Picked Magmetic 5W20 for my EB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally forgot I bought 3, 5 quart jugs of Castrol Magnetic 5W20 on clearance last December. $10 bucks.
After reading here it is a 'sleeper' oil.

The current oil is from the dealer of unknown brand. I need to call and find out.
It already smells like fuel. This was a used car.

I choose the Motorcraft FL-910S filter.

I'm surprised that Ford called for 5w20 in the 1.6T while calling for 5w30 in the 2.0T.
Magnatec is on the thicker side of 5w20's so I think it's a good choice here.

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
I totally forgot I bought 3, 5 quart jugs of Castrol Magnetic 5W20 on clearance last December.

It's like Christmas in May!

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
I totally forgot I bought 3, 5 quart jugs of Castrol Magnetic 5W20 on clearance last December.

That's like checking an old pair of jeans and finding a $20 note in the pocket.

Magnatec is good oil and the 5W20 is a full synthetic I believe.

Originally Posted By: slybunda
Is it a group 4 synthetic?

I think the Magnatec is probably a Group 3 (HC) synthetic. For Group 4 (PAO) you need to be looking at Edge 0W40, Edge 10W60, probably Edge 0W30, and I'm not sure about any of the Castrol 0W20 products (I haven't read into the 0W20's yet).

But that Magnatec "intelligent molecules" is really a stupid marketing name for polar molecules, which would probably be classified as a Group 5 oil. This would only be a small amount, but it's there.

I mean I don't really know, only Castrol does, and they are not telling. But I think the synthetic Castrol Magnatec is a Group 3 and Group 5 mix. Sure the majority will be Group 3, but I still think a Group 3 & Group 5 mix is pretty interesting as an affordable everyday oil. It certainly performs very well and produces some excellent Used Oil Analysis with low wear numbers and good viscosity stability.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back