Pressure washer...WTH?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my 2nd pressure washer now (different brand) and it's doing the same thing my last one did. I plug it in, hook up the hose, turn the water on, turn on the pressure washer and the pump will run for a few seconds, then it turns off by itself and won't turn back on. If fact, I have to wait like 24 hours before it will turn back on again. It's like some safety breaker is tripping that automatically resets itself once the bad condition clears, but I don't know what's causing this. Is it just a cheap POS, or am I doing something wrong? I don't get it...

I'd check your cord and outlet for flaky connections. If it's an outdoor GFCI outlet, it may not be tripping since they need to be manually reset, but I have had the outdoor GFCIs succumb to the elements and get flaky contacts in them. Heavy loads will cause dirty contacts to overheat and fail. Try it again, and if it stops, plug in a lamp or small load and see if it still works. Electric pressure washers usually have a GFCI built into the plug, and occasionally mine needs to be reset after plugging it in.

Hate to say it but you get what you pay for my 10year old Honda GX and CAT pump combo runs like the day I bought it and I work the snot out of it little up front cost but quility is the trade off.

1: connect to wall outlet directly. Does it have a breaker on the plug itself? Mine had a breaker on the plug that would trip. Does ur wall outlet have the reset button? Ur sure its the machine and not linked to your plug? Try a completely different outlet.

You wouldn't believe how many pressure washers I went through from Lowes. I bought 3, and every single one of them was defective.

I ended up buying an attachment for my air compressor that hooks up to the garden hose. Found it on eBay for like $ 15. Craftsman makes it. Best purchase ever.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Hate to say it but you get what you pay for my 10year old Honda GX and CAT pump combo runs like the day I bought it and I work the snot out of it little up front cost but quility is the trade off.

A big +1. Yesterday I was given a 11 HP Honda powered Simpson belt driven pressure washer for free. It sat outside in my buddies yard behind his shed for probably 6 or more years. I have a similar machine and had a carburetor for it sitting in a box in my garage. I dropped the bowl on the carb on the machine and it was rotted and loaded with [censored]. I took off the gas tank, cleaned it out real good, did an MMO piston soak and installed the new carb. A few hours later I went back to it, it started on the first pull. After a few adjustments to the carb it runs like new. IMO for pressure washers the only way to go is gas.

It isn't an extension cord, or the GFI outlet, or even the switch on the power cord plug, it's something inside the compressor that's shutting down and I don't know why. It acts like it thinks there's some sort of unacceptable condition present, so it shuts down. I think it's just a cheap POS and that's why this keeps happening...of course all this junk is made in China now...you can't buy anything made in the states anymore and this is the result...

Originally Posted By: grampi
It isn't an extension cord, or the GFI outlet, or even the switch on the power cord plug, it's something inside the compressor that's shutting down and I don't know why. It acts like it thinks there's some sort of unacceptable condition present, so it shuts down. I think it's just a cheap POS and that's why this keeps happening...of course all this junk is made in China now...you can't buy anything made in the states anymore and this is the result...
Just a false statement open the wallet and get a decent unit. Don't cry to others when you want to be cheap.

Just a false statement open the wallet and get a decent unit. Don't cry to others when you want to be cheap.

Even a cheap one should work for more than one or two times...jeez...

Take it back get your money back or better yet get another one see how that works out for ya don't blame China you're the one that bought it and yes you can buy a USA built machine you just want to shop for China junk.

Take it back get your money back or better yet get another one see how that works out for ya don't blame China you're the one that bought it and yes you can buy a USA built machine you just want to shop for China junk.

Why so nasty, did someone urinate in your Wheaties?

I could come over and urinate on that power washer if you like but sounds like it not even worth that
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back