Lifespan of Maxima Castor 927 once mixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the lubrication of fuel premixed with a Castor-based oil start to degrade once mixed?

I read somewhere (that I can't find anymore) that the lubrication of Castor oil degrades over time once mixed with fuel and has to be used right away. I'd like to switch to Maxima 927 oil on a 2-stroke 250cc dirtbike but fuel can sit around for a week or two before being used.

Is this an issue, ignoring the fact that the fuel itself will degrade over time?

Castor oil polymerises with time and oxygen exposure, but in fuel I'd think that'd take longer than a couple of weeks to be significant. It'd still be a lubricant when somewhat polymerised.

I suppose there could be some specific reaction with fuel but I don't know what it would be.

You could perhaps do a crude blotter test on premixed fuel as it ages which might give some clue.

i do not use maxima...but i do use another castor based product, klotz super techiniplate. my fuel is 50/50 91 ethanol-free and 110 vp purple leaded. i have used this stuff after a few months with no ill effects..i have let it sit in a glass jar and monitored to see if anything visual happens and it seems to stay clear and mixed.

i have used the klotz forever but started mixing my fuel to get around 100 octane and avoid ethanol.
a bonus is that is smells utterly fantastic!

OT, I've always thought that if I ever have another two stroke Lawnboy, I'll use a castor based two stroke oil in the fuel.
I also like the scent. It's the incense of racing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back