M1-207 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came off a 1987 Comanche with the 4.0. This is basically the metric brother of the M1-204 (Fram xx16). Not sure on mileage, but was in service just under 3 years with 10w30 PYB. Reinstalled another M1 and some M1 TDT 5w40.

Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't look too impressive for a premium priced oil filter.

No problems there. I used them for years, they slowly priced themselves out of the market for me. Soon it will be Fram Ultra exclusively.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't look too impressive for a premium priced oil filter.

Could use a few more pleats considering it's supposed to be considered as a premium filter.

Looks good, did the job:)

Thanks for all your cut and posts
smile.gif

That was my point.
The OP cut two much less costly filters that looked as good or better.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
That was my point.
The OP cut two much less costly filters that looked as good or better.

I agree, but I am not sure M1 filters look like now.

These are from 2008 or so. They were $1 each.

Yeah that's no good..

I have no issues with the filters, but I won't pay full price. That's for sure.

RockAuto was doing a closeout on the M1 EP filters and I bought a bunch. Turns out they were all 10 years old, hence the clearance sale. I cut one open and everything inside looked great, nitrile and glue were still soft and pliable, filter element wasn't dry or crusty or flaky. Maybe due to good storage conditions, maybe due to quality filter, maybe both. My only question was about the sealing gasket / o-ring still holding pressure after sitting 10 years in storage.

Originally Posted By: DGXR
RockAuto was doing a closeout on the M1 EP filters and I bought a bunch. Turns out they were all 10 years old, hence the clearance sale. I cut one open and everything inside looked great, nitrile and glue were still soft and pliable, filter element wasn't dry or crusty or flaky. Maybe due to good storage conditions, maybe due to quality filter, maybe both. My only question was about the sealing gasket / o-ring still holding pressure after sitting 10 years in storage.

I've used filters that were almost 10 years old without issue in my old Firebird. As long as it was stored in a climate controlled environment and it's not rusty, I say go for it. They held up fine for me using 3k OCIs of fairly hard driving and long periods of time without being driven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back