Supertech ELC & NAPA Cool for 7.3 powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a larger elephant in the room that everyone is forgetting here: The diesel cycle's effect on the cylinder liners

The reason why traditional coolants are not good for diesel engines is because of cylinder liner pitting and cavitation. Every time a diesel's cylinder undergoes a power stroke, the coolant around the cylinder liner erupts with tiny air bubbles that eat the cylinder liner, as cavitation does to metals.

A heavy duty coolant meant for diesel engines has additives that prevent this from happening.

PFCG and Rotella ELC are perfectly acceptable for your engine.

If I were you, I would just do the total flush and convert over to an appropriate coolant.

I am using NAPA cool for cavitation, which it is designed for, so I'm not at all worried about that. Ford's original spec is regular green with and SCA additive. So addressing the cavitation factor is a given. I'm only concerned with the right chemistry for pump lubrication and the longevity of seals and the cleanliness of the system.

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with an appropriate ELC.

I've converted all of my trucks and equipment to Rotella ELC. Plays well with everything, and nothing to monitor. I haven't had any unusual seal or component failures as a result.

Dump it in with nothing to mix, and nothing to monitor or maintain. No SCA or silicates to drop out.

Yes I agree HD ELC is the premium if you flush everything

While Supertech doesn't list the ASTM standards it meets ... Carquest does list the standards it meets in its equivalent ASTM D3306 which is the standard for ethylene glycol and D4985 which the standard for HD diesels needing SCA additives. So Carquest should meet the Ford spec. I'm not sure how different Supertech would be. These coolants are both ethylene based even though they have some of the 2EHA additive.

Last edited:
Most common AF's are ethylene glycol based. Goes for IATS, OATS, HOATS (G-05) and even Asian PHOATS. It's the inhibitors they use that makes them different. There are propylene glycol based AF's, but they are in the extreme minority.

I looked up Shell Rotella ELC and Shell Rotella Ultra ELC. It 'seems' from several sources that the first does contain 2eha, the second does not.

As said, some members mention liking Peak Final Charge Global. Meets the diesel specs, extended service interval OAT and no 2eha. Below is the SDS sheet.

https://www.peakhd.com/wp-content/upload...lant.pdf?x38462

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I would be concerned about the orings in the oil cooler. Are they compatable with the addative in dexclones that eats plastic and rubber parts?

Dexcool eats plastic and rubber??
gm used gaskets that are not compatable with dexcool. Thats why so many intake gaskets leak with it but not with green.

I think GM used sub par gaskets period. I don't think the coolant had anything to do with it.

Be it poor gasket quality or a neglected cooling system.. Dexcool get's blamed regardless.

Honestly, I would flush out whatever concoction is in there now with distilled water. When everything comes out clear, pull your lower radiator hose and at least one block plug and drain it as best as you can. Add 4 gallons Rotella ELC concentrate and 4 gallons distilled. Call it good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: T-Stick
or just the Peak Global

Since FoMoCo specs either original green or G05 for the vehicle, I'd say yep. PGL, Long Life OAT AF with no 2eha. As an aside, been running it in my Tacoma for over three years now. Not a diesel of course.

As for Dexcool I'd run it now in vehicles spec'd for it, ie., with gaskets, orings and hoses designed for it. New FoMoCo vehicles are that way now.

As for older GM using Dex, combine it with cheap plastic 'type' gaskets, angle neck rad fill hole and non pressurized recovery tank which made filling the system to the top very difficult, a recipe for failure 'imo'.

I've noticed some disagreement on this among professionals ... I've largely concluded that I'm fine with my setup for now and will change over to Peak GFC with a series of drain and refills in time. While the universal coolant may not be the best available for every application, I've not read of one documented problem with it in a diesel when using SCA additives, confirming with test strips, and using reasonable change intervals.

Originally Posted By: T-Stick
I've noticed some disagreement on this among professionals ... I've largely concluded that I'm fine with my setup for now and will change over to Peak GFC with a series of drain and refills in time. While the universal coolant may not be the best available for every application, I've not read of one documented problem with it in a diesel when using SCA additives, confirming with test strips, and using reasonable change intervals.

Sounds like a sensible solution that doesn't waste a bunch of still-good coolant.

smile.gif

I would be concerned about the orings in the oil cooler. Are they compatable with the addative in dexclones that eats plastic and rubber parts?
This !!! You want to run Peak Final charge.

Originally Posted By: CDX825
I would dump the dexclone mix asap.

The sealant used on the injector cups on these engines is not compatible with 2EHA.

Do you have any hard data indicating failure that can be directly attributed to the use of a universal coolant with 2EHA on the 7.3 Powerstroke?

Originally Posted By: CT8
This !!! You want to run Peak Final charge.

+1

Well I haven't seen any evidence provided that would cause me alarm, but I decided to do a drain and refill with with Peak Global Final Charge. This should ensure all my old coolant is replaced with new silicate free coolant and should sufficiently dilute any potential issues with the 2EHA if they are an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back