Remington circling the drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully after (if) emerging from bankruptcy, they can move to a better labor state (a non-union southern state), replace some AGING machinery with the latest in CNC stuff, put a guy in charge of quality control that cares about the product, and take the profit to the bank.

There entire R&D department couldn't design a kids toy. They all need fired. They couldn't make a nice service pistol if they tried.

Oh, and hire some talent that knows a little about guns. Their last several handguns have been absolute failures. Because they were garbage.

And anyone contemplating buying one of those $250 pistols, throw your money in a fire pit first. At least you would get the warmth out of the money.

Remington = bad press Model 700 bolt action center fire rifles which still lingers - I like their shotguns though as Model 870 pump is a classic as were Model 1100's and to a degree the Model 11-87's .

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Remington = bad press Model 700 bolt action center fire rifles which still lingers - I like their shotguns though as Model 870 pump is a classic as were Model 1100's and to a degree the Model 11-87's .

I almost bought a new 1100 last year, but up close it was not as nicely fitted as the 1980's era one I owned before. The only thing I hated on that old gun was the pressed checkering they used in that era.

But yes the design team definitely needs canned.

I know it has been a couple of days, but I have been mulling this over. If I was Cerberus/Freedom here is what I would do.

I would keep the ammo division intact. It is an obvious money maker, even if shortages slow down there are TONS of firearms out there with the sales numbers we have been seeing. Keeping a consumable commodity makes sense.

Then they should split off their firearms division and sell it. The name still has some value and they also have new state of the art plants in Kentucky and Alabama. It could provide an inroad for a foreign manufacturer like Canik, KBP, IWI or CZ. Honestly, CZ would be the perfect fit.

Buying Remington would give CZ domestic manufacturing for their products. They could also use the Remington name for entry level fare. Keep the RM380, add the RAMI, the 870 shotgun, etc. CZ could be upper end handguns, sporting rifles, shotguns and sub-machine guns... all of which they have in their current catalog. They could then more easily market their products to government and LE.

Close Ilion, NY down, cut the fat, and define both lines. It makes me wish I was running CZ so I could pitch it to Cerberus.

Totally agree. Along with CZ, Steyr would also be a great fit for local manufacturing and they already have a presence in Alabama. They have fantastic stuff, but seem to have struggled penetrating the American market to any great degree.

Originally Posted By: 28oz
Totally agree. Along with CZ, Steyr would also be a great fit for local manufacturing and they already have a presence in Alabama. They have fantastic stuff, but seem to have struggled penetrating the American market to any great degree.

We will see how the Steyr lawsuit against Sig goes...they may get some fat checks.

Another thing that is probably keeping the Remington 700 in sales is the fact that the after market is flush with modifications, add-ons and doodads. Check Brownell's catalog some time - it's like the AR, the 1911 and the 700 are the anchors for everything else.

I do agree that giving CZ a domestic plant would be a great thing. They have always made quality stuff (well, except for their motorcycles maybe) especially their Mauser 98 pattern bolt rifles.

That was a great movie - should bring it back with the Sultan of Sears playing the useless [removed] role ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I inherited several remingtons. They are fantastic guns... But with todays options i feel they are really over priced.

my dads 870 is apparently worth over 1k new...

The gun i have can be Bought for no less then $700.

Id never pay those prices for hunting guns...

Its sad they aren't doing well... But when i cut my finger on the rough finish of a $900 7600, it doesn't shcock me

Pretty sad, really. First rifle I shot was a Remington, shot my first deer with a Remington, shot my first 25 in trap with Remington. Now I won't buy anything Remington unless it's 15+ years old.

Remington can still pull out of this. But it will take Cerberus Capitol Management being willing to sell at a loss to their investors. That's hard to do without people dumping Freedom Group stock all together. Which will drive them into an even deeper hole. Remington's problem is not it's products, but rather it's baggage. Both financial and legal. Law suits and payouts over the Walker and X-Pro Trigger systems have drained them financially over the years. And all the while most all of the owners including DuPont, took from the company, and added nothing to it in regards to modernization of equipment. All the while that was taking place overpaid union employees were milking them dry.

Add it all up and the old gal has nothing left to give. If they get sold cheap enough to a company with enough venture capital to invest in it, and at the same time be willing to be patient enough before seeing a return on their investment, they could turn the company around. But they also need better marketing. In that they need to stick with proven products that have sold well over the years. And stop with the cheap, non 1911 pistols, and other loser products that no one is currently buying, or is ever going to buy. And of course the, "Trump gun glut" isn't helping anyone in the firearms business. Sales of all the major gun manufacturers is way off, compared to what it's been for the last 8 years living under fear of increased legislation that no longer exists.

There are a number of people that make most of the parts you need for a Remchester. I wouldn't buy a new Remington but they make great donors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back