CAFE conspiracy nonsense disproved (RIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: doyall
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Took the words from my mouth. This is just plain trolling on the OPs part.

+1 Marked to ignore.

Lighten up, guys. It was a joke. 6000 SUX was a car everyone wanted in the movie. Lol at the 8.2 MPG. That 0.2 is important. Perhaps thanks to CAFE.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Not to mention that ISIS is a big user of that truck - and they never know what oil the next village will have for free ...
wink.gif

(Toyota gave them great latitude)

Their trucks have a negligible life span...

Originally Posted By: Brigadier

You know how environmental activists are. You MUST agree with them, or be sent off to re-education camps.....same old story as old as history.

Dramaqueen much?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
but...
* CAFE was enacted in 1975
* all of the early papers which I've found that include this new synthetic 5W20 were based around economy while seeing if wear protection was maintained.

That's fine, but it goes both ways. You mentioned 10W-40 in the time of Jaws, but well into the late 1980's and even 90's, many manufacturers had statements like "5W-30 not recommended for sustained high-speed driving" or the like in their manuals. 5W-20 is just an extension of this and of course there is really no more demonstrable wear that there is with 5W-30 that anyone as ever actually discerned. We've been going to thinner and thinner oils all along and Mobil 1 WAS NOT the only 5W-20 back then (but certainly the only one I would have used).

Most sentiments of the thick oilers here are based largely on a sense of paranoia and sentiments of being a [censored] rebel for using thicker oils mandated by big brother. It seems sort of like a lot of nonsense. I could care less what you use in your cars, use SAE40 for all I care, but there really is not definitive science either way....

bikerdude.272.jpg

"The [censored] with you hippies! I'll never put 0W-20 in my Mitsubishi Mirage! Durka durrrr!!!!!

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
but...
* all of the early papers which I've found that include this new synthetic 5W20 were based around economy while seeing if wear protection was maintained.

That's fine, but it goes both ways. You mentioned 10W-40 in the time of Jaws, but well into the late 1980's and even 90's, many manufacturers had statements like "5W-30 not recommended for sustained high-speed driving" or the like in their manuals. 5W-20 is just an extension of this and of course there is really no more demonstrable wear that there is with 5W-30 that anyone as ever actually discerned. We've been going to thinner and thinner oils all along and Mobil 1 WAS NOT the only 5W-20 back then (but certainly the only one I would have used).

Most sentiments of the thick oilers here are based largely on a sense of paranoia and sentiments of being a [censored] rebel for using thicker oils mandated by big brother. It seems sort of like a lot of nonsense. I could care less what you use in your cars, use SAE40 for all I care, but there really is not definitive science either way....

bikerdude.272.jpg

"The [censored] with you hippies! I'll never put 0W-20 in my Mitsubishi Mirage! Durka durrrr!!!!!

Might use 0W-20 in my car then, sure the oil pressure gauge would not move much ever but eh that's fine
laugh.gif
No seriously i use 20W-50 Because that is what the owner's manual recomends for hot climates and it will not hold enough oil pressure when the engine gets hot with 40 grades, and on my daily driver Peugeot i jse it to quiet down the valve tick and it also burns oil soooo... not because i think i'm cool.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
but...

bikerdude.272.jpg

Might use 0W-20 in my car then, sure the oil pressure gauge would not move much ever but eh that's fine
laugh.gif
No seriously i use 20W-50 Because that is what the owner's manual recomends for hot climates and it will not hold enough oil pressure when the engine gets hot with 40 grades, and on my daily driver Peugeot i jse it to quiet down the valve tick and it also burns oil soooo... not because i think i'm cool.

Use what your owners' manual recommends and I surely would do the same. But use a synthetic 20W-50 IMHO..

bikerdude.272.jpg

Another constructive NickedFresh post that brings facts and data to a thread.

As to the science...the science IS that thinner oils have lower MOFT...even you can't deny that fact.

Whether you need it or not, (and whether YOU like it or not) it is a fact.

my Caprice specs 20W50, .......I've had 30s in it for ages...

You Hippie

Hippie-bike.jpg

Last edited:

bikerdude.272.jpg

As to the science...the science IS that thinner oils have lower MOFT...even you can't deny that fact.

LOL Thanks for the lesson on science, I'll keep that in mind when you start more silly debunked pseudoscience threads...

Right back at'cha' bro.
smile.gif
Maybe we can look into Remote Viewing together...

I could care less about your fact. My post is called "an opinion" and was meant as somewhat tongue and cheek. After all, we apparently have poor souls that believe they're going to be arrested and sent to FEMA Camps by the EPA if they use thicker oils or something...

Conspiracy is a bit much. CAFE exists, as Shannow has shown, and it's not a conspiracy. More cause and effect. To meet CAFE mpg targets, the auto manufacturers are looking at all aspects of vehicle design to find more mpg. That includes oil viscosity. I don't think 5w-20 oil is bad, I just think 10w-30 is a little better.

I don't get the fervor, it's like some posters are arguing religion... Put what you want in your car and quit wielding your keyboards in anger....

Yet, you ignore the fact that there is no scientific evidence that higher minimum oil-film thickness (MOFT) reduces wear in gasoline-engine bearings, assuming you have halfway-decent oil filtration. You either have an oil film or you don't. It doesn't matter how thick it is as long as it doesn't break down. In fact, thicker it is, less the horsepower and fuel economy.

I have also seen no evidence of bearing damage in GMs, Fords, Toyotas, Hondas, etc. that run xW-20.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I believe gokhan may be the first user on bitog I put on ignore list.

He's #2 on my ignore user list. First preached to world how "ungodly" M1 0w40 is and now 0w20 TGMO is. What a total joker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back