Everglide EGS Oil Additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the response. So you say that you've run standard tests on the additive that mirror the (hard to locate) information on their website?

One really wonders why they don't quickly sell the material to an oil company or formulator. Do you know why they don't?

Originally Posted By: drfuelinstein

...How many engine oil manufacturers do you think actually publish the volatility numbers on the package of oil they are selling you?

None. It is usually stated on the Product Data Sheet. Besides, how many consumers are that educated as to an oil's volativity?

PQIA? Very familiar as one of our members is a contributor.

Hi kschachn

Good Question and the answer is not as of yet. The Engine Polygraph Technology is the most remarkable engine testing technology I have ever used. It see areas in the engine OBD, an emissions check or even a dyno cannot see. While the engine is running no less.
My opinion is it is going to take the snake out of Snakeoil. I am talking to the folks at Everglide they are willing to have me test it. I will keep you informed. On another note I inherited a 2012 toyota venza with only 42,000 miles on it from my recently passed father. He was religious about taking it to the dealer for service. Interestingly enough it was telling me it needed an oil change. So for the first time in my life I went to the Amsoil Warehouse near the las Vegas Speedway. I bought the Amsoil signature series engine oil for the Toyota. Those things have 6.5 quart oil capacities! Anyway I test the engine prior to changing to the Amsoil and then 20 minutes after the change when the engine was warmed up to operating temperature. The difference was noticeable. However my roommate she need to go to socal for a couple days. This would give the car some good highway time. I tested the vehicle when she got back and the difference was absolutely STUNNING!.I am a first time user of Amsoil and I cannot believe the documented results. The stuff is worth the money. I you want to see the before and after reports email me direct at drfuelinstein at yahoo dot com and I will forward them over. I would never have believe it if I did not test it with Engine Polygraph. Oh in closing there was a noticeable difference in how the engine ran. I was smoother, quieter and more responsive.

Best Regards
Mike

Hi Molakule,

Being a reader of this forum I honestly never thought I would get to chat with you. I am honored. You do some really good stuff here.
As far as volatility goes? Well in my opinion the public has just not been properly informed. I recently had a conversation with one of the technically astute folks at Savant Labs in Michigan. As I understand it engine oil volatility is one of the best kept secrets in the business with respect to public awareness. I think that may be changing soon?

Thanks for your interest
Kindest Regards
Mike

Hi Mike, glad to hear from another person involved in Tribology and engine testing. I have used Savant in the past as one of many contracted lab testing facilities when developing lubricants.

It will be interesting to see your results of Everglide and the number of engine parameters monitored.

In my view the best set of test results as to wear, albeit expensive and time consuming, is the before and after physical measurements of component parts.

In terms of the effects of friction modification additives, a well monitored operational engine is a good method to determine their effects.

I question any multi-nanoparticle OTC additive until its efficacy has been thoroughly proven by proper and comprehensive testing. On-site Lab tests and simulations only provide a partial answer.

Apparently the Everglide OTC additive contains a Group V base oil, most likely a trimethyl-propionate ester (TMP) and a mix of moly and graphene nano-particles. The question is does this mix provide a synergistic combination, or does the Group V base oil provide provide the major alleged reduction in friction?

Most modern oils today already contain a MoDTC component as well as an ester. As much as the topic of Graphene has captured technical paper main titles, the main application of graphene's seems to be in integrated circuits as of today.

As to volatility, the lower the volatility the less ash and other deposits that will accumulate on valve surfaces, spark plug insulators, and CATs, and is an important specification.

In my view, ashless detergents, dispersants, anti-wear additives, and friction modifiers will do much to reduce deposits until we get to formulations with 1% volatility.

Last edited:
The other thing is that the ANL article is interesting, but may or may not be representative of use in a formulated motor oil and in an operating engine. Nor do you know that the compounds used in the additive are exactly the same as those found effective in the article, nor whether the concentration is correct.

Unfortunately it is typical that an isolated technical paper is used for proof that some company's product is similarly effective.

Originally Posted By: drfuelinstein
Well in my opinion the public has just not been properly informed. I recently had a conversation with one of the technically astute folks at Savant Labs in Michigan. As I understand it engine oil volatility is one of the best kept secrets in the business with respect to public awareness. I think that may be changing soon?

That may be true, but outside of BITOGers, so few people really care. I'd love more information about everything, and many here would, too, but the public doesn't understand and doesn't wish to understand. They still don't get the Starburst, and that's been around for decades.

I recently purchased some Everglide from Amazon. I'm not a Chemical Engineer or oil scientist. But, I've been building my own race cars for years.
I haven't used it yet, but looking at it and giving it the 'sniff test'.....
It feels/smells like 70W Gear Oil with Moly or Tungsten Disulfide (WS2) in it. I DO have a LOT of experience with HBN, Moly, and WS2 from having coated thousands of bullets with them, for years.

Currently rebuilding one of my hot rods and will add a bottle just for grins.

ron

Hello everyone,

I do not post here too often but I find this topic very interesting and on top of that when the tone of the conversation turns so respectful such as when drfuelinstein (Mike) started to post then I am more motivated to participate. So thank you very much for this!

I also agree that the mainstream automotive oils have perhaps not kept up with the more demanding requirements on smaller gasoline direct injection turbo charged engines to run more efficient, same or better performance (horsepower and/or torque) and less overall environmental footprint. So how can you have an oil in these engines that has optimal properties to minimize wear, fuel dilution, oxidation, volatility, etc. AND last at least 10,000 miles before needing change (assuming the oil filter is also up to the ta sk)? Perhaps a high quality oil such as Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 (NOACK around 5.6), Amsoil European Car Formula 5W-30 (NOACK 7.1) and others are up to the task but what about the majority of other mainstream automotive oils; are they up to the task? If not can an oil additive such as Everglide EGS help fill the gap until the mainstream automotive oils 'catch up'?

Another question I would like to ask: has there been any studies done comparing nano hexagonal boron nitride (hBN) based oil additive to the ones with Graphene (nano based also)?

Looking forward continuing our civil conversation.

Originally Posted By: SR1919

...I also agree that the mainstream automotive oils have perhaps not kept up with the more demanding requirements on smaller gasoline direct injection turbo charged engines to run more efficient, same or better performance (horsepower and/or torque) and less overall environmental footprint.

I don't agree that they haven't kept up as we have not seen reports of massive engine failures.

As usual, we have to ask the question: "What chemistry have the formulators NOT included in finished oils that have created those massive unreported engine failures."

So how can you have an oil in these engines that has optimal properties to minimize wear, fuel dilution, oxidation, volatility, etc. AND last at least 10,000 miles before needing change (assuming the oil filter is also up to the ta sk)? Perhaps a high quality oil such as Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 (NOACK around 5.6), Amsoil European Car Formula 5W-30 (NOACK 7.1) and others are up to the task but what about the majority of other mainstream automotive oils; are they up to the task? If not can an oil additive such as Everglide EGS help fill the gap until the mainstream automotive oils 'catch up'?

And without substantive proof and thorough testing with public disclosure of those results, why can anyone say Everglide has any advantage when added to finished engine oils already on the market.

Another question I would like to ask: has there been any studies done comparing nano hexagonal boron nitride (hBN) based oil additive to the ones with Graphene (nano based also)?

Looking forward continuing our civil conversation.

I have yet to see one, although there may be researchers out there working on a future paper.

Last edited:
MolaKule, thanks for your response. When I was talking about current mainstream motor oils 'not keeping up' I was not referring to 'massive engine failures' but rather that these supermarket oils are showing early signs of degradation in the form of oil sludge, deposits, oil dilution, etc. The solution is to change the oil every 5000 miles or even sooner. You see these complains about mainstream oils when you read car forums such as the one about the new Hyundai 1.6 turbo engine and other downsized direct injection gasoline engines (Subaru, VW and other newer gasoline engines comes to mind also).

Any my no means I a m saying a specific product such as Everglide is the fix. The point I want to make is that if you want an engine oil to last longer (10,000 miles or more) with less pollution in today's latest smaller more efficient gasoline engines the traditional approach of engine oil formulation is not working and perhaps we should be looking 'out of the box' with things like nano technology to bridge the gap.

I hope I added some clarity to my previous post.

I'm very interested in this stuff for my 6.0 PSD. As many of you know the HEUI injector system in these is finicky as heck and additives to decrease friction and increase lubricity in these motors is a great thing and seems to help greatly with injector stiction.

I looked at their site in detail and I see they offer the synthetic version as well as a conventional version. But the descriptions are quite vague as to which does what and where to use each product.

Can I use the Syn product with my conventional Valvoline Premium Blue oil that I have in my truck now or do I need to use the conventional formula? I'm very curious to see the results of this stuff in a PSD and I've wasted may more than $27 in the past on things!

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Can I use the Syn product with my conventional Valvoline Premium Blue oil that I have in my truck now or do I need to use the conventional formula?

I would contact them directly for an answer. They are quite knowledgeable about their products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back