Berkeley Professor arrested for Assault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B

Anti-Trump... you get arrested and your life is ruined.

Pro-Trump... you get elected to the Senate.

Comments like that will get this thread locked.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B

Anti-Trump... you get arrested and your life is ruined.

Pro-Trump... you get elected to the Senate.

Comments like that will get this thread locked.

Perhaps.

But the underlying assertion that there is a double standard is supported. I can cite examples from both sides of the political aisle since I don't claim to a member of either.

First example, how many of those setting fires and looting in Ferguson were arrested, went to trial and then jail?

Second example, those who participated in the Bundy standoff. While I realize there is a trial going on, how many were actually arrested and jailed?

Bottom line, people on both sides of the aisle can say with some degree of accuracy that in some cases, there is a double standard.

I.E. Bernie Madoff isn't doing hard time, compared to a guy who was a three time loser busted for holding too much dope.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
The Fox team WERE the witnesses to Gianforte's alleged assault. I think V_P is referring to the 19th post, where that is explained with a link to an article written by one of the witnesses: Fox Reporter's Article about the Incident

Well that link didn't work, but I did find an article which mentioned the witnesses. So no video, just audio and some witnesses. Regardless, hitting multiple people over the head with a bike lock causing serious injury and caught on video is probably different than body slamming someone. Plus the other shoe hasn't dropped, usually it takes a while for charges and the like to happen.

Originally Posted By: pbm
It is a pretty well known fact that a college students grades will suffer if they espouse conservative views....this is also WRONG...

[off-topic]
Question: if parents of said students have lived in one of the now defunct stalinist/communist/Khmer rouge states, so they bring first hand experiences to discussion, what would be the reaction of said teaching personnel? (hypothetically)
[/off-topic]

Here's another one of our INTOLERANT 'educators'.....

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/04/08/...ican-democracy/

This guy should be charged with SEDITION and 'hate speech' and not just fired....and I'm pretty sure this POS has a PHD.

That wackadoo looks to be proof of the point that you can go pretty far in education, without very much in the smarts department.

We actually had a genuine, round the traitors up, federal sedition trial here. All of the defendants were acquitted of those charges, as they should have been. The right of free speech protected them. It protects that clown ^^^^. But he shouldn't be on a public payroll.

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1988/Defend...0be35445b12d059

There are some misunderstandings here about the bias of teachers and professors. Here is something a little more telling...

Quote:
Study finds that the more students engage with faculty members and academics, the more their political views moderate. Student [extra-curricular] activities are what appear to encourage those already leaning left or right to tilt further.
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2014...liberal-college

Quote:
"There's some pretty good evidence that going to college leads people to have more liberal attitudes on social issues, in particular on issues of tolerance, of difference and issues of gender equity," said Neil Gross, sociology professor at Colby College, who has studied liberalism at colleges... [A] possibility, Gross says, might be the growing numbers of women getting college and advanced degrees. Women also in general tend to vote for Democrats more than men. So as the population of highly educated people grew more female, that may have swung it left. But then, Gross has also written about strong evidence that college really doesn't move people's broader political beliefs (about, for example, the size of government) that much.
http://www.npr.org/2016/04/30/475794063/why-are-highly-educated-americans-getting-more-liberal

So college tends to moderate students' views when the students spend a lot of time with the professors, and in general student views on politics do not change much in college. While it is true that professors tend to be more liberal on social issues related to tolerance, they tend to be moderate to conservative in other areas like economic policy.

Originally Posted By: WillsYoda
There are some misunderstandings here about the bias of teachers and professors. Here is something a little more telling...

Quote:
Study finds that the more students engage with faculty members and academics, the more their political views moderate. Student [extra-curricular] activities are what appear to encourage those already leaning left or right to tilt further.
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2014...liberal-college

Quote:
"There's some pretty good evidence that going to college leads people to have more liberal attitudes on social issues, in particular on issues of tolerance, of difference and issues of gender equity," said Neil Gross, sociology professor at Colby College, who has studied liberalism at colleges... [A] possibility, Gross says, might be the growing numbers of women getting college and advanced degrees. Women also in general tend to vote for Democrats more than men. So as the population of highly educated people grew more female, that may have swung it left. But then, Gross has also written about strong evidence that college really doesn't move people's broader political beliefs (about, for example, the size of government) that much.
http://www.npr.org/2016/04/30/475794063/why-are-highly-educated-americans-getting-more-liberal

So college tends to moderate students' views when the students spend a lot of time with the professors, and in general student views on politics do not change much in college. While it is true that professors tend to be more liberal on social issues related to tolerance, they tend to be moderate to conservative in other areas like economic policy.

The vast majority of INTOLERANCE on campus seems to come from the left. It's quite common for leftists to shout down opposing points of view if that opposing point of view is even permitted to speak at the campus at all.

When was the last time you remember conservatives protesting and getting VIOLENT towards a liberal guest at the campus?

I still believe that most college campuses are hotbeds of liberalism and their nasty attitude (and often violent actions) towards those that disagree with them is very unbecoming for supposedly 'educated' people.

Just last week at a college commencement the students booed and turned their back on the Secretary of Education.....many believe they were encouraged on by their professors because of her stance on school choice and charter schools which the teachers unions vehemently oppose.

I don't recognize the university where I received my undergraduate anymore. It appears that politics has taken over from academics. There are too many examples to list but one that stands out is a lecture series that features to most radical far leaning leftist speakers you can imagine. When I asked one of the professors about a balanced agenda with the inclusion of some conservative speakers he quickly responded that they are not welcome here. He stated that it would only undermine the message our university brings to the student body. I don't visit there, anymore. I'm done with them.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
While the sentiment of this thread is preaching to the choir ( at least in my case ), I think wealthy alumni will contribute to their alma maters or programs that they believe in whether that involves their name on a building or an ongoing scholarship program or not. They won't hold back funds based on how thoroughly politicized they think a university system, administration, student body or climate is if it furthers a philanthropic goal. Many wealthy donors are involved with the universities at a granular level that doesn't involve idjits with bike locks or anarchist scum that are there to agitate. It might be hard to understand this but sometimes everything doesn't fit into an ideological box governed by an "us and them" sentiment. Shocking...I know.

At least here, Univeristy of Missouri did suffer after the Melissa Click incident I mentioned before. Enrollment was down 25% the next school year.

Many alumni, my wife included, haven't donated since. It also made it easier to no renew our Mizzou football season tickets.

I don't recall how much they said donations were down. The only figure I recall was the enrollment and as I said, about 25% maybe lower, but certainly more than a 20% drop.

It does matter to some alumni and impacts their choices to send their kids to the school.

True...and it can really depend on your outlook. If there's an expectation of everything being looked at through a prism of racism, sexism, homophobia, and your worldview on the wearing of real fur and using styrofoam cups...and my current favorite...asking if sex toys are gentrified or not...then I'd probably be persuaded to look elsewhere.

I'm a proud UC grad and I view UC Berkeley as one of the best ( maybe THE best ) overall public universities in the U.S. At Berkeley, I wouldn't expect an admissions drop unless 5 buildings and a dorm were blown up. I don't judge it by anti-Trump rallies or Ann Coulter cancelling appearances as by what it has to offer academically and the catalysts it can create for business, research, discoveries and my own growth. IMO, the fact that they have large donors from the right and the left of the political spectrum means that it's an important place first and fomenter of anti-free speech intolerance somewhere down the list. Others might place an emphasis differently than I do, but I can only judge it by my experience with the University of California.

Maybe I'm a bit fatalistic but I expect academia to be predictable first and foremost...so it can really depend on how you, your offspring, or family interpret goings on there. Melissa Click isn't anything new, it's just she had the opportunity to be in front of the camera and play act her long held regret of missing the 60s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back