walmart oil change - tempting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walking out of my local Wally World today, a guy came screeching into the service department driving a late model Cadillac, it was smoking and streaming oil, he jumped out demanding to see the effing manager. BTW, Valvoline Maxlife synthetic was on sale for $22 something.

I used to use WM for oil changes until they overfilled my engine by a quart. I think it happened once before, too. I think you're OK if you take a common car there. I wouldn't take anything exotic there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Try to find a good independent shop. Perhaps you could buy the supplies and have them just change it for you. Heck, the local dealer may even do this.

$44 buys you quite a bit.

This is what I do, I just no longer want to mess with the used oil/filter etc.... My guy charges me $20 labor and this includes disposal of the oil/filter and tops off all fluids. I also stand right there and watch the whole process. My last oil change for my Buick cost me $29. I got the Chevron for $5 after rebate and used AA for the CQ blue with discount code. My next will be a bit more, $7 for Mobil and $6.50 for a Wix filter but still not bad. It actually comes out cheaper than if I use their bulk oil and cheap filter, they get $39 for standard oil change.

But if you don't mind doing it by all means keep on doing it, a day may come when you might not.

Sure. They are no more under trained than any other quick lube (including dealers).

Originally Posted By: Matagonka
Walmart techs changing your oil? Are you sure about that?

Being done with the best materials, being done correctly by myself and not by a flunky just passing time arey reasons for doing it myself. I can get it done, start on a cold one before I could drive to a WM to have it done.

Buy a Fumoto or an electric oil pump and drain the oil directly into your disposal container.

And a Fram Ultra filter is good for 20,000 miles.

Build a small oil stash when there are clearances and rebates, and your oil changes will be cheaper, better quality and faster.

You can still go to Walmart - to hand in your used oil.

I've watched oil changes at my local Walmart and they did credible job. I have also seen many botched oil changes performed at dealers. Dealer don't used their higher cost mechanics on oil changes but, you get anyone for the floor sweeper to an mechanics helper. All depends on the fell or gal doing the job IMO. I do know that Walmarts doesn't use the cheapest bulk oil but, lets you pick the oil & filter from the same stock I can buy. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I've watched oil changes at my local Walmart and they did credible job. I have also seen many botched oil changes performed at dealers. Dealer don't used their higher cost mechanics on oil changes but, you get anyone for the floor sweeper to an mechanics helper. All depends on the fell or gal doing the job IMO. I do know that Walmarts doesn't use the cheapest bulk oil but, lets you pick the oil & filter from the same stock I can buy. Ed

I started changing my own oil partly because the closest Subaru dealer really botched up an oil change for me.
They also damaged another car of ours during an inspection (not my call to go there that time).

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Buy the oil you want, buy the filter you want, and do it yourself, or at least have someone you trust do it.

If you have the WalMart shop do it, you'll be constantly asking yourself if they did something wrong, what oil they used, if the filter is any good, etc... Don't put yourself through that.

Not necessarily so.

Because of my age and a few disabilities....I began using Walmart to change my oil.

I purchase a 5 quart jug at WM...when there is a good rebate on. My last purchase was for Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 for $19.95, and applied for a SOPUS rebate of $10 which I received about 3 weeks later. I also bought a Fram Ultra filter on line (free shipping) from Amazon for $7.75.

I went to my Local Walmart (Redmond, OR)...and they did the change for $8.75....totaling $26.45.

I make sure to ask for my AZ jug to be returned (with a 1/2 quart left in it), as well a my old filter.

In addition, I am able to watch the entire oil change from beginning to end. It worked beautifully with no issues....and saves me a lot of effort.

Certainly tempting but most GM dealerships now are offering oil/filter, tire rotation and full inspection for under $50. Now that they are moving over to full synthetic Delco oil it is actually making the dealership look decent versus Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back