Ecopia with a front bulge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys and Gals

I just bought a set of Bridgestrone Ecopia tires. I have never owned a set of these before.

Something I have noticed. When all 4 tires are door pressure psi - 33-34psi. Only the front tires look like they are very low, they have a noticeable bulge. I have checked and they pressure is within spec.

I took them to the tire manager to show him , but he just said it was normal.
I will take a picture and post it later.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these tires.
on a 2006 accord v6.

What's the weight distribution on a V-6 Accord?

I'll wager that the front tires have twice the load on them that the rear tires do...same inflation pressure would then result iin much more bulge...

It's probably normal. After all, most of the weight sits over the front axle.

Even in my car, which has a close to 50:50 weight distribution, the front tires appear a little bit more "flattened."

Does the load rating of the tire meet the minimum spec called for in the door jamb?

Running the proper load rating is just as important as the proper size.

Last edited:
some tires are more prone to look "flattened" and some cars do it more. You might consider running a couple more psi in the front but I wouldnt lose sleep over it.

Those are a LRR tire so using simple terms... the easier they deform the less energy they lose when rolling.

Also as mentioned a v6 accord will be somewhat front heavy.

I have some new continentals on a 2010 accent and they do look somewhat flattened as well. I put 35psi in them vs 32 and forgot about it.

Don't forget that alignments also affect tire bulge. Although minimal, camber does affect how a sidewall may appear, but now we're splitting hairs.

If I had a v6 and wasn't hauling fat rear passengers, the rears should be at least 2psig below the fronts.

What size are the tires? 225 55 r17? Are they the correct load range like 97 or 101. Id do 33/ 30 to start and do some slalom-ing after they are scrubbed in in a week or so.. They may be "greasy" for a few days. They will get stickier with time - hopefully.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
If I had a v6 and wasn't hauling fat rear passengers, the rears should be at least 2psig below the fronts.

What size are the tires? 225 55 r17? Are they the correct load range like 97 or 101. Id do 33/ 30 to start and do some slalom-ing after they are scrubbed in in a week or so.. They may be "greasy" for a few days. They will get stickier with time - hopefully.

I do the same on my Focus, 35psi on the fronts and 32 on the rears. Lets me enjoy the corners without feeling the fronts start to roll over.

I like to keep all my tires close to 40psi, or otherwise mushy road feel and shoulders are chewed up in city driving. I find stock pressure too low for my taste. YMMV.
BTW, I have/had ecopias in 3 cars and they were great when they lasted. Sadly, treadlife is average.

Thanks guys

Does the load rating of the tire meet the minimum spec called for in the door jamb? - I guess
I costco did the install - its a huge law violation in Ottawa if they are not spec.

The car was aligned recently -

I will try running higher PSI in front - like 38psi
Thanks again.

WOW - I have been a BITOG member since 03 - holy smokes
smile.gif

Best forum on the interweb - bar none!

same thing on our Camry with Bridgestone Turanza's. every time I look at the front tires I sweat they are low - every time I check the air pressure they are spot on. it must me a normal profile.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I do the same on my Focus, 35psi on the fronts and 32 on the rears. Lets me enjoy the corners without feeling the fronts start to roll over.

What size tires are you running?

On my Focus I have factory 16;s and when running 32 all around, the tires wore on the edge from "spirited driving".

After bumping all of them up to 35 no more funny tire wear and fuel economy has increased...slightly.

Originally Posted By: nicholas
Thanks guys

Does the load rating of the tire meet the minimum spec called for in the door jamb? - I guess
I costco did the install - its a huge law violation in Ottawa if they are not spec.

Don't try and "fix" it if is not broken. You may be making it worse. Remember, the higher the pressure, the smaller the contact patch.

My own car calls for 36 front, 42 rear. I run 35 at all four corners for best performance.

ANd yes, I know about the load rating must meet spec, I am a licenced tech here in Ottawa.
smile.gif
The guys at Costco are not.

According to the info I found, that's a 50 psi max XL (extra load) "V" speed rated tire.

Had the same problem on my Dad's Cruze, bulging, floaty ride. Tried 35, then went up to 37.
These were 44 psi max...

On my car, which came from the factory with 35 psi max tires, the replacements were 51 psi max. I hypermile, so they got 40 front, 44 back.

I would put 40 in, and see how it feels...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nicholas
215 / 50 / 17 size

Those tires on your 2006 Accord V6 should be inflated to 32psi Front / 29psi Rear when cold.

As others have said, as long as they hold air ther's nothing to worry about.

HTH

As mentioned, underinflated. From experience if the vehicle is driven with the tires like that, you will have worn edges with an unworn(or less worn) center; this will greatly reduce the life of the tire.

I once purchased a Jeep Grand Cherokee with only 18000 miles and the tires were so worn on the edges that it would slide in a turn in the slightest wet conditions. This was at the factory recommended 32psi and I replaced them shortly thereafter. I actually measured the 225/75R16 tires, and the worn band on the edges was almost 2" per side.

Once I replaced the tires and inflated to 40psi (44psi max) the handling improved, wear was even and I got 1-2mpg better. Oh, and the same tires lasted more than 60000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

What size tires are you running?

On my Focus I have factory 16;s and when running 32 all around, the tires wore on the edge from "spirited driving".

After bumping all of them up to 35 no more funny tire wear and fuel economy has increased...slightly.

I've got slightly smaller 195/55R15 bfg sport comp 2s on, so they are a load rating lower than stock, but are speed rated much much higher than stock.
I assume the wagon with the mtx has more even weight distribution than most fwd cars, but with the front camber near zero and the rear camber at -1.5 deg, the rears show almost no sidewall bulge at 32 while the fronts look comparatively under inflated at 32 psi.
I bet the OP's Accord has similar camber numbers which also make the fronts look flatter.
As for tire wear, I'm doing autocross on these, so the edges, especially outers are taking a beating and I may flip them this summer. The thing works surprisingly well for cone killing and I had guys looking to see what tires I had last autocross, which is a good compliment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back