Berkeley Professor arrested for Assault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

Isn't ethics right vs wrong? How is attacking demonstrators right?

Agreed this guy has no place teaching ethics. You have to leave your bias aside in order to do that, and apparently he cannot.

Assault is always wrong, regardless of who it is.

It's all the more disappointing when somebody in a leadership position does it.

Looks like the protest was in Berkeley, but the [censored] used to work at Diablo Valley College (not UC Berkeley) and lived in Oakland. I came in with the impression that this was a UC Berkeley prof.
He is a vicious criminal, but at least he's in prison instead of headed to DC to be a Rep in Congress.

BTW, Berkeley is one of the absolute top universities for my field. Any large electronics company would be hamstringing itself by shunning its grads.
I worked with a guy who got his Master's there, he hated the political environment (he went there when the Naked Guy was taking classes) but felt his education was outstanding.

Last edited:
It is a wonder that a certain group of folks are not running around breaking things and burning their undergarments.......

1. He is not a Berkeley prof. He isn't even a teacher anymore, and was never a professor anywhere. He is a former Diablo Valley College temp instuctor who does not even have a doctorate (all real professors have doctorates like PhDs). He got a masters degree from a 4th rate program that lets in anyone with a pulse. So he is not in any substantial sense representative of either Berekely, professors, or ethicists.

2. Educators by and large are good people who work day and night to help our kids thrive.

It pains me when people disparage educators as a group. I've known many who are living saints.

Originally Posted By: WillsYoda
1. He is not a Berkeley prof. He isn't even a prof anymore. He is a former Diablo Valley College professor.
2. Educators by and large are good people who work day and night to help our kids thrive.

It pains me when people disparage educators as a group. I've known many who are living saints.
"Professor" Gruber comes to mind.

For a moment I thought this was about that new senator from Montana.

I guess when assaults happen:

Anti-Trump... you get arrested and your life is ruined.

Pro-Trump... you get elected to the Senate.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
1. He is not a Berkeley prof. He isn't even a prof anymore. He is a former Diablo Valley College professor.

"Professor" Gruber comes to mind.

Gruber did what many policy people have said in both the GOP and the democratic party: that voters are uninformed and to pass policies in Congress you need to slip things by. Gruber is famous for saying what everyone knows: that good policy needs to trick some voters. So he brags that the Cadillac tax on the richest Americans' healthcare (a tax that pays for working class people's healthcare) is a kind of trick that ultimately helps people get health insurance...

Quote:
In a new video that surfaced Friday, Gruber explains that the Obama administration passed the so-called “Cadillac tax” on high-value employer health plans “by mislabeling it, calling it a tax on insurance plans rather than a tax on people, when we know it’s a tax on people who hold these insurance plans.” Americans would not support a tax on individuals, so “We just tax the insurance companies, they pass on the higher prices . . . it ends up being the same thing.” The ruse, Gruber says, was “a very clever . . . basic exploitation of the lack of economic understanding of the American voter.”

In another video, Gruber boasts about how the Obama administration fooled Americans into paying to cover the uninsured by using sleight of hand, focusing on their concern over rising health costs. “Barack Obama’s not a stupid man, okay? He knew when he was running for president that quite frankly the American public doesn’t actually care that much about the uninsured. . . . What the American public cares about is costs. And that’s why even though the bill that they made is 90 percent health insurance coverage and 10 percent about cost control, all you ever hear people talk about is cost control.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/...3340_story.html

I would argue that this "90% more coverage and 10% cost controls" was still a significant improvement over the old health care system, which let many families down.

1. He is not a Berkeley prof. He isn't even a teacher anymore, and was never a professor anywhere. He is a former Diablo Valley College temp instuctor who does not even have a doctorate (all real professors have doctorates like PhDs). He got a masters degree from a 4th rate program that lets in anyone with a pulse. So he is not in any substantial sense representative of either Berekely, professors, or ethicists.

Then you know it has to go both ways.

Think of Melissa Click, formerly of University of Missouri and recently picked up by Gonzaga.

She was a full professor of communications, had a courtesy appointment in the school of journalism as well, but was recorded calling for "some muscle" to remove a student journalist covering the protest.

She was fired by the university.

It's one thing to have a view. It's another to call for the assault of a student to prevent them from engaging in their first amendment rights of freedom of the press.

The impression, right or wrong, is that there are more Melissa Clicks than there are saints in academia.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
For a moment I thought this was about that new senator from Montana.

I guess when assaults happen:

Anti-Trump... you get arrested and your life is ruined.

Pro-Trump... you get elected to the Senate.

So you condone hitting somebody over the head with a bike lock because they have a different point of view?
The newly elected Congressman (not Senator) did not use a weapon and was responding to an aggressive pushing of a microphone in his face by a member of the BIASED media.

PS: I don't understand why wealthy alumni still contribute to schools that brainwash our kids and won't allow speakers with opposing viewpoints to speak on campus.

This behavior is more common than you would think:
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Man...-285757311.html

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-02-03...ing-11-arrested

A video of the Montana "incident" has been released and the witness has changed her story. The witness is a reporter herself. The Guardian reporter was rude and intrusive.

Back to Berkeley, good to see some justice here.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
A video of the Montana "incident" has been released and the witness has changed her story. The witness is a reporter herself. The Guardian reporter was rude and intrusive.

A 'rude and intrusive' reporter....wow....I don't remember many of them until last November....for the previous 8 years it was a love festival...

Originally Posted By: PimTac

This isn't quite true. There is no video of the event, just audio. The most accurate telling of the even is (ironically) the Fox News team that was a witness to the whole thing. The Fox News people said that the Guardian reporter asked a question about the GOP health care bill, and the (now elected) congressman attacked the reporter and body slammed him. According to the Fox News reporter there, "To be clear, at no point did any of us who witnessed this assault see [the Guardian reporter] Jacobs show any form of physical aggression toward Gianforte, who left the area after giving statements to local sheriff's deputies."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05/...m-reporter.html

While the sentiment of this thread is preaching to the choir ( at least in my case ), I think wealthy alumni will contribute to their alma maters or programs that they believe in whether that involves their name on a building or an ongoing scholarship program or not. They won't hold back funds based on how thoroughly politicized they think a university system, administration, student body or climate is if it furthers a philanthropic goal. Many wealthy donors are involved with the universities at a granular level that doesn't involve idjits with bike locks or anarchist scum that are there to agitate. It might be hard to understand this but sometimes everything doesn't fit into an ideological box governed by an "us and them" sentiment. Shocking...I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back