FRAM extraguard really is garbage - check this out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Motorking
Well,
We have made multiple attempts to contact this poster, get the filter back and report what exactly happened. The poster does not return calls and has made no arrangements to return the filter. Last chance, I will send you a case of XG filters if you will just send in this filter for evaluation. If you will not, I have to assume (especially from the title) that this post is a hoax intended to damage FRAM. Trying to do the right thing here and the poster is not cooperating.
Sorry to rant but I want to know what happened here.

Yeah, I wondered about the thread title myself and if he would even get in touch with you and send in the filter to FRAM.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
To Jerry above (I didn't quote your huge post)-the Extended Guard filters have actually been replaced by the Ultras for a few years now, the Ultras now have 99% @ 20 micron ratings as well as the Tough Guards, and I have personally run one 20K miles (the xB in my sig with an oversize XG3600). It looked like it could have gone a lot further than 20K if I wanted.
You're correct, the Ultra did replace the Extended. I personally run only the Tough Guard though since it and its 99% filtration efficiency more than meets my 5K mile conventional oil & filter change interval requirements.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Things do happen in life, but as Jay stated, they've tried a few means to contact them. Then again, I'd like to think someone wouldn't be bored or miserable enough in life to waste time on a hoax like this.

As seen with the IGordon66 Purolator post, some trolls will go through a surprising amount of effort to push their agenda.

I'm suspecting one of two possibilities here: Either the OP found this picture somewhere and doesn't have possession of the filter, or this was somehow staged. I wonder if some kind of solvent could have been used to dissolve some of the glue and allow a section of the media to be separated.

In the video below you can see how the filter media is assembled.

- Is it possible that the filter had no missing media? Instead the media never formed a full circle at the point where the steel clip joins the pleats to complete the circle. Take a look at the video after 2:30 and you can see that the pleats nearest the joining point are held in place as they travel through the production line. The width of the area being held seems to be about the same as the width of the "missing" media in the OP's pictures. You can also see that the pleats in the OP's pictures are pretty close together.

Either the media traveled down to that machine incorrectly and could not be joined by the steel clip, or a steel clip was missing or not placed on the media when it came to that operation and the media then contracted to less than a full circle before it was glued. Once pleated, the natural width of the material is slightly less than a full circle and more like the width in the OP's pictures.

- Also note in the video how much glue is put on the fiber endcap and then how it is cured through heat. What does cured glue look like when there is nothing to attach to and what happens to it when there are not 2 materials being joined together? Does it become a smooth surface or does it come unglued during engine operation because it is engineered to fuse to two materials?

Overall, I don't think this is a hoax. But it would be helpful if we had more information on how many pleats there are and what the end caps / glue look like in the "missing" media area.

Until this thread, I would not have guessed the OP to be a troll or a hoaxer going by his other posts. Interesting though he seems to fall off the radar when offers to recover the item and compensation given for his effort.

Originally Posted By: tj90
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I have images from many different brands - bosch, valvoline, mann, fram, porsche, motorcraft, supertech.

I looked through all your posts and didn't see any pictures of those filters.
confused2.gif

You're right - I should post them. I am building a personal database of filter and amount of filter surface area in filters. For instance, here is bosch D3312 for the same application...720 cm^2 of filtering goodness. Note the metal top and bottom caps versus paper on Fram. Also the can felt 2x as thick metal. Your idea is a good one because the BITOG community could build a databse much faster than I ever could...

Long-time filtration media guy here...

What good is the media area if you don't know what the media is?? For example 100cm2 of Royal Purple synthetic glass media is not even remotely the same as 100cm2 of FRAM Extraguard media. There are endless combinations of fibers, furnish, and resins to make a cellulose media perform differently. Unless you can compare them on a calibrated test stand of some sort under equal test conditions, it's all superficial aesthetic-based likely-biased bull-[censored]. Move on.

Last edited:
Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I need to defend my reputation here. I was visiting BITOG today and saw messages in my inbox from Motorking. He sent me two messages as he indicated to reach out to Fram about my problem. It was the same information that he posted on this thread. Last year, I did exactly what he said to do and the customer service at fram sent me 3 ultra guard filters as a good will gesture. That was a nice move.
What I failed to do was return to this thread to find Motorking accuse me of being a hoaxster. Jay, you werent even aware that I started the complaint process with CS? What a way of snatching defeat in the jaws of victory!

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I need to defend my reputation here. I was visiting BITOG today and saw messages in my inbox from Motorking. He sent me two messages as he indicated to reach out to Fram about my problem. It was the same information that he posted on this thread. Last year, I did exactly what he said to do and the customer service at fram sent me 3 ultra guard filters as a good will gesture. That was a nice move.
What I failed to do was return to this thread to find Motorking accuse me of being a hoaxster. Jay, you werent even aware that I started the complaint process with CS? What a way of snatching defeat in the jaws of victory!

I can understand the Fram rep defending his product a little more than posters who have no skin in the game except they spent a couple bucks buying Fram filters.

Nothing like being called a hoaxster when you are not. And they don't change their opinion either. Pretty rotten. I agree with the they are garbage statement after having cut open the one and only Fram TG I have ever used. You were right.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Well,
We have made multiple attempts to contact this poster, get the filter back and report what exactly happened. The poster does not return calls and has made no arrangements to return the filter. Last chance, I will send you a case of XG filters if you will just send in this filter for evaluation. If you will not, I have to assume (especially from the title) that this post is a hoax intended to damage FRAM. Trying to do the right thing here and the poster is not cooperating.
Sorry to rant but I want to know what happened here.

Says he tried calling you?

What the heck man? You couldn’t return the poor guys calls?

~11 months to update too..

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I agree with the they are garbage statement after having cut open the one and only Fram TG I have ever used. You were right.

Yeah, one instance of a flaw and they are all garbage. When you see dozens of the same problem posted, then it's garbage. Goes for any brand of filter, or any product in the world for that matter.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I agree with the they are garbage statement after having cut open the one and only Fram TG I have ever used. You were right.

Yeah, one instance of a flaw and they are all garbage. When you see dozens of the same problem posted, then it's garbage. Goes for any brand of filter, or any product in the world for that matter.

IMO the design and construction of the fiber end cap and center tube is garbage, chintzy, not that because I see one filter with a defect they are all garbage. Nice try to defend.

Nice try to defend.

They work fine. Critical thinking and engineering logic is hard to find these days. Every filter brand made has a production flaw now and then, and some have problems that continue on for years.

Mistakes happen, nobody is perfect. To me, it's all in how a company reacts to issues that makes a difference. Fram responds, Purolator/Mann & Hummel could care less-and now that they bought Wix, their broken customer service culture is spreading there too.

Since subject broached, seems imo the last couple "Fram responses" to questionable c&p filter results on this board read more like bogus excuses. The most notable recent example posted here. "Glazing appearance of the oil"?

Judging from the board replies to it, seemed the general consensus of opinion represented by the meter.

140.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back