What visits your yard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what kind of wildlife do you guys have around your yard? Today I was out on the deck, sipping a Crown OTR, when a Roadrunner jumps on the deck railing with his lunch in his beak, a King snake. He stood there, about 10 feet away, for several minutes as he shook the snake making sure it was dead. Gotta love mother nature.

14wy70i.jpg

Wow! Quite a photo and those are beautiful birds.

This week I spotted a Brown Thrasher and its adolescent in my yard. Of course the parent (couldn't determine gender) was still feeding the young one.

I get deer, groundhogs, squirrels, the occasional owl and hawk, foxes and bunny rabbits. Had a duck lay her eggs and raise the hatchlings in my front yard.

Today we saw the strangest looking bird hammering away at the base of a tree stump. Turns out it was a pileated woodpecker.

uite a large bird. Almost looked like a rooster with a red head with white stripes on the neck. Never seen one before and we've been here 25 years. We had wondered what was digging some huge chunks out of that upper parts of that stump.

Deer, groundhogs, squirrels, the occasional owl and hawk, foxes and bunny rabbits. We get those too along with chipmunks, turkey vultures, coyotes, an occasional bear at the edge of the neighborhood woods. The other day a turkey vulture sat in our yard and devoured a squirrel in under an hour.

In the old days snapping turtles, frogs, toads, and rabbits would be quite common. These days, we hardly ever see them. Squirrels and Chipmunks everywhere.

my dog. other street dogs and cats. Cockroaches. lots of Opossum and Skunks. Dogs been skunked three times. He isn't too bright...

Originally Posted By: dishdude
OP - What did you use to take that picture?

My old Sony Cybershot. I took about 10 pictures because it kept focusing off in the distance. That's about the clearest one I took.

Last summer we had two Antelope jump the fence and run across the yard but I missed them. My wife was working in the yard and they ran by her, about 50 feet away. I only got to see the tracks.

I have a roof rack basket hung up under the deck roof. A mourning dove built a rickety nest on it and beyond odds 2 eggs hatched and grew up and flew away. Here they are about 2 weeks from leaving side by side totally covering the nest. When they finally looked like doves they would stand all day on the bars.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Needless to say, If he catches you, you're through.

"Poor little Road Runner never bothers anyone" except for King snakes.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I get deer, groundhogs, squirrels, the occasional owl and hawk, foxes and bunny rabbits. Had a duck lay her eggs and raise the hatchlings in my front yard.

I get all of those and raccoons, skunks and black bear also.

I have a groundhog family living under my shed (and causing it to 'settle' more than I like)....I've contemplated shooting them but my (animal loving) neighbor wouldn't like it.
I have caught a few in a Havaheart trap but I don't like the drama of releasing them...plus somebody told me that the other groundhogs (where I release them...over 5 miles away)..... will kill them anyway....does anybody know if this is true?

PS: great photo

Probably the most unusual we get around here are Sandhill Cranes. These are huge birds that stand about 4 feet tall and can have a wingspan of 6-8 feet. Had one fly right over my head once, that's enough to scare the [censored] out of you. They ought to come with a "caution wake turbulence" warning.
laugh.gif

You usually know when they're around because they have ridiculously loud calls. You can clearly hear them inside the house with all the doors and windows closed.

Sandhill-Cranes-2-March-by-Dingel.jpg

We have a family of cardinals that live in our yard.

Too many robins, a few rabbits, an occasional opossum or woodchuck (try to capture each and release in the woods a few miles away).

There's a beautiful red tail hawk that flies around the neighborhood. Every so often it takes out a squirrel, but we dont have many squirrels as a result anymore.

Once in a blue moon, at night, Ill see a little owl on the fence in our yard.

Great picture, OP!

Coopers hawk, Blue Jays, Finches, Grey doves, Squirrels, Opossum, occasionally a Grey fox, Corn snakes, Ringneck snakes, Cuban Anole and Iguanas.

Blue Jay eating from my bird/ squirrel feeder.

Coyotes, foxes, turkey, snakes, rabbits, skunks, Owls, hawks, raccoons, birds of all shapes and sizes ....

and even Sasquatch!!! LOL

Originally Posted By: funflyer
So what kind of wildlife do you guys have around your yard? Today I was out on the deck, sipping a Crown OTR, when a Roadrunner jumps on the deck railing with his lunch in his beak, a King snake. He stood there, about 10 feet away, for several minutes as he shook the snake making sure it was dead. Gotta love mother nature.

14wy70i.jpg

I saw a couple RRs on my brother-in-law's ranch in Mexico, fast brid!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back