Delco synchromesh friction modified MT fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have run Honda MT Fluid I and Honda MT Fluid II. Honda MT Fluid II was a big improvement especially in below freezing temperatures,shifts were much smoother. There was a big difference in viscosity of the two. Honda MT I being around 11.2 viscosity and II at around 7.7 viscosity based on VAO. However I was surprised that Honda MT I sheared quite quickly from 11.2 to 6.6 in 20K miles based on UOA. Don't have any idea of what Honda MT II shears to in a 20K mile use, but frankly I am somewhat concerned if there is a similar viscosity shear.

Delco Synchromesh Friction Modified MT Fluid has been reported in forums to work quite well in a Honda MT. There is a lack of UOA on new fluid or used Delco Synchromesh Friction Modified MT Fluid.

Any one know what the viscosity of virgin Delco Synchromesh Friction Modified MT Fluid?

Or, have a UOA of Delco Synchromesh Friction Modified MT Fluid?

So, it appears Delco Synchromesh Friction Modified starts out at the extreme lower limit for a 80W gear oil. If it shears at all it is in the 75W gear oil range.

Originally Posted By: deoxy4
So, it appears Delco Synchromesh Friction Modified starts out at the extreme lower limit for a 80W gear oil. If it shears at all it is in the 75W gear oil range.

It doesn't work that way.
I'd say this Delco synchromesh is more like a Dexron III ... in disguise.
With prolonged use in a trans calling for Synchromesh, any issues encountered by long time users ? Just curiuos.

You don't think gear oil shears with use? Every UOA MTF in a Honda-Pennzoil Synchromesh, Honda MT I, Honda MT II, Red Line 75W80, etc. has shown a lower viscosity with use from shear. (I saw a UOA for Honda MTF I that sheared from 11.2 to 6.6 in 20K miles.)

The viscosity range for a 75W-80W gear oil is approximately 4.25-11.1 CST @100C. My Honda is spec'd for 75W-80W gear oil. I would want to change the gear oil before it is out of a 75W80 range.

Seems like everyone has their own favorite MT fluid whether it be Red Line 5W30, Amsoil 75W80, Pennzoil Synchromesh, Valvoline Synchromesh, Honda MT II. The only gear oil people seem to have had a problem with was Honda MT I, below freezing temperatures.

Not a lot of gear UOA are done. Haven't seen a gear oil UOA blamed for a failure no matter what oil was used even 5W-30 motor oil. Have heard some gear oils aren't recommended for manual transmission with yellow metal. Don't think any of the fore mentioned gear oils fall in that class of gear oils.

From WIKI: Dexron III
Is this what you are referring to in regards to Delco Synchromesh being similar to Dexron III?

"In reality most of the DEXRON-III fluids typically sheared to about 4.2 cSt in use."

I was able to find a MSDS for the Delco Synchromesh Friction Modified MT Fluid:

65% mineral oil
25% hydro-treated neutral oil based
Flash Point: 175C (347F)
Viscosity: 7.25 CST@ 100C

Here is the reference: http://paceperformance.com/attachment/37594-88900925 msds.pdf

In comparison viscosities @ 100C:

Pennzoil Synchromesh 9.1
Amsoil MTF (5W-30) 9.6
Honda MT II 7.5

You reference was to Mobil 3309 ATF fluid.

The last time I checked, the Delco or GM MTF's had a 100C viscosity of 10.1 cSt.

You don't think gear oil shears with use? Every UOA MTF in a Honda-Pennzoil Synchromesh, Honda MT I, Honda MT II, Red Line 75W80, etc. has shown a lower viscosity with use from shear. (I saw a UOA for Honda MTF I that sheared from 11.2 to 6.6 in 20K miles.)

Concur with you, almost all gear oils shear with use in UOA's.
Hence, the 'necessity' of selecting shear stable and high KV@40*C/100*C gear train oils........
and potentially a viscosity grade upgrade or two .

Edit:spelling

Last edited:
Been using 1-1/2 quarts ACDS for two year runs in transfer case. What I just drained looked new and the magnet had enough ultra fine Fe to cover a pin head. Put in Redline MTL this time - might run it longer.

Redline MT-90 works well for me + theres MT-85 a bit thinner, both first class fluids for sure!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back