TPMS replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
The sensor doesn't transmit unless the tire is moving. Does the "bomb" duplicate that.

My experience is the TPMS sensors do not have to be moving to transmit.

I have 5 wheel/tire sets sitting in the corner of my garage - they have TPMS sensors mounted and registered to my 2013 Toyota Land Cruiser.

I also have 5 wheel/tire sets mounted on my Land Cruiser - they do not have TPMS sensors.

If I start my truck up in the garage, after about two minutes the onboard TPMS display will show the pressures of the set of tires sitting in the corner - no TPMS warning light.

When I drive out of my garage, after about 20 minutes the TPMS warning light will start to blink, then go solid.

Based on this, it is clear that as long as my truck is within range of the tires that have the TPMS sensors, they will be picked up and valid pressures will be sent to the truck - even if they are not moving. And, obviously, if I am out of range of the tires with sensors, the TPMS warning will be set off in the truck.

So, if I wanted to use a "TPMS 'bomb'" I see no reason why it would not work even though the sensors are not moving.

HTH

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Just replace them.

Nice of you to spend $200 for me.
wink.gif

Hey, cars cost money.

Just replace them.

wink.gif

Hey, cars cost money.

No offense meant.

Just replace them.

wink.gif

Hey, cars cost money.

No offense meant.

None taken!
11.gif

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Seven years old, one has a stuck valve core? Do the correct thing and replace all four.
One good thing about the vehicles in my signature is that
they use indirect TPMS. Indirect TPMS uses the ABS wheel sensors to detect the wheel speed rotation from one another. You set a button in the glove box.
When a tire loses enough air, the rotation speed changes and triggers the TPMS dash light. Allows for inexpensive rubber valve stems. I wish all vehicles used this system.

Interesting that newer cars still use indirect TPMS. You don't get the PSI readout on the dash like direct TPMS but I have a tire pressure gauge and do monthly PSI checks. All I want from TPMS is to notify me if I have a tire blowout or rapid pressure loss.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Seven years old, one has a stuck valve core? Do the correct thing and replace all four.
One good thing about the vehicles in my signature is that
they use indirect TPMS. Indirect TPMS uses the ABS wheel sensors to detect the wheel speed rotation from one another. You set a button in the glove box.
When a tire loses enough air, the rotation speed changes and triggers the TPMS dash light. Allows for inexpensive rubber valve stems. I wish all vehicles used this system.

Interesting that newer cars still use indirect TPMS. You don't get the PSI readout on the dash like direct TPMS but I have a tire pressure gauge and do monthly PSI checks. All I want from TPMS is to notify me if I have a tire blowout or rapid pressure loss.

Uh, usually blowouts are pretty easy to feel... I've only had one, but it was pretty obvious.
wink.gif

Now, a dual axle trailer might have a blowout and not be felt, that I could see happening.

A rapid loss probably would be felt too. It's the slow leak that is a problem.

Anyhow... is 2010 and 2011 considered "newer" now? I wish the system would read out psi, it'd save me from having to do "work" in checking. I remain unconvinced that indirect works as well in its purpose as direct. Sure it costs more--but if a handful of psi matters, and if tires tend to leak at the same rate, then I have a hard time believing indirect will properly work. I'm also not sure how long it takes for indirect to measure and calculate differences.

Instead of the "pipe bomb", there's a way to fool the warning light with a couple resisters. Look around on either of the Tundra sites. That said, I've learned to ignore the light.

If selling the vehicle, don't most states require the system to be working properly during an inspection?

But seriously. It is one bad sensor. Just replace that one sensor and keep driving. All this discussion to save $50?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
If selling the vehicle, don't most states require the system to be working properly during an inspection?

No. But I could see money being taken off at trade-in.

Quote:
But seriously. It is one bad sensor. Just replace that one sensor and keep driving. All this discussion to save $50?

Replace just the one or all four? They are 7 years old now. And are Dorman ok or do I have to go OEM? [Already solved, but that too was in the question.]

I just got new tires for the 07 Frontier. The last time I got tires, 3 1/2 years ago, I got the TPMS warning light two weeks after having the new tires installed. Since it was 7 years old, I was pretty sure at least one of the sensor batteries had failed. Considering how expensive the durn things are, and that all the tires would have to be dismounted and remounted to replace the sensors, I (my wife is the primary driver) decided to live with the light until the next tire change. The after market sensors were $69.95 each installed and programmed to the vehicle. Also nice is that the new sensors have traditional rubber stems. Nice after 3 1/2 years to have the light gone. These should last at least as long as we have the vehicle, and won't have to worry about getting the trade-in value docked because of the light.

BTW, new tires are General Grabber HTS 60.

The Cheep Chit factory in Hung Chow province runs off a batch of sensors for Toyota. The next week they change the color of the plastic and run a batch for Dorman or whoever with a different name sticker. The real problem is that carmakers may use several different sensors on their line of cars. GM, for one, uses about a half-dozen different ones, at last count.

I gave in and bought a single Dorman. Took a photo of it for the number I'll need to enter in (forget which one is needed but smartphone for the win). While replacing the o-ring on the other three I did wonder about I should be gooping on there to prevent corrosion; but eh. I'll at least try out the Dorman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back