I ran Castrol 5W-50 for 5000 miles in my bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed that some have questioned if these 5W-50 oils would hold up in a bike...would they shear to a 40Wt or worse?

Well, my R1200R has no gears or clutch in the oil, so I had no real fear of this type oil. It seemed fine for the 5008 miles and it did give a nice immediate steady idle on cold day starts this winter. 15W-40 oils in the past might give me a stall on the first cold start.

Oil sample is off to Blackstone so at least we will see how it did in a non shared crankcase bike. Results posted next week.

The Mobil1 5w50 I put in my Polaris 570 sheared from around 17cst to 13.something in 50 hours of use. I look forward to your UOA.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3736205/2014_Polaris_Ranger_570,_Mobil#Post3736205

I used Castrol once in my Honda and it started making a lot of bad noise after a few days! When i drained it,It came out thin like water.Never again!

Originally Posted By: ron17571
I used Castrol once in my Honda and it started making a lot of bad noise after a few days! When i drained it,It came out thin like water.Never again!

Oh, and I thought thin oil was supposed to be good !

I can't seem to findd a 5W50 motorcycle oil on the Castrol page?

I would have said try the Power 1 Racing 10W50 if suitable for your bike, in Europe the MSDS says its a PAO oil, but in the US it seems like it's not, it says "chemically modified base oil ......"

I ran Castrol ActEvo part synthetic 10W40 in my 2016 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (shop's choice at the breakin service) - couldn't complain - just from the feel it ran like any other oil. But I didn't keep it in long enough to do an UOA - since I preferred to do one more change during break-in to flush the initial wear metal out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alex_at

I dont think he is referring to Castrol Motorcycle oil. Yes, it would be nice to know the exact oil, guess we will find out with the UOA.
Click

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Originally Posted By: alex_at

I dont think he is referring to Castrol Motorcycle oil. Yes, it would be nice to know the exact oil, guess we will find out with the UOA.
Click

Sorry, no not a "motorcycle oil". Can't say I have used one of them in 55 years of motorcycling and 300,000 plus miles

Castrol Edge Synthetic 5W-50 oil. Pretty sure it is the only oil they make in that grade.
This exact oil here: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/cast...06250/8020612-P

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back