The world is full of injustices...

Status
Not open for further replies.
But he started it!
uhhh____he_did_it_by_megbeth.jpg

Found it today 3 miles from where I saw it yesterday. My mistake, it's a Toyota. Bent hitch, collapsed springs, junk tires, no tie-downs visible... no worries it's a guy just trying to make a living...

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
It's very possible that the driver is an illegal, the truck is not registered or even licensed and it's certainly not insured. If that truck causes you problems you'll have to pay out of your pocket for something that's not your fault. I've also wondered it these vehicles don't get ticketed because the police officer knows the driver will never appear even if the vehicle is impounded.

Ignorance!

Some drivers actually use their trucks to do work. Others have a garage queen that only goes out on sunny days with absolutely nothing touching the bed of their truck as it is just for show.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Some drivers actually use their trucks to do work. Others have a garage queen that only goes out on sunny days with absolutely nothing touching the bed of their truck as it is just for show.

Yep, don't forget the garage queen hogging 2 parking spaces at Home Depot.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay

With no in-between, I suppose. ;-)

Here's the truck the picture that started it all was taken from.

66C12124-74A7-435F-B802-CEE2F52828D1_zpsqxwvsyhb.jpg

It's nice for an '85, right? It sits out 50% of the time, and prior to 2014 it sat out all the time. Gets its yearly oil change (last one was 6,400 miles), and the transmission leaks like a sieve. What you can't see is 3,000 lbs. of gravel in the bed. But I don't strap stuff down over the wheel openings and grossly overload it, or generally beat the [censored] out of it - I've owned it since 2007, put 50,000 miles on it, and that's the orignal paint.

Growing up, when my dad was beating on a piece of equipment particularly hard and I'd point it out, he'd say, "What good is it if I can't use it?!" and go on... wearing out or breaking something he didn't have the money to fix. But that's the same ideology that played into him not having a piece of equipment adequate for the job in the first place.

apples and oranges. the fence hauler looked to be an F 150 not a 1 1/2 GMC with garage queen miles. I used to have a '68 C 20 that when loaded to 3K lbs rode like a Cadillac.
laugh.gif

Point being, the 3,000 lbs. is within the truck's GVW and keeps it very well within the limitations of the suspension, tires, and brakes. I could've swaged the bed out, bent the springs over, and put 5,000 lbs. in it instead, but didn't because I want to continue using the truck without a fortune on repairs or alternatively buying a new one. If it was a half ton, that'd have been 1,000 lbs. of gravel. Ruining the truck for a few dollars, or a few hundred, hardly compensates for a few thousand on a new truck.

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
It's very possible that the driver is an illegal, the truck is not registered or even licensed and it's certainly not insured. If that truck causes you problems you'll have to pay out of your pocket for something that's not your fault. I've also wondered it these vehicles don't get ticketed because the police officer knows the driver will never appear even if the vehicle is impounded.

Ignorance!
He is absolutely right and it's an epidemic in California. Maybe his comment hit close to home for you.

FWIW - even though the driver didn't appear hispanic - even back here in Kentucky there are more of them than there would be otherwise, I believe primarily because of tobacco farming. And allll kinds of non-immigrants on entitlement programs that could be filling those jobs if they had the work ethic of the fence hauler.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Pretty normal sight in my neck of the woods.

Same here. I'm not really seeing what the issue is here, as long as it's not stolen.

Oh, I see it now - no little red shop towel stuck on as a warning flag.

I didn't load the truck so IDK if the old wood is full of nails that helps velcro it all together.

My concern would be for an innocent pedestrian/ bicyclist getting beaned if one piece got loose.

Aside from that, live and let live.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
As long as the load is tied down well, the brakes work, and the guy is doing 40mph or less, I don't think he's putting anyone at undue risk.
If he's trying to hit 75mph before the next hill, that's another thing.

Define "undue"...

Well, no one commented in this way, so I will. I am involved in commercial trucking. My first impression of this is, "where is the red flags that are required on loads that extend beyond the end of the vehicle?". While the pickup does look a little overloaded but may not be, and the owner may be trying to make an honest living, it is still in violation of DOT regulations. I can get a violation if I have just one marker light out on my trucks. Yet, situations like this where there is a clear violation goes unpunished. Would make for a nice lawsuit if someone hits that load sticking off the back end, and certainly a citation from an LEO in a rear end collision situation. Then the honest, hard working owner of the pickup will lose anything he thought he might make doing this. Virtually every hardware store, lumber yard, etc will provide red warning flags to put on the back of a load. Usually for free. No excuse to not have them.

I doubt that truck is registered for enough weight to be subject to FMCSA regulations. For all we know, he may be hauling his own stuff in his own vehicle anyway. I don't know about where he is, but only an overhang in excess of five feet requires a flag or lamp in my state, so he might be OK on that too. Unless he is over his registered weight or the weight rating on his tires he could be completely legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back