Changing ATF for first time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks, as said I am changing out the transmission fluid for the first time in my ford escape '11 2.5 4 cylinder, 86K.

My question: Is the world going to end if I use Valvoline's brand of Mercon LV ATF? Or is it safer to stick with the Motorcraft brand Mercon LV ATF? The Valvoline seems cheaper where at Motorcraft is harder to get and is more $. Thanks

- O

I'd use the Valvoline product w/o hesitation. It meets the spec, so it will be fine.

I put it in a drain/fill on an '09 Focus with 200K on it last fall, and the owner raved about how much better the car felt when she got it back and haven't heard that she had any trouble since. I'd use it with confidence.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oilied
Hi folks, as said I am changing out the transmission fluid for the first time in my ford escape '11 2.5 4 cylinder, 86K.

My question: Is the world going to end if I use Valvoline's brand of Mercon LV ATF? Or is it safer to stick with the Motorcraft brand Mercon LV ATF? The Valvoline seems cheaper where at Motorcraft is harder to get and is more $. Thanks

- O

I have the same transmission in my Fusion, and Maxlife ATF works just fine. I've done several drain/fills with it over the years. The 6F35 sucks no matter what
crazy.gif

Valvoline's ATF is good stuff. If your warranty has expired, use Maxlife ATF.

If you're still under warranty, use Valvoline Mercon LV or any other synthetic LV ATF (there is a wide range of Ford-approved officially-licensed Mercon LV). Any licensed Mercon LV is acceptable. You do not need Motorcraft brand
smile.gif

MaxLife or any approved MLV fluid will work. Since Ford and GM worked together on most of the newer 6-speed FWD trannies and the 10R units, there are dual-approved DexVI/MLV fluids as well.

Most transmissions are good with just about any name brand universal fluid. I know that doesn't really add much to this conversation but from past experience the only real vehicle I've ever had act up on a universal fluid was our old '06 Altima.

We only had it in the car for a few days but on a cold start the car was slamming gears on each shift until it warmed up.

I can't speak from experience but I've heard Hondas have a tendency to do this as well with some universe fluids.

That vehicle has a 6F35 transmission mated up to the engine, which is the same engine in my 2010 Fusion. I have used Valvoline MaxLife LV ATF in my 6F35 transmission for every ATF fluid change that I have done. Note the mileage in my signature... This car still has the original 6F35 trans, so draw your own conclusions regarding whether or not Valvoline's MaxLife LV ATF is a good choice for the trans in your Escape...

My money is on "yes"

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
That vehicle has a 6F35 transmission mated up to the engine, which is the same engine in my 2010 Fusion. I have used Valvoline MaxLife LV ATF in my 6F35 transmission for every ATF fluid change that I have done. Note the mileage in my signature... This car still has the original 6F35 trans, so draw your own conclusions regarding whether or not Valvoline's MaxLife LV ATF is a good choice for the trans in your Escape...

My money is on "yes"

How many miles have you put on your Fusion?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Valvoline will be fine. How are you changing the ATF? Total ATF exchange?

I'm doing a drain and fill, so from what I gather about 4-5 qrts will come out, so I will put that amount back in. On the escape it's a fairly straight forward and easy access.

Thanks to everyone else for the replies, I feel much better about using the Valvoline product. Hopefully it won't be slamming gears but I'm confident from what everyone else has been saying it will be fine.

Is it better to change on a cold or hot engine?

What about the filter if it has one?

A single drain and fill will exchange about 1/3 of the total fluid. The percentage varies by transmission.

Install a Magnefine inline filter.

The OP stated that he was going to use "Valvoline's brand of Mercon LV" and not Maxlife. I'm not sure I've ever seen Valvoline Mercon LV but either way you should be fine (Mercon LV or Maxlife).
Valvoline (and Castrol) make some excellent ATFs and I would trust their recommendations.

I plan on using the Castrol Full Synthetic (LV) ATF that I scored for $3 a quart (at AZ) in my 2016 Escape with the 6F35....it's approved by Ford for the Mercon LV applications.

I have always wondered if Dexron VI would work in the 6F35 since it was a joint venture GM/Ford tranny and Dex VI is used in it's GM counterpart...Thoughts???

Originally Posted By: Oilied
Donald said:
I'm doing a drain and fill, so from what I gather about 4-5 qrts will come out, so I will put that amount back in. On the escape it's a fairly straight forward and easy access.

Is it better to change on a cold or hot engine?

Warm, at least, but definitely not cold. It's no fun working on things when they're hot !

If you can or want to, after you replace the same amount that came out, drive it for a little bit (15-30 minutes), bring it back in your garage or wherever you do your work, leave it running, and check the level via the 'check plug'. Do this just in case someone changed it before (in case you're not the original owner) and didn't put quite enough back in. It's also possible that it was under-filled at the factory.

Originally Posted By: Donald
What about the filter if it has one?

Like so many modern transmissions, these have no (serviceable) filter.

Originally Posted By: pbm

I have always wondered if Dexron VI would work in the 6F35 since it was a joint venture GM/Ford tranny and Dex VI is used in it's GM counterpart...Thoughts???

In theory, yes - Afton does make the add pack for Dex VI and there's fluids licensed for both DexVI/MLV and others that just carry one approval.

The links on Afton's marketing doesn't work - GM has a list of license holders, I've tried finding Ford's license lookup. It does look like some of the "universal" LV ATFs save for MaxLife like Pennzoil, Kendall, and Castrol are dual-licensed.

Last edited:
I just bought some Pennzoil Platinum LV for $6 / qt. @ Pepboys with online discount code for my wife's Mustang with 6R80.

https://m.pepboys.com/product/details/1162211/00314

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/o...2NhbGU9ZW5fdXM=

This is the same price as Super Tech LV at Walmart which doesn't display a GM or Ford license, and less expensive than any of the other licensed Mercon LV products I could find.

I don't think Valvoline has ever offered a licensed Mercon LV product, but advertises Maxlife ATF as suitable for Mercon LV applications.

Hello Oiled, When you drain this fluid please report on the color as best you can.
Also, a brief description of the smell.
I have been going through a 12 gallon stash of Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc LV and the peppermintiness of old Dex/Merc fluid is missed.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: SirTanon

My money is on "yes"

How many miles have you put on your Fusion?

Well, the car/trans itself is about to hit 232,000 miles this weekend (231,861 as of this morning). It sees about 550 miles/week, roughly 500 of which are highway.

Originally Posted By: pbm
The OP stated that he was going to use "Valvoline's brand of Mercon LV" and not Maxlife. I'm not sure I've ever seen Valvoline Mercon LV but either way you should be fine (Mercon LV or Maxlife)

The MaxLife LV is their Mercon LV.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello Oiled, When you drain this fluid please report on the color as best you can.
Also, a brief description of the smell.
I have been going through a 12 gallon stash of Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc LV and the peppermintiness of old Dex/Merc fluid is missed.

I will for sure keep you posted of my findings, should be interesting.

Thanks again everyone for your advice, its been very helpful. I'm hoping to get this done over the next week when I get time. Am I at a disadvantage if I do this on ramps with the angle? Or should I try and get the car up and level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back