Assault On Mount Mitchell is in the history book!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I finished the ride. I wasn't sure I was going to make it. My legs were cramping really bad. I couldn't stand straight up at times. Never felt such pain before and I was seriously considering throwing in the towel at mile 95. The total distance was 103.8 miles. My Garmin died so I stopped it right before it did to save this workout. It was freaking hot up there at 89°F. The weather forecast 69°F. But I guess it was better than last year. They said it was cold and had hail on top of Mt Mitchell.

This isn't very high for you western folk, but for us on the east coast it is the highest point east of the Mississippi.

They make such a big deal about Mt Washington around here that I figured it was the highest spot in the East...thanks for showing me the truth!

Very impressive ride, you should be proud. A century is hard enough without the big climb!

Congrats indeed! You "conquered" a mountain.

I "climbed" up the back-side of Half Dome in Yosemite National Park.
I say that in quotes because no ropes etc. were involved. 'Twas a steep walk, really.
From the Merced Valley floor to the top = 11.6 miles. 23.2 mi. total.

Thanks for sharing the Garmin layout.
I love the trophy image with the "x0" notation. Does that mean there was no awards ceremony or that you didn't win one?
You're my hero anyway. Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira
Congrats indeed! You "conquered" a mountain.

I "climbed" up the back-side of Half Dome in Yosemite National Park.
I say that in quotes because no ropes etc. were involved. 'Twas a steep walk, really.
From the Merced Valley floor to the top = 11.6 miles. 23.2 mi. total.

Thanks for sharing the Garmin layout.
I love the trophy image with the "x0" notation. Does that mean there was no awards ceremony or that you didn't win one?
You're my hero anyway. Kira

Congrats to you on your climb. Anything like that is a major accomplishment. Like my wife says, just getting out and walking every day makes a difference in one's health.

Thank you.

That is a Trophy for Strava. Basically it was my first time on any of the segments that are on that ride. Next time I ride that route and do better than my previous ride then I would get a trophy. At least the is my understanding of how it works.

Not sure if I'm going to try it again. I have been thinking about it. It really was a nice ride, minus all the pain I really enjoyed it and the scenery. Nothing like the mountains in western North Carolina.

Last edited:
Did you do the mountain bike one or the road bike one? I did the MB one a few years back and it was a killer, it very hard to train for climbing where I live. It was the 2nd hardest ride I have ever done behind the Shenandoah mountain 100

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back