I shifted 254 times on my commute home

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only time I dislike shifting is in stop and go traffic - normally I find it great fun. I find my FZ1 gearbox a little 'clunky' to get into first when at a standstill, unless I hold the clutch in for 8 to 10 seconds.

FZ1OA

My new daily driver (Civic LX) has a great transmission and the clutch is super light...

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
that's roughly 500 times per day. 2500 per week.

There's a lot to be said for commuting on a Honda DCT. Didn't know how awesome it would be until I tried.

When my commute bikes were an FZ1 and an R1200R, one thing I preferred about the FZ1 was it wanted less shifting. Plenty happy leaving it in 6th down to 40MPH. On the R slowing from cruising speed to 40MPH I would have downshifted twice. OTOH I was a lot more prone to try and shift the FZ1 to 7th. The R is the one I kept. Along with the DCT bike.

On the FZ1, I think redline in 1st was 100MPH indicated, so in theory I could have done my entire commute in first. In practice I'm not sure how well that would have worked, but it wouldn't have been pleasant.

Originally Posted By: David_g
Originally Posted By: tomcat27
that's roughly 500 times per day. 2500 per week.

There's a lot to be said for commuting on a Honda DCT. Didn't know how awesome it would be until I tried.

When my commute bikes were an FZ1 and an R1200R, one thing I preferred about the FZ1 was it wanted less shifting. Plenty happy leaving it in 6th down to 40MPH. On the R slowing from cruising speed to 40MPH I would have downshifted twice. OTOH I was a lot more prone to try and shift the FZ1 to 7th. The R is the one I kept. Along with the DCT bike.

On the FZ1, I think redline in 1st was 100MPH indicated, so in theory I could have done my entire commute in first. In practice I'm not sure how well that would have worked, but it wouldn't have been pleasant.

one thing I love about my XSR900 is that the triple makes such flat torque as long as the engine is spinning 2500rpm you can basically run it in one gear a lot. I can stick it in 4 or even 5th and be happy from 20-60mph without needing to shift and only using half of the engines rev range. A lot of shifting has to do with the type of bike you're on. Something with little power or something peaky like a 600 supersport is a tad more work in traffic.

Even tons of shifting doesn't necessarily mean a lot of wear on the clutch as it's a wet clutch. Most clutches will last a very very long time if you aren't slipping it or dumping it all the time. Most bikes never need a clutch replacement before they are crashed or retired to rot in a barn.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
That's why I drive an automatic. I want nothing to do with having "that much fun".........

eer25.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back