Anyone here attending Indy in person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are, I'm jealous! Will be watching on TV, be sure to wave!
34.gif

I've been to qualifying and my dad has been to a few races. He had a seat across from pit row in 1981 and saw Rick Mears catch on fire. Couldn't see the flames he said due to the type of gas they used back then.

Last edited:
You get replays & commentary on TV. Less crowds in your living room too.
Of course its a party there. Social event really. It makes watching them goin' round & round seem interesting if your buddies and cool chicks are around.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I've been to qualifying and my dad has been to a few races. He had a seat across from pit row in 1981 and saw Rick Mears catch on fire. Couldn't see the flames he said due to the type of gas they used back then.

Yup, methanol burns with an invisible flame.

I will be watching all 3 races on TV. I usually go for Charlie Kimball but it will be hard to not pull for Alonso.

My son and I might go up, we've done it 3 or 4 times. In 1970 one of my dad's boyhood friends gave us seats on the front row of Turn One; he advised us to duck down behind the wall at the green flag as well as at any restarts.

I have passes to go if I want to, but I haven't decided yet. I used to be a big fan of the Indy 500. After the formation of the IRL, not so much.

I'll be near the entrance to pit row, close to tunnel 7. This will be my 4th time there. I have a feeling its going to rain......

Last time I went was the year Eddie Sachs got killed in the fiery crash, so it's been a few years...I couldn't even name one driver who races at Indy these days...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Last time I went was the year Eddie Sachs got killed in the fiery crash, so it's been a few years...I couldn't even name one driver who races at Indy these days...

I decided to look up that crash, was it ever a horrible one.
It's one thing to see a collision and a burst of flame, but seeing a car just sitting there in an immense field of fire when you know there's a man inside is almost too much to take.

I was there when Michael Andretti came to a stop(between turn 3 and 4) with like 12 laps to go right in front of me. Great finish when Little Al nosed out Scott Goodyear.

I'll be at the entrance to turn 3. I can see the exit of 2, the backstretch, turn 3 and the entrance of turn 4. IT NEVER RAINS AT INDY!

tig1 said:
I was there when Michael Andretti came to a stop(between turn 3 and 4) with like 12 laps to go right in front of me. Great finish when Little Al nosed out Scott Goodyear.[/quote

That was 1992.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: grampi

I decided to look up that crash, was it ever a horrible one.
It's one thing to see a collision and a burst of flame, but seeing a car just sitting there in an immense field of fire when you know there's a man inside is almost too much to take.

There's an excellent book about that year's 500- Black Noon: The Year They Stopped the Indy 500 by Art Garner

Yep been to about 5 Indy 500's, about 10-15 years ago, when I was young.

Now that I'm older I go to Circuit of the America's for F1 ever year, and refuse to do it unless its in a suite or a party RV. I'm getting soft.

Originally Posted By: tig1
tig1 said:
I was there when Michael Andretti came to a stop(between turn 3 and 4) with like 12 laps to go right in front of me. Great finish when Little Al nosed out Scott Goodyear.[/quote

That was 1992.

Ah, the Andretti curse...I swear Mario was the best driver ever at Indy, he just couldn't get his cars to last the entire race...I remember in '87 when he had 2 laps on the entire field with just a few laps to go and his car conked out...again...he should've won this race like 5 or 6 times....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back