It looks like GM is called out....................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now GM is being accused for using software to beat diesel emissions testing. I wonder how this will play out...... I didn't think VW was the only company doing so.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
If everyone is cheating on the tests, maybe the tests are stupid.

Agreed. For this case especially.

Emissions control by the Government versus emissions claims by vehicle manufacturers is a cat and mouse game. The game will slow down or cease as alternative fuels and energy sources become more popular.

I agree. Too many people with too much time on their hands. I really hope GM wins this one, although I have my doubts.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
I can't wait for The Donald to disband the EPA.

What a stupid idea!!!

Without them, greedy corporations would do anything and everything in their power to save a buck- and if that meant dumping all manner of pollutants into our air, water or ground- they'd do it in half a heartbeat. They have in the past and will do it again if allowed. Perhaps not on the same scale as before but rest assured, they will.

How about a better idea??? Maybe reign them in some??? Loosen some of their draconian regs on SOME areas and better enforce others.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

What a stupid idea!!!

Without them, greedy corporations would do anything and everything in their power to save a buck- and if that meant dumping all manner of pollutants into our air, water or ground- they'd do it in half a heartbeat. They have in the past and will do it again if allowed. Perhaps not on the same scale as before but rest assured, they will.

How about a better idea??? Maybe reign them in some??? Loosen some of their draconian regs on SOME areas and better enforce others.

Why because you feel every corporation is a grose polluter? More like when they are over regulated, they just close shop here in the US, layoff all their workers, and move to China, where they are free to ignore every law!

The EPA has 15000 hacks working for them, dreaming up new rules, which are never voted on by our representative, and consequences be [censored] for everyone who looses there job or anyone else who has no input.

I say ax 50% of the EPA hacks, and force them to cut 2 regulations for every new one. There has to be a balance!

You'll be waiting for a very long time, because it simply isn't going to happen.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
EPA has its usefulness, but at this point only as a governing and monitoring body. Their power to make new rules should be taken away pronto, at least for the foreseeable future.
this and C.A.R.B here in California. They have banned trucks built before 1995...So everyone had to replace equipment for no other reason except to stay within the law.

I like clean air as much as the next guy but when it seems the emission goals set by the EPA are unrealistic at this point and time. Perhaps now more than ever do we need to re-evaluate the levels set forth.

What I see our current emissions standards as a cap and trade, if one could use that. Sure the emissions out of the tail pipe are better, but its traded for the emissions caused by reduced engine life (early failures), production/shipping of emissions devices, reduced oil change intervals, reduced fuel mileage and the emissions caused by manufacturing and shipping DEF.

I would love to see the EPA's numbers on those above.

In this case this is a private lawsuit and no one else, any gov agency or 3rd party, has found anything. Not saying its not true but rarely does a lawsuit get filed like this till a Gov agency gets involved as its hard to prove.

"the trucks comply with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency emissions standards and California's own tough emissions standards."

This is also the same law firm that is suing GM about the Chevy Cruze's. Because of VW they are hoping to piggy back on the anti-diesel views and make a quick buck.

And more people cheat test after 1 gets away with it. The test/requirements are not bad, its just those that are tasked with over seeing and enforcing it do not have the funding or staff to do so effectively.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
ever been to Lima peru, or big cities in Turkey?

you can not in winter see down the street

I went to Lima in the winter. I thought overall Peru was super clean.

From my non-expert point of view, I see the current EPA somewhat the same as some unions - they started out with a good purpose and have done plenty of good, whether it gets publicized or not. However, they've both gotten out of hand, each in their own ways, and are out for any blood they can have. As much as I hate to say it, would automobiles be anywhere near what they are today if not for the EPA's demands for fuel economy and emissions? Yes, EGR and AIR pumps suck(ed), but I doubt GM would've taken the perogative to make a powerplant like my Cruze's 1.4 turbo if they didn't have to for emissions and fuel economy - and I think that engine and the others like it are a good thing. But it's true, even if it means a few more emissions for a few more years, the EPA has certainly killed off or run off (offshore) some good companies, ideas, and designs that there was no better alternative to, all in the name of every ounce of fuel economy that can be had, and it has had its detractors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back