GMC Intellilink system playing music from SD card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoping someone can help. I have the GMC Intellilink system in my Sierra 1500. I have an 8g SD card loaded with music, probably around 900 songs (still have ~5.5g of vacant space left). The problem is it only gets through about ~250 songs before they start repeating from the beginning, and not playing any of the remaining ~650 songs. Does anyone know if this is the max this system can handle from one device? I stopped by a local dealer yesterday and asked them but, as nice as they were, they had no clue. The songs are in the supported formats according to the ownner's manual.

On a side note, my wife's Frontier doesn't have SD capability but does have a USB port for music. Ironically, hers plays exactly 255 songs and starts to repeat from the beginning, leaving many hundreds of songs unplayed as well.

Last question, my son showed me how to take my music CDs and copy the songs to my computer so I could copy them to my SD card, and my wife's USB drive, for our vehicles. Could this be the problem? I'm far from being a techie on stuff like this so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Are you organizing the songs into folders? 2^8 = 256. If the computer is addressing the songs with 8 bits, it could loop after 255 or 256 songs. Arranging the files into folders would probably fix the issue as long as each folder contains 255 songs or less.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Are you organizing the songs into folders? 2^8 = 256. If the computer is addressing the songs with 8 bits, it could loop after 255 or 256 songs. Arranging the files into folders would probably fix the issue as long as each folder contains 255 songs or less.

This +1

I appreciate the responses. Neither of my sons are available or I would ask them. How would I go about doing the folders? Again, I'm not much of a techie and pretty weak in these type of situations. Your help is very much appreciated.

If you have a card reader on your home computer or laptop, instert the card, a popup should appear asking what action you would like to take. Click on Open Folder, this should open the contexts of the SD card/USB stick in File Explorer.
From there you can right click and create new folders. Once the folders are created, you can Cut and Paste the songs into the folders. The bottom left corner of the File Explorer will tell you how many files you have selected, this should help you get an idea of how many files you're cutting and pasting.

Thanks Krisz. I'll give this a try. I'll let ya'll know either way if this solves my problem. This is why BITOG is one of my favorite places on the internet.

Wanted to follow up on my initial problem. Thanks to the suggestions of several members here about making additional folders to divide up the songs in, it appears that it will work. I can finally see, through the GMC intellilink system, all the songs that copied into the four folders I created. That wasn't the case before with all the songs just copied to the SD card without individual folders. Now my hope is after the first folder plays the last song, it will jump to the next folder and pick up with the next set of songs. I don't feel like sitting in my driveway and listening to 250 songs to find out. Is there a smarter way to find out? Anyhow, your help was much appreciated.

Last edited:
Irrelevant: I've been contemplating this - I don't remember seeing any car audio that takes an SD card input except for a 'Dual' brand Wal-mart media player sans CD-rom. I didn't know that an OEM had it in a newer car likes yours. Cool, I like SD cards. I got a 32gb Samsung SD card (actually three of them) at Micro Center for $4.99/each a month ago.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Irrelevant: I've been contemplating this - I don't remember seeing any car audio that takes an SD card input except for a 'Dual' brand Wal-mart media player sans CD-rom. I didn't know that an OEM had it in a newer car likes yours. Cool, I like SD cards. I got a 32gb Samsung SD card (actually three of them) at Micro Center for $4.99/each a month ago.

I went back and checked to make sure I didn't mis-identify the little card that fits my truck. It is definitely an SD card. Where, or what is a Micro Center. I've never heard of it/them.

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

I went back and checked to make sure I didn't mis-identify the little card that fits my truck. It is definitely an SD card. Where, or what is a Micro Center. I've never heard of it/them.
They're an electronics store similar to Fry's. They have computer parts and all kinds of computer accessories.

I am having a similar issue in my 2016 Chevy. Mine are in folders though but it does not want to show all of the folders or play all the songs. It also takes USB drives and does the same thing to them.

Usually there is a spec for the hierarchy that they system can handle but gm doesn't want to talk about it for some reason.

Just a follow up to my original post. The creation of multiple folders did in fact solve my problems. With the system set for random play, it will cycle through all folders playing songs I forgot were even on there. If I take it off random, and go to the last song in the folder, it jumps to the next folder. Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back