Top Tier Gas a good choice for OPE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear people have differing opinions of what gas to use in the OPEs. Some say you should use 89(Mid-grade) or the 91(premium grade) octane gas in them. I can agree with 89 or 91 in some two stroke engines but not an across the board recommendation. Most 4 stroke engines are designed to run on 87 octane. Straight gas is another recommendation. Either its the anti ethanol crowd or someone influence by the anti ethanol crowd that believe that. However, there is some merit to this especially to most 2 stroke engines or any older engine. Either of these option come with higher price tags. There is one I did think of and that is top tier gas. It usually has higher detergents and other stuff. And usually cost a tad more. What do you think of top tier gas as a good recommendation for OPEs?

I've used whatever tier is readily available in all of my OPE without issue.
The dealer where I purchased my Toro 2 cycle snowblower and Echo trimmer recommends 89 or 91 for OPE, even specifically recommending fuel by brand.
I have started using Costco premium in all of my OPE, except for my X series Deere. However, I use 2 gallon a year at most in my smaller OPE. The Deere gets 87 Giant Eagle, or Kroger fuel.

I don't think it makes much of a difference though I could be wrong.

Grandpa (been gone for two years now) has a 74 John Deere lawn mower with a Kohler engine that is still running with non-top tier gas. I use it every time I mow his acre lawn and his 70s John deere push mower.

For my parents they have always used Sunoco gas because it is the gas station that is closest to our house and have been fine with 20 year old OPE that have never seen any type of fuel system cleaner. The benefit is that Sunoco just became or is in transition to becoming top tier.

All our OPEs (lawn mower, push mower, 2 stroke leaf blower, 2 stroke weed whacker, snow blower, chainsaw) all see 87 octane.

Last edited:
Most of the "anti alcohol" folks just want a CHOICE of pure gas vs the alcohol mixture. Those who like to pay for gas and get alcohol, knock your selves out...but don't tell me what I have to buy.

Never used it, never will.
I've used 89 octane E10 in every engine I own, including small engines, for around 30 years. I keep non-automotive fuel treated (as I would any gasoline that's stored) with Stabil. I've never purchased "top tier" fuel, never bought into the marketing hype, and never had a fuel related problem with any engine in that time that can be attributed to the fuel itself, even with engines that only get used once or twice each year.

My own recommendation is to not to over-think something that simple. Use fuel from any station that has a reasonably high volume of traffic, and if you won't use the fuel in a week or so add Stabil to it. I put Stabil in my 30 gallon gas caddy each time I fill it. Then I know that fuel that is 5 or 6 months old is still good. On the rare occasion that the fuel in the caddy becomes more than 6 months old it's put into one of the vehicles, and the caddy is filled back up with fresh fuel.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Most of the "anti alcohol" folks just want a CHOICE of pure gas vs the alcohol mixture. Those who like to pay for gas and get alcohol, knock your selves out...but don't tell me what I have to buy.

If you live in an area where it's the only choice, then that's your fault. There are plenty of areas of the country where there is a choice.

My OPE runs better on E0, so I try to use 90octane recreational gas.. it also stores better. I treat with marine stabil or pri-g.

The tractor usually gets 89 or 93octane e10 about 50% of the time because the e0 station is out of the way and I dont make a special trip past (30miles).

I have tried the weedeater on e10 and it definitely performs better on e0.

The echo 590 is getting e0 only... also I switched all my 2 cycle ope to echo red armor. I use less than a 16oz bottle a year so the cost is low.

I was going to spend on an Eagle gas can but I realized the spout might attract dirt which you then pour into your OPE gas tank.. the no-spill design is much better.
But the best thing I did was purchase a no-spill 1.25gal can to use for mix gas.

It really is no spill. no gas on hands.
The new regular cans are TERRIBLE. I tried 3 different ones and the tip broke on all of them almost immediately.
I had an old can that didnt seal well, and one of the ones you pull the spout of of the cap which gets gas on your hands.

The no spill cans operate very smooth and easy esp on smaller ope with 16oz or less gas capacity.

Overthinking things big time. Top Tier was implemented by automakers concerned about issues with their fuel injection systems and intake valves on engines with lifespans of hundreds of thousands of miles, usually with agressive emissions systems feeding crankcase vapors back into the intake...

Think about most OPE equipment: old school carbs and simple arrangements that if we are honest aren't designed to last all that long these days.

Use whatever brand of gas in the octane rating called for by the manufacturer and sleep easy at night. If you want to use E0, knock yourself out...

We've been using E10 gas here for 20+ years, and its gone in everything I own for OPE.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Never used it, never will.
I've used 89 octane E10 in every engine I own, including small engines, for around 30 years. I keep non-automotive fuel treated (as I would any gasoline that's stored) with Stabil. I've never purchased "top tier" fuel, never bought into the marketing hype, and never had a fuel related problem with any engine in that time that can be attributed to the fuel itself, even with engines that only get used once or twice each year.

My own recommendation is to not to over-think something that simple. Use fuel from any station that has a reasonably high volume of traffic, and if you won't use the fuel in a week or so add Stabil to it. I put Stabil in my 30 gallon gas caddy each time I fill it. Then I know that fuel that is 5 or 6 months old is still good. On the rare occasion that the fuel in the caddy becomes more than 6 months old it's put into one of the vehicles, and the caddy is filled back up with fresh fuel.

If you live in an area where it's the only choice, then that's your fault. There are plenty of areas of the country where there is a choice.
So I should move my practice which took many years to develop just to find alcohol free gasoline. Easy for some to say. How about the Federal Government should can the alcohol requirement and make it a choice instead? Why does the notion of a CHOICE offend you? Are you afraid most folks will walk away from the stuff? The environmental "good" aspect of the alky/gas has been shown to have no sound basis in fact.

Last edited:
Around my area we can get E0 only in premium gas, so that's what I buy.

I agree most OPE does not need premium, but I want E0, so premium it is.

Many marine engines need 89 octane.

The 2-stroke Stihl weed trimmer I bought last year states to use 89 octane. You can remove the ethanol quite easily from gas for small batches by using a two liter pop bottle, 93 octane, add 12 ounces of water, shake, put bottle upside down, watch in awe as the gasoline floats to the top while the ethanol and water combine to the bottom which you drain out by slower cracking the cap open. The octane level drops to about 90 from 93 when doing this.

100LL from the local airport runs MUCH better in all of my outdoor power equipment than anything from a local gas station, with the exception of 110 leaded race fuel. 100LL exhaust smells better and it's cheaper as well.

I used to work on power equipment so I have SEEN what bad gas/ethanol can do to small engine carburetors. And fuel lines.

I CHOOSE to run 90 octane ethanol free (with Stabil) in my 4 cycle small engines. My 2 cycle small engines get canned premix 50:1 fuel(TruFuel or similar)

If you mix 2 cycle yourself, you should start out with 89 or 91 octane. I believe when you mix the oil in, it lowers the octane level, so that's why your supposed to use 89 or 91 octane when you mix up 2 cycle fuel yourself.

Most of the "anti alcohol" folks just want a CHOICE of pure gas vs the alcohol mixture.

Texas heat + E-10 + rubber parts = BAD STUFF

I am so tired on working on small OPE that ethanol has caused carb problems with.

Bigger engines are no problem, but small 2-cycle carbs have passages so tiny they plug really easily.

I was using AvGas, but now have 87 octane E-0 available, and the problems have gone away.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
I have started using Costco premium in all of my OPE, except for my X series Deere. However, I use 2 gallon a year at most in my smaller OPE. The Deere gets 87 Giant Eagle, or Kroger fuel.

We have a Costo right up the street and when I read they were rated a top tier gasoline I started using it in my OPE. Prior to that I used Shell gasoline. 87 in the mower and snow thrower, 91 in the 2-cycle blower and Echo trimmer. All OPE gasoline gets SeaFoam when I fill up the containers.

I say why not. E0 is more of a priority for me but now that my local Shell started selling E0 again I'm using it in every thing. As long as it doesn't cost you an arm and leg I'd use it.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
100LL from the local airport runs MUCH better in all of my outdoor power equipment than anything from a local gas station, with the exception of 110 leaded race fuel. 100LL exhaust smells better and it's cheaper as well.

That's exactly what I do, luckily have a municipal airport across the street from where I work and you can walk right on the flight line and purchase it.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The 2-stroke Stihl weed trimmer I bought last year states to use 89 octane. You can remove the ethanol quite easily from gas for small batches by using a two liter pop bottle, 93 octane, add 12 ounces of water, shake, put bottle upside down, watch in awe as the gasoline floats to the top while the ethanol and water combine to the bottom which you drain out by slower cracking the cap open. The octane level drops to about 90 from 93 when doing this.

I think the octane drops to about 80. I would not suggest what you mention.

Sometimes I hang out at the local L&G equipment shop. The owner stays several weeks behind with mowers and all the 2 stroke stuff. #1 cause for repair...ethanol gas. Everything needs a carb or a carb rebuild. He strongly advises to use 91-93 octane Top Tier gas. He also recommends using the Truel Fuel canned gas to run in and store for winter.
My own experience recently is my Redmax gas hedge trimmer had been put away for the winter with Top Tier gas with Stabil. This spring it wouldn't stay running. Took it to him and he took the carb off and there was corn starch in the bowl. He was able to clean out the jets and it worked. Guess where the corn starch comes from? Not even Stabil will always work over the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back