Stuck oil filter? Use a pipe wrench...

Probably a quick lube shop or a repair shop. Another reason why I try and do everything myself. When I get lazy and pay a shop for a repair or service I usually regret it.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: RNMKia
I tried a smaller band wrench (crushed it), 3 jaw wrench (ultimately ripped it open), rubber strap wrench, hammer/flathead screwdriver, hammer/chisel, screwdriver through it (tore it apart). All that was left was the metal plate.

This would have removed your filter in seconds. All of those other methods suck compared to this.

Lisle 63600 oil filter wrench
41gd0o9Ph8L._SY300_.jpg

I have and love this tool, but I'm not so sure it would of done this job without crushing it.

Originally Posted By: earthbound

I have and love this tool, but I'm not so sure it would of done this job without crushing it.

Same here. I have the exact tool also and have attempted to take of oil filters that were put on gorilla tight and have twisted the body off and left the tapping plate.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Use a DENSO oil filter. They have a built in torque stop that prevents over tightening. Been using them for years and never had one leak at the seal. Or anywhere else for that matter.
smile.gif

Gotta watch out when using a "torque stop" style filter because once the gasket compresses all the way the OD lip of the can will dig into the filter seat, and if torqued any farther it will certainly be hard to remove later down the road. I stop using Toyota filters because I didn't like the filter gouging up the seat and also didn't like the efficiency.

This thread is an excellent stuck filter reference thread imo. OP had to go through many if not all the options I've seen posted here over time for stuck filters before ultimately arriving a solution.

Wow ! ! I've run into some problems with removing filters but nothing like these. I recently got a wrench like earthbound showed above and I hope it works as well for me as it has for others.

I bought a 1974 Grand Prix one time and the first oil change had me in the same predicament. I called a tow truck and the truck owner had a shop as well and he had the filter removed. That's why I do my own oil changes. What a PITA.

This tool has yet to fail me. But once again I haven't had to use it on filters I have installed. Just ones installed a the oil store. Just had to use it on my Stepdaughters Mazda in November.

View attachment 39304

I have that exact same tool. Bought it at Wally’s.

Anyhoo, since this all happened a few years ago my concern would be his filter attachment surface. Hopefully he didn’t chew it up with the pipe wrench.

Originally Posted By: RNMKia
I tried a smaller band wrench (crushed it), 3 jaw wrench (ultimately ripped it open), rubber strap wrench, hammer/flathead screwdriver, hammer/chisel, screwdriver through it (tore it apart). All that was left was the metal plate.

This would have removed your filter in seconds. All of those other methods suck compared to this.

Lisle 63600 oil filter wrench
41gd0o9Ph8L._SY300_.jpg
I have one of those and they are fantastic

OP, good job keeping your cool and working through to a solution. Giving into rage might feel good but rarely solves anything. In fact a rage makes things worse, and there is potential collateral damage to your health.

I’m a mechanic but never had to deal with that nor have I seen it happen. I don’t recall ever seeing a tool for it either.

I’m not a mechanic but I have had a few stubborn filters I have had to deal with. My best results were with wide mouth Channelocks. Most of those were the factory filters.

The old screwdriver through the side might have worked on older filters but today’s filters use a thinner metal body and I would surmise the result might be not as successful.

I’m not a mechanic but I have had a few stubborn filters I have had to deal with. My best results were with wide mouth Channelocks. Most of those were the factory filters.

The old screwdriver through the side might have worked on older filters but today’s filters use a thinner metal body and I would surmise the result might be not as successful.
That’s good I need to get me a big pair of those channel locks.

Back