Anyone used Hotwire.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was wondering if you guys had any experience with them? Good or bad?

Are there any other alternatives to hotwire, to find cheaper hotels and all?

Thanks for any help and comments
thumbsup2.gif

the issue eith hotwire priceline is you need to be committed and it is not flexible if your plans change.

you can go on trivago and do some comparison shopping first.

you maybe able to find better deals but takes some work and picking are much slimmer your best bets are directly at hotels website promos (esp. if you sign up for a chain loyalty program).

then discounters such as travelzoo or groupon may have specific hotels discounted.

if you have alternative traveler or credit card points you have another travel portal there to check out which can be same or lower or higher.

if you are looking to get the cheapest price then you should also consider the sharing economy and airbnb vrbo and other similar.

I've used quite a few of them over the years. At the moment, I prefer booking.com. You usually have a choice in the type of reservation you make, prepaid (usually the cheapest) pay a checkin (a little more but, with the ability to cancel with reasonable notice with no fee). I just had to cancel lodgings for a trip and it was simple and with no charge. nice app, too.

Can't help with Airbnb or similar types.

Vacation Rentals by Owner is similar to Airbnb. Found it to have a wider range of options. Just read all the posting and pay attention to cleaning fees and other charges that can be applicable before making a reservation.

I guess we should differentiate between regular hotel (and car and flight) bookings compared to "opaque" bookings where you don't see the name of the provider.

For regular bookings, the major hotel chains seem to have figured out it is in their interest to offer the lowest prices directly (for the identical room / conditions). A while ago, I would go to a couple of different aggregating sites, and be able to put in a claim with the chain using their best rate guarantee and get a nice discount while booking direct. Now, I generally don't bother and mostly just shop on price and quality amongst the chains that I prefer. I also have lots of hotel points and do the calculations about when to pay cash or use points. One discount I have found is that anything in the Hilton chain can have about a 10% discount compared to other hotels when using Citi's ThankYou points. I've gotten some superb rooms at great prices that way.

For opaque bookings, Hotwire has the advantage of being able to specify children in a hotel booking. Priceline only guarantees double occupancy. I used Priceline once for a one night hotel stay and the hotel was really bad and clearly did not meet the standard that they advertised (they compared it to several brands of the major chains). They refused to do anything about it, and I never used them ever again. That was 12 years ago.

My Hotwire bookings were fine but I never got anything that exceeded my expectations of the discounted price I received. I only booked with them when I was travelling alone on non business trips. With family, I want to be sure of what I'm going to receive and on business, there is no reason to take chances if you're personally not saving money but bearing the risk of a problematic hotel.

Some people use hotwire and priceline extensively and there are ways to figure out what hotel you are going to receive and many people have gotten great bargains. I can understand the attraction when trying to book high end properties but I've often found that there's a reason why a hotel that is in the category of $400+ hotels can be had for $200. I'd much rather choose where I'm staying and I have the option of using points when they make sense which is usually for the high end properties (as well as the lower end ones).

I've never used Hotwire or Priceline for "opaque" airline tickets but I did for car rental. I think there is little risk of a quality problem with "opaque" car rentals compared to hotels and the prices can be attractive. But for several years now, I've never found them to be cheaper than either going direct with some good codes or going through Costco. There are also some advantages with choosing the car rental company such as going directly to your car if you have membership.

Thanks CharlieBauer for your detailed response.

I learned something really powerful from your response (With family, I want to be sure of what I'm going to receive and on business, there is no reason to take chances if you're personally not saving money but bearing the risk of a problematic hotel), thanks again.

I used Hotwire almost exclusively until last year. I got into Seattle from Alaska well after midnight. The booked hotel told me that they knew nothing about Hotwire other than they had about five people coming in looking for $75 rooms in the past week. If I wanted a room, one left and it would be $220, thank you. Called Hotwire and they reversed the $75 charge but since it was after midnight they couldn't help me book a room until the next night since their software didn't allow it. Forgot to mention that it was a big prom night and everything in town seemed booked. So I paid the money and dropped Hotwire.

I now use Priceline and use their blind booking exclusively. No problems yet. If you look at price listings on the revealed listings, you can usually figure out the blind booking.

I generally like 2.5 star properties. Three stars doesn't generally include breakfast and I booked a four star property once and was told at the desk that wi-fi would run an additional $15 a night.

I've used hotwire for rental cars and it was way better than any other option. A few years ago, though. $15/day or so for a kio ria.

The biggest issue is hotwire turns me over to incredible dolts running the rental counter. It's as though the rental companies with the worst management hire/ train the worst workers and then use hotwire to bring in customers because nothing else works.

A franchisee had Dollar-Thrifty-Budget-Avis all behind the same counter and took a while to figure me out.

The first couple of times I used Hotwire I got decent to great deals. The next time was nothing special. The last time I ended up in a hotel that most definitely did not meet my expectations for either quality or price, not to mention that it was a pet friendly/people unfriendly environment, which was never mentioned in the site description. As I said, that was my last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back