You guys with GM 5.3 who use Synth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil One with an Fram Ultra Filter is a popular choice.

Last edited:
I've got an older 5.3 that has had every syn with 10k OCI's. I've only had UOA on Castrol edge gold, BC 0w30 and Amsoil 5w30(15k). The BC stopped my chronic winter piston slap. They all testers great as far as wear. You can find my old posts and check them out.

+1 ... ran mostly M1, VSP, PP to this year... but just switched to Delvac 1300 15w40

My BIL did 400k on Mobil Super 5w30 (bulk) - 5.3L was still good - trans finally went out ...

3 LS powered vehicles. A 5.7 LS1, The 6.0 in my truck and the 6.0 in the Caprice. All use Mobil 1.
Truck and the Trans Am get 10W30 and the Caprice get 5W30.

Your 5.3 will love any synthetic.

I too have a 2004 Buick Rainier, 5.3. Running 0-40 RL. Thick helps stop the piston slap from scaring me to death. Note: these Rainiers are LM-4, P code V8's with aluminum blocks and the slap noise is worse than some of the others I'm told. YMMV.

I've used Pennz Platinum 5W-30 in my 2010 Silverado with a 5.3 up until the last change. I used Mobil 1 this time around because I can buy it cheaper with the rebate. I'm sure the Mobil will work just as well as the Pennzoil.

I've been the only one to maintain my buddies 2011 Chevy 1500 with the 4.8 Vortec( same as the 5.3 but shorter stroke) since its had 40k miles and I'm still doing it with 131k miles. Its had various oils, mostly Castrol Edge 10W30, Valvoline Maxlife 5W30 and 10W30, and lately I've been using either QSUD 5W30 or Supertech Dexos 5W30, always changed every 5k with no problems. I've always used either a Fram Ultra XG10060, Fram Tough Guard TG10060 or a Baldwin B160 filter with no problems. Hope this helps you make a decision. Most people dont care but the drain plug torque is 18 ft lbs.

Last edited:
my 2004 vintage Tahoe ran 151K on Valv Synpower or NAPA Syn 5-30. Never had piston slap--ever---maybe because of iron block. Last 80K or so, burned about 1 quart in 5 K miles, so that is when the oil was changed--just before having to add a quart. I did a UOA when the OLM was at 127% and it still came back with great results. Usually AC-Delco oil filters
Steve

My 07 Sierra has 138k miles. Use whatever is on sale. Right now I have been using supertech 5w30. Honestly it seems to run the smoothest on the supertech, no piston slap, quiet.

PUP at the moment, but scored a bunch of M1 EP on sale recently so will use that for at least the next couple of OCI's.

I just have Schaeffer throw in a case of 5w30 synthetic occasionally with my commercial oil order. used it in a Chevy 1500 with the 5.3 and now in my 2500 6.0. Never had any engine issue with the 5.3 in the 1500, just despised the pickup in general. Was inventing new swear words because of it. Finally had to get rid of it and get the 2500.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back