necessary to turn off diesel while filling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why anyone would leave any engine running while filling up. Just using fuel. I shut off my pickup, my car, and yes, even my semi truck every time I fuel. Especially on the latter. If I am stopped for more than a couple of minutes, except in stopped traffic, I shut the engine off. That thing uses 1.5 gallons per hour idling. Add up the multiples of minutes stopped during a day and just idling all thru them, multiply that by operating days in the year, and that can add up to a lot money shoved out of the stacks. And it is one thing to listen to that engine when driving the truck, I sure don't want to stand beside it pumping 150 gallons and listen to it if I don't have to.

One practical reason to shut it off depends on the remaining fuel level in your tank. If it's really low, and you don't shut it off, it can suck air into the supply line to the engine. That's a big non-no on some engines (particularly Caterpillars) because they will die and not restart until the air in that line is purged. I know that Detroits and Cummins are "self purging" and will restart with extended cranking, but you can crank on a Cat 'til the batteries are dead and it won't fire. Little engines (like in cars and pickups) I'm not sure but would be very hesitant to find out from personal experience. I know a Kubota diesel in a reefer unit (2.2 liter)requires purging so I believe the same would apply to their tractors.

If no real need to let it idle, don't be silly, shut it off. I drove 'em for a living, and still own one.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Regardless of whether it's required or not, why would you want to stand close to the exhaust and breathe it in? It's certainly not good for you.

Then don't go near a truck stop! Let's see... I am 60 years old, was raised in a farm/ranch setting with all those tractors and other stuff belching a lot of smokey exhaust. Spent 7 years in the military breathing a lot of diesel exhaust from personnel carriers and tanks, and have been involved with commercial trucking since 1982. Not a health issue to date. it may not be good for a person, but not sure that it is the great boogie man that the EPA and the greenie crowd would have folks believe. kinda like saccharine was going to kill everyone. Lab tests proved it. The thing they didn't tell us was to ingest the amount of saccharin that killed those lab rats, we would have to drink several cases of diet soda every day. I just don't recommend that folks hook up the exhaust from their diesel so that it pumps it into the cab or into their home. That could be a problem.

And given the nature of modern emissions control stuff on diesels, the exhaust coming out the back is almost cleaner than the air going in the intake.

That's good advice.

Especially the last part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back