I shifted 254 times on my commute home

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's roughly 500 times per day. 2500 per week. that's a lot of potential wear on the clutch, cable, pivot points, shifting mechanism....

That's why I drive an automatic. I want nothing to do with having "that much fun".........

Originally Posted By: CKN
That's why I drive an automatic. I want nothing to do with having "that much fun".........

Amen

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
that's roughly 500 times per day. 2500 per week. that's a lot of potential wear on the clutch, cable, pivot points, shifting mechanism....

I view it differently. That's a lot of potential wear on the knee, ankle, foot....

You guys realize he's talking about a motorcycle.
Shifting is what I hate about riding a motorcycle, it sucks.
Pegging a shifter up and down on a bike sucks. Yet driving a car with a stick is much easier, but hardly anyone wants a new car with a stick.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Originally Posted By: tomcat27

I view it differently. That's a lot of potential wear on the knee, ankle, foot....

Who's counting? (Oh, right. You are.)

Nothing lasts forever. Not an automatic, nor a motorcycle, and certainly not you or I.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Even a sports car will be boring to drive in rush hour traffic.

Funny -- my experience is exactly the opposite.

Worst-case scenario, it's annoying. But boring? Not a chance.

How long was the drive? I don't know if it's a concern, or that you're just commenting, but maybe you can swap out the front or rear sprocket to adjust the gearing to work better with the speeds you travel?

Either way, I doubt there's anything to worry about. Keep the cables and joints clean and lubed up, and I'm sure you'll get tired before the bike!

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
I have no traffic, want a WRX 6 speed for my next commuter. Dang truck won't die...

Use OCOD and Walmart oil, truck will die horrible death......
crazy.gif
jus kiddin'

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Even a sports car will be boring to drive in rush hour traffic.

Funny -- my experience is exactly the opposite.

Worst-case scenario, it's annoying. But boring? Not a chance.

+1

But a well geared transmission isn't an issue to drive, even in traffic. But a motorcycle may be different.

Id suspect that in a car, an AT will have shifted more times than the equivalent MT, so more wear and clutch removal.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Pegging a shifter up and down on a bike sucks. Yet driving a car with a stick is much easier, but hardly anyone wants a new car with a stick.

Maybe it depends on a motorcycle, but I find shifting on a bike actually easier than in a car.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Maybe it depends on a motorcycle, but I find shifting on a bike actually easier than in a car.

+1 thinking back, I used to shift over a thousand times per hour on the motocross track...
An H-pattern shifter feels pretty awkward after using a sequential shifter where the clutch is sort of optional, or a 1 finger half squeeze.
I'd think on a 600cc+ bike you could get away with hardly shifting at all unless you have to stop all the time? 3rd will pull from 20mph to 90-100mph harder than 95% of cars using all their gears... But going up and down the gears is no big deal either.

Agreed, I hate driving a manual car and enjoy it on a bike.

30 mile commute each way. to be fair, my ride in has a lot less traffic and is enjoyable. the ride home is always a lot of traffic. I could also save time and shifting by taking the highway. yes, the sequential shift means 3-5 shifts for every stop

Last edited:

Yes, it's fairly effortless and comes naturally without even thinking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back