Service Champ 4967 Cut open TORN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crazy! What's going on with filters tearing these days? Its an epidemic! Its as if oil technology has advanced so our lube oils have become great, but our filters are made with poor craftsmanship and bad materials.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Crazy! What's going on with filters tearing these days? Its an epidemic! Its as if oil technology has advanced so our lube oils have become great, but our filters are made with poor craftsmanship and bad materials.

Many of these filters have been run too long.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled

I see. Like skipping a filter change with the oil change?

This is a good point. A lot of times we seem to be matching filter life to oil life and not necessarily to long life filters, like a Fram Ultra. I've never noticed claims from many of the filters, purolator or otherwise, that they were supposed to go beyond normal, as noted in vehicle user manuals. Perhaps we are mismatching filters and oci and that it's contributing to the tears? Purely speculation, no facts
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: blupupher
When did Champ start making louvered center tubes?

More than 4 years now on the Mobil 1 canister filters.

Dunno about other labels Champion Labs manufactures.

Royal Purple and Mobil1 is made by champ and both have had louvers in most applications that I have seen.

Originally Posted By: Bronco1

This is a good point. A lot of times we seem to be matching filter life to oil life and not necessarily to long life filters, like a Fram Ultra. I've never noticed claims from many of the filters, purolator or otherwise, that they were supposed to go beyond normal, as noted in vehicle user manuals. Perhaps we are mismatching filters and oci and that it's contributing to the tears? Purely speculation, no facts
wink.gif

Bronco1 - I have found 2 torn FL820S filters. Both were filters from prior oil changes of unknown duration using Mobil 1.
Since this time I have run many Champ PH820 and AC Delco PF1250. I cut all the filters and make an inspection. I have not had a bad result with them for 3000-6000 mile OCI/FCI. The filters I have run 6000 miles look much better than these do.

Additionally, others have discovered torn media very early in the filter's life. This seems most likely with Purolator manufactured filters.

In my view the filter should go into bypass before media tears.

If people are going to run long, they should use a filter designed for it.

Last edited:
I'll give the filter media a pass since we don't know about the mileage. But do those louvers look deformed to anyone else? There are a few on the left side that look messed up. Maybe just the camera angle.

The louvers overall looked fine to me. Sometimes you will come across louvers that aren't fully open. Also champ only opens up one side fully, so it may have looked closed or even more open on the other side. Someone did a C&P of a mobil 1 filter and that was shown to be the case. More open on one side that the other. Center tubes can be installed either way on the assembly line so what you see on one side may not be the case on another. I'll try to take pics of both sides if I see a filter with louvers again.

With unknown miles and engine, there is nothing that can be gleaned from this post other than a filter not named Purolator tore while in service.

As for the louvers, they look fine to me. A newer filter (late 2016) , it appears the QC in this regard has improved over filters made 3-4 years ago.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
With unknown miles and engine, there is nothing that can be gleaned from this post other than a filter not named Purolator tore while in service.

As for the louvers, they look fine to me.....

Agreed. While it's interesting to see dissections of these filters, without points of reference like oci/fci and time frame, difficult to reach more conclusions beyond what you state.

And while not excusing the tear, it's what would be considered a jobber tier filter. Filter best suited for ~5k mi. max ocis. The entry level Champ's like the topic filter have never been media area leaders either, same as the old WM Super Tech filters. As an aside, was looking at an STP Blue S4967 (and metric thread equivalent S6607) yesterday in AZ that would/should be identical to this one. While not shown in the pics, they too had Champ blue button bypass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back