Oil recommendation for 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car is due for an oil change. I didn't perform the last one but I was told the oil used was mobil 1 10W-30 high mileage. I just want to know if that was a good choice or not before I decide to use the same or change. I have about 220,000 miles. Temperature where I live ranges between 75°F-90°F

Welcome. M1 High Mileage is well-regaraded on here. It sounds like a good oil for your application.

That's on the thin side for the trusty ol' 4.0, but not a bad choice. A lot of owners run Rotella 5w40 or 15w40. Valvoline Maxlife 10w40 should do well, too, if it's available on your area. Though you'll probably be hard pressed to find anything more available than Rotella.

Rotella 5W40 is a solid choice although it's only a gallon jug and you will need 6 qrts.
Penzoil Platinum 10W30 runs quiet in a 4.0L where as the M1 oils for some reason can potentially be a little noisy in the 4.0 L.
If you were happy with M1 before then by all means to consider to use again .

+1 on the Recommendation for Rotella or Pennzoil High Mileage. They were my first choice for that motor.

I used both of those frequently in the last 5 years I owned my Cherokee 4.0. and the Pennzoil does seem to run quiet.

Before that, I used Valvoline (white bottle) and MaxLife later on. The MaxLife was always smooth.

GL

p.s. I'm in North Calif and the changes were always 10w30 in winter, and 10w40 in summer.

Last edited:
As long as it says 10w30 on the bottle, you're good to run it. A lot of people run thicker oils like 40 weights in them but I don't see the need, 10w30 is fine, I've run lots of different oils in my 4.0L and it doesn't seem to care.

M1 is a good oil, but note there have been several UOAs for the 4.0 that showed up to 4x the iron with M1 vs other oils. If you want a HM oil try Valvoline Max Life. Agree with the Rotella also.

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
That's on the thin side for the trusty ol' 4.0, but not a bad choice. A lot of owners run Rotella 5w40 or 15w40. Valvoline Maxlife 10w40 should do well, too, if it's available on your area. Though you'll probably be hard pressed to find anything more available than Rotella.
A thick 10w-30 HM with a 3.5 HTHS is on the thin side for a 4.0? I beg to differ. It's a great choice for his climate.

Originally Posted By: ChiefJeep
My car is due for an oil change. I didn't perform the last one but I was told the oil used was mobil 1 10W-30 high mileage. I just want to know if that was a good choice or not before I decide to use the same or change. I have about 220,000 miles. Temperature where I live ranges between 75°F-90°F

That's a good thick 10w-30 oil and is just fine. Rebates available through end of May.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'll do a little more research to make sure. But the current oil my car has now the majority of you guys agree is fine. Thanks again for the help and advice.

I've heard bad things about Castrol with jeeps

I read on the internet news a couple of days ago that Marilyn Monroe was killed by aliens from outer space.
It was on the internet, so it's got to be true.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

I read on the internet news a couple of days ago that Marilyn Monroe was killed by aliens from outer space.
It was on the internet, so it's got to be true.

I'd say that the Marilyn Monroe thing is actually more probable. Castrol 10W-40 would be awesome in a Jeep 4.0.

How bad? Like... really bad? Or just a little bad?

OP, just stick with the M1 10W-30 High Mileage, it's a great oil the suits your climate and application.

Id go for a 10w40, syn or conventional completely up to you. With that mileage I myself would go Conventional 10/40. Yes, ok, also if you can buy a 15/40 rated for gas/Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back