walmart oil change - tempting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never had anyone change my oil for me. something I don't particularly enjoy, but something I can do to save some money.

but I'm not sure if I'm saving money anymore.

Lately, I've been using one of the many synthetics available at walmart, often Castrol, and a Napa Gold filter. So if I buy the Edge-Black-bottle, I'm in it for $22 times two, plus $4 for the filter. My truck takes 7 quarts, so buying two 5 quarts gives me some extra for top-off, so there's a benefit there.

but I notice that their full synthetic oil change is on "rollback" now for $44. Even if there is an upcharge for the extra quarts of oil, that's almost a push with doing it yourself. This is the advertised price for "Castrol synthetic" which I'm not sure if it is the same as the stuff on the shelf, or not.

I'm a bit protective and what-not about my vehicles, so I'll probably continue to do it myself as long as I am physically able, but it looks like I need to find a different reason other than "value" which has gotten me this far.

Originally Posted By: meborder
I'm a bit protective and what-not about my vehicles, so I'll probably continue to do it myself as long as I am physically able, but it looks like I need to find a different reason other than "value" which has gotten me this far.

To me it's not about value. It's about having peace of mind that the job was done correctly. I've read way too many horror stories of quickie lube places like Walmart and iffylube to ever let them touch my car.

Try to find a good independent shop. Perhaps you could buy the supplies and have them just change it for you. Heck, the local dealer may even do this.

$44 buys you quite a bit.

Originally Posted By: meborder
I've never had anyone change my oil for me. something I don't particularly enjoy, but something I can do to save some money.

but I'm not sure if I'm saving money anymore.

Lately, I've been using one of the many synthetics available at walmart, often Castrol, and a Napa Gold filter. So if I buy the Edge-Black-bottle, I'm in it for $22 times two, plus $4 for the filter. My truck takes 7 quarts, so buying two 5 quarts gives me some extra for top-off, so there's a benefit there.

but I notice that their full synthetic oil change is on "rollback" now for $44. Even if there is an upcharge for the extra quarts of oil, that's almost a push with doing it yourself. This is the advertised price for "Castrol synthetic" which I'm not sure if it is the same as the stuff on the shelf, or not.

You better confirm if that $44 is for all makes and models. Usually it's only for up to 5 quarts and anything more will cost extra. Your at 7 quarts, so it's probably going to cost extra.

How many oil/filter changes do you perform annually?
Actually, with your next oil change you will have to only buy 1- 5qt jug as you will have the left over oil from the previous jug. Also you are saving money by not having someone less competent doing your oil change. Plus doing your own OCIs allows you to scope under your vehicle for potential problems before they become serious.

with the upcharge on the extra 2-3 qts, remember that they are putting a jobber filter on it as well. Synthetic oil changes don't get you a premium filter unless you provide it (spending your own money in the process). So the only value I can see is that you don't have to do the labor and get your hands messy. Higher cost ($). Lower return (cheap filter + paying for extra oil + someone who may or may not know what they're doing).

IMO it helps me sleep better knowing I did the OC myself since I checked everything twice. When I don't change the filter, I don't even have to get under the car. I use a cheap pump from home depot and get the old oil out from the dipstick tube.
smile.gif

I have thought about it and I used to use Walmart. I remember having to show the guy how to open the hood. I personally think its easier to just do it myself. Now waiting in some small waiting room. I enjoy it too.

Buy the oil you want, buy the filter you want, and do it yourself, or at least have someone you trust do it.

If you have the WalMart shop do it, you'll be constantly asking yourself if they did something wrong, what oil they used, if the filter is any good, etc... Don't put yourself through that.

As a carnut & former ASE Master Mechanic, I would generally advise to still doing oil changes yourself ( unless you are getting to old..). The reason is that unlike shop emp. who are rushing to get to next car, you can afford to wait to get more of that dirty oil drained out, and will take the time to put the plug back in by hand so as not to strip out the pan threads ( Happen to family members multiple times!). If you want a shop to do it for you, check (If you can see from outside the work area.)visually first for other customer's car being worked on & note how long they drain the old oil out & how the plug is reinserted & tighten. If drainage time seems short(old oil still coming out noticeably or using impact gun or air-ratchet to put the plug back in, go to another shop.
On the subject of oil, all the oils sold by Walmart is fine including their brand Super Tech full Synthetic is good enough for normal use(It is noticeably cheaper.Look for it in the 5-Quart container.). I been using both Castrol GTX Magnatec[costed me 70 cents more per 5-qts. Container.]
smile.gif
& it for all of my new cars with no issues.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
To me it's not about value. It's about having peace of mind that the job was done correctly. I've read way too many horror stories of quickie lube places like Walmart and iffylube to ever let them touch my car.

This.

I watched the guys change oil at the iffy lube across the parking lot while shopping with my wife. After watching them talking and joking, struggling to open the hood on a car and putting the drain plug back in while there was still oil coming out, I'm going to keep changing my oil for as long as possible. The oil filter was white and came from a white box with a stenciled Fram looking part number. One of the guys asked if I wanted my oil changed and told me about their transmission flushing machine and that they had a special going this week. He said that they have a universal transmission oil and that 5w-20 or 5w-30 covered all cars under warranty. I declined.

If you don't mind an underpaid part-time employee (who 2 weeks ago was working at the electronics counter and a month from now may move up to the french fry machine at McDonald's) doing work on your vehicle, then by all means Walmart may be a good choice.

Changing the oil myself gives me the opportunity to check things out underneath the vehicle. I also top off the washer fluids and check the brake fluid. Grease the door hinges, clean the battery etc.

The less my vehicles are touched by someone else the better. I got lazy recently and paid a mechanic to replace a signal light switch, BAD MOVE! Now my tilt steering no longer works, and I have noises when I turn the steering wheel. Upon returning it to him to correct it, he held it half a day, called and I got the typical cock and bull story I expected. I really wish I could find someone I can depend on for jobs I don't have the time to do.

A Walmart TLE is probably no worse than any other source of service.
In terms of cost, I've recently bought two jugs of M1 EP plus an M1 oil filter for $20.50 total after store deals and the MIR. With even casually careful shopping, you can easily get two synthetic oil changes for that $44.00 using quality filters.
You can certainly save some coin by doing it yourself and you can also rest assured that nobody will be as attentive to the details with your ride as you'll be.
That, and the whole job will probably take you less time than it will to drive somewhere, wait for the work to get done and then drive home.

I used Walmart to change oil for $14.99(supertech everything) on my 95 Civic years ago from 150k-200k. Never had any issues and sold the car perfectly running with 255k on it.

For $44 you can buy 2 jugs of Magnatec and a Fram Ultra at Walmart.
Plus as said, that is probably for just 5 qts, no idea what they charge per extra qt.
Not sure which "Castrol Synthetic" they are putting in, but it probably is the bulk Magnatec (I highly doubt it is Edge), then they put on a Fram Core filter.
You end up paying more for a cheaper filter, probably the same oil (or similar) plus somebody else to (hopefully) change the oil correctly.

Is the risk of it worth it to you? Only you can decide.

abj8l2.jpg

This is why you don't let Wal-Mart change your oil.

This was a transmission filter, tech punched a hole in it trying to remove it.

Note the red color, and warning label....

You don't have to wait until its time to change the oil to get under and check things.
I do it every few months.

*****. Again when I worked at Audi cars would be towed in all the time. A tech at Walmart jiffy lube or whatever would drain the trans and the dump an extra 6 quarts of oil in the engine. Then when they realized the car wouldn't move they would then find out they have no clue on how to fill the tranny up. Always surprised me how many oil techs out there had a 17mm Allen socket and a breaker bar to pull the plug out of the transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back