Are automatics really more efficient than sticks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it bugs me that my Toyota AT's refuse to lockup at low speeds. I noticed my Camry will unlock TC in third for very minor throttle changes. Yet, same exact speed in 4th and it will stay aggressively locked up for larger throttle adjustments. My Tundra is ridiculous about pushing too high of a gear but unlocked.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Usually gas pedal feel on a manual is feistier witch tend to make people fiestier .if the gas pedal was calibrated for similar feel .it would be almost equal (yes auto still got an edge ,about 3% max ) which I would recommend? Automatic .why ? Put Allison yes 295 oil in an auto and it last a long time ,can I say forever) the down side? 50 $ a gallon .

At least here in the US, the gas pedal "feel" I think leads to driving in ways that make it relatively easy to spot a manual being driven in traffic.

I know I'm guilty of the fact that when I start from a stoplight, for example, if I'm in free flowing traffic I tend to get to 3rd pretty quickly unless I'm shifting at the redline(which is not something I make a habit of, and which I don't really think has a place on public roads). Even at that, I know-and can feel-where the peak torque of my engine is, but I also don't tend to want to run it up that fast in day-to-day driving.

Quite a few manual drivers(and I'm including myself) will tend to jackrabbit off the line in 1st because once the clutch has engaged the throttle feels like almost an on-off switch. Of course, that's lest pronounced in higher gears.

BTW, I have a co-worker who is in his late 60s or early 70s and just bought the first automatic he's ever personally owned back in the fall. He always drives small to midsize pickups. He mentioned three reasons. First, he didn't like the 6 speed that was on everything he could find-he prefers a 5, but said he could get use to that. Second, the fuel economy on the automatic was a couple MPG better. Third, he said he's become spoiled by remote start in the winter on his wife's car.

Last edited:
Modern automatics can be greatly more efficient than a manual. You can thank vehicles that now come with 8,9 or even 10 speed transmissions coupled to lock up torque converters.

Originally Posted By: supton
Yeah, it bugs me that my Toyota AT's refuse to lockup at low speeds. I noticed my Camry will unlock TC in third for very minor throttle changes. Yet, same exact speed in 4th and it will stay aggressively locked up for larger throttle adjustments. My Tundra is ridiculous about pushing too high of a gear but unlocked.
21.gif

My Tacoma locks up in OD at about 40 mph 1500 rpm. Doesn't unlock unless I pretty much floor it. Can't get out of its own way and sucks horribly if I'm going uphill or hauling anything at all.

Our Versa (manual) really needs a 6th gear or taller gearing overall. In 5th, it's turning roughly 3000 rpm but gets ~45 mpg just holding that speed so I'm not complaining. It's close to 4000 at 75-80, and mpg just falls off to the low 30s. That's worse than my 2000 Cavalier with a 4-speed auto that does 80 at about 2700 and gets 37 real-world MPG doing it. Of course, the Versa gets 35 mpg around town and neither of our other vehicles can match that, though first gear is stupidly short and makes driving in stop and go traffic absolutely awful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back