5w20 instead of 0w20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys,

my f-sport is due for an oil change soon and i been thinking about switching to 5w20 instead of 0w20.

currently i have edge EP ow20 in it, the 5w20 will be the same. it will be 5w20 edge EP.

would it be okay to switch? with summer coming up, im thinking about go up one.

thanks.

with summer coming up, we be in the 80's by noon and it only gets warmer...

in the winter though, there are a few days it goes below 0.

You say your thinking about going up one. 5W20 is not thicker than a 0W20 . The 0 or 5 or 10 in front of the oil is for the cold. 0W30 and 15W30 are just about the same in hot weather. Your engine will never know the difference unless your in very cold weather where a 0W makes sense.

I agree that it makes no difference....either way....In other words I wouldn't buy 5w20 over 0w20 but if I already had the 5w20 I would use it without worry....

Originally Posted By: sky06
with summer coming up, we be in the 80's by noon and it only gets warmer...

in the winter though, there are a few days it goes below 0.

Below 0F in CA?

It's still not going to make any difference between 0W and 5W.

Originally Posted By: sky06
yeah.

For my old BMW that lives in northern WI where it often gets to -25F and below the difference between 0W and 5W is probably noticeable. But anywhere else where it doesn't get to double-digit temperatures below 0F the viscosity difference between the two is very limited. But even then with a good battery I have my doubts it would make the difference between "start" and "no-start".

On the other hand, in the summer as you describe there's no reason to "go up" to a 5W-20. I don't go up to a 5W-40 in the BMW since the operational viscosity is still in the same grade.

O.K. all of you oil nuts out there! Here is the inside scoop on oil. If your owner's manual says you can use either 0w-20 or 5w-20, then it is O.K..But if your factory manual says only 0w-20, do not use 5w-20 (Unless your vehicle is old & out of Warranty.).The reason is all new vehicles that were designed to run only on 0w-20, is because of newer tighter engine machining tolerances between moving parts[For more efficiency(Power,fuel burn, emissions,less blow-by,etc.)].Thicker oils or additives would mess this up & can{ & has...} cause excess wear & blow out seals(Caused by the oil not being able to get into the very tight machine spaces where it is needed. Also over pressurization at the many delicate seals.). Please note that all same grade oils are not always the same viscosity all of the time, hence why many manufactures request only single multi-grade of oil.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: GSL
O.K. all of you oil nuts out there! Here is the inside scoop on oil. If your owner's manual says you can use either 0w-20 or 5w-20, then it is O.K..But if your factory manual says only 0w-20, do not use 5w-20 (Unless your vehicle is old & out of Warranty.).The reason is all new vehicles that were designed to run only on 0w-20, is because of newer tighter engine machining tolerances between moving parts[For more efficiency(Power,fuel burn, emissions,less blow-by,etc.)].Thicker oils or additives would mess this up & can{ & has...} cause excess wear & blow out seals(Caused by the oil not being able to get into the very tight machine spaces where it is needed. Also over pressurization at the many delicate seals.). Please note that all same grade oils are not always the same viscosity all of the time, hence why many manufactures request only single multi-grade of oil.
smile.gif

Thanks for the inside scoop, we have been getting a lot of that special information lately - starting with the "inside scoop" on Purolator filters. Too bad that thread got deleted as you probably would have liked to read it.

So you're saying 5W can't slip into the tighter machining tolerances that a 0W can? Just how much thicker is a 5W than a 0W?

smile.gif

lol.gif
Thank god for inside scoops! Where were you earlier this year when I put 5w-20 in my engine designed for 0w-20? My engine is ruined!!!

Spend a little time here reading and learning before posting.
Everything in your post is laughably absurd.
I especially like your reference to "delicate" engine seals. Anyone who has had to R&R an actual seal knows that they're anything but.
Perhaps you intended it your post as satire?

smile.gif

Well by golly you learn something new every day. Time for your meds.
happy2.gif

smile.gif

What would happen if a 20W50 was put in there?

Engine would be as quiet as a church on a Monday morning and fuel economy would decline horribly, by maybe as much as 3%.

I was wondering what left field that post came out of. Has to be satirical. If not, the marketing folks and such have really made an impression on this "tighter clearances" stuff that it has affected folks to the extreme of even the cold flow rating. But I had a good idea what was going on when I saw "tighter engine machining tolerances". That shows someone who has been reading way too much of the wrong stuff. It might be arguable that modern engines have tighter clearances between components, but not sure how tolerant they are. I may be tolerant of someone's views on some issue, but not sure my engine takes any position on any issue.

Still trying to figure out how a 5w20 would be "thicker" than a 0w20. Will ponder that one for a while.
crazy.gif

smile.gif

Please return your 5 post for a full refund and delete your account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back