Butter...Imported???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tom slick
I'm buying from my neighbors
You can also find Amish butter.

^^^ This

Also, if you have around you any polish/eastern european (russian/ukrainian/etc etc) grocery....

I tried the French butter today on an English muffin...it definitely turns the butter-ry flavor up a notch. Would probably want to use such on things I really enjoy butter on...fresh-hot baked goods...baked potatoes...maybe popcorn. Something I will probably want to keep on hand but maybe not for everything-use...don't want to get spoiled by it. Anxious to try the KerryGold and another super-premium brand available locally.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Grain fed butter is nutritionally inferior to grass fed, so if you can get nice yellow butter, got for it.

remember when the fat on your beef used to be yellow/orange, and the grain feedlotting industry convinced us that whit fat was "cleaner"...

Being that butter has to be at least 80% fat in the US I'm not sure where the inferiorness comes in. The yellow fat on cattle comes from carotenoids from feeding excessive amounts of corn. Same reason why egg yolks are yellow, if they didn't feed the chickens corn they wouldn't be yellow or would at least be a different shade.

Probably the reason why imported butter tastes better or at least different is in the US butter has a "Standard of Identity" so that in order to legally call it butter you have to meet certain standards. Without researching it too much my educated guess is that imported butter doesn't have to meet the same standard and therefore can play with the formula/process and therefore why it's better or at least different. If you buy local made butter I'm thinking its either legally not butter or the process they use to make it is not profitable on a commercial scale (Land O Lakes for example).

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Years ago we found a local dairy farmer that sold butter to his neighbors. It was really better than any butter we found in a grocery store. I don't know what he does to make it different or if it's because it's fresh, I don't know. I think we pay a bit more but use so little that it's worth the extra cost. In fact since I got sick a few years ago we buy almost everything in the way of meat, produce etc from local farmers in an effort to eat better.

The problem with a lot of food today is not the small producers but the big industrial operations, the handlers and the distributors and the requirements for shelf life and transportation.

Try for a local farm. I think they still have lots of cows in Ohio so you don't have to go somewhere else.

Found an in-state dairy (Hartzler...Wooster OH) and a nearby store carries their butter in a 2 lb roll for $10.99 (no worse than Land O' Lakes regular price). Bought one yesterday. Advertised as "premium & artificial hormone-free"...looking forward to a taste.

Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
I don't know if you know this or not, but dairy products cause cancer. No, you're not going to hear this on the TV news. But that's what the peer review science says. Read it for yourself.
http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/dairy/
And believe it or not, American dairy is a lot worse than European. So if you're intent on eating the stuff, I'd go with the import. Good luck.

Most peer review sources do not check the validity of the data or reproduce the experiments and studies, they just review the methods and look for any major flaws in the studies. Doesn't make the science any more valid though it just filters out the obviously flawed studies.

As far as causing cancer, just about anything your exposed to often enough can be linked to some form of cancer. If you live long enough cancer is likely to find you as well. The air you breath, water you drink, any number of common everyday items have all been found to increase the chances of developing cancer, waking up every day increases your risk of cancer as well but you'll never see that in the news.

GrtArtiste, how do you like that butter?

I do like some imported butters, while Land O' Lakes butter and the grocery store brands that seem identical do not taste very interesting to me. For example, if Kerry Gold is in the house I will eat it daily, if the other stuff is in the house I will only use it on occasion.

There was a subtle Kerry Gold packaging change earlier this year, I don't know if that is bad news for their butter quality.
Their packing claims changed from "Irish Dairy Board" to "Ornua Foods"

I thought the French butter was delicious! I'm now in the middle of a 2 lb roll of butter from the Hartzler Diary (Wooster OH). It has a slightly more yellow color and tastes good, but not all that different from LOL. The Kerry Gold is on my list to try...as soon as I need more butter.

Since my last butter post I have had the Kerrygold and...oh my...this is the taste champ so far. If fact I consider it too good for my plebeian palate. I wish I had discovered this years ago. I would want this all the time if price wasn't a consideration. It's actually too good to share with guests...I want it all for myself. Practically speaking though, the French butter is $2.99 vs $4.99 for the Kerrygold and it is very nearly as good. I hope to try the Finlandia if I can find it.

I never knew there was so much to say about butter. My wife just gets whatever is on sale at the moment. Usually Land o lakes, store brand, Crystal Farms or something like that.

I know that with the amount of butter my mother in law cooks with, she HAS to get whatever is on sale, or in bulk. No fancy European stuff there.

I'm on a Presidente kick (French, Normandy). It's a little lighter in color so similar to Land-o-lakes but man it's good.

I keep a block or unsalted and a small bottle of clarified (clarified is butter that has the milk solids removed so the smoke point of the goes up considerably). I make the clarified at home. Very easy.

I'm also in progress with a pkg of the French "President" butter and it is **very** good. Some time later I'll be trying the Land O' Lakes European Style butter. It usually retails for $6.19/lb (and I would never buy it at that price)...but I found it on sale one day for $2.79.

Originally Posted By: Fattylocks
The imported or premium butters have a higher percentage of fat in them.

Not a lot higher though.

L'o'L unsalted: 11g per serving
Kerrygold unsalted: 12g per serving

It's not simply the fat content it's the quality of the ingredients used that makes the difference.

It's like comparing a bottle of VWB 5w20 to PUP 5w20. They are simply not the same, despite both being designed to lubricate an engine.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
It's not simply the fat content it's the quality of the ingredients used that makes the difference.

It's like comparing a bottle of VWB 5w20 to PUP 5w20. They are simply not the same, despite both being designed to lubricate an engine.

I don't know what it is, but the butter in Europe is definitely better than ours. It's so rich and creamy.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

I don't know what it is, but the butter in Europe is definitely better than ours. It's so rich and creamy.

They're not all the same, but some is very good indeed.

Hard to imagine imported butter in New Zealand, but there is. The soft butters are sometimes made in Australia, maybe other places too. Real butter is made here, real cows eating real grass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back