06 Milan Harsh Shifting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Recently acquired a 2006 Milan V6 with 78,000 miles. Car is in overall great condition and feels really solid.

Only problem that's popped up is when I shift into reverse from park it makes a heck of clunk when it goes into gear. Shakes the front pretty good too. It does it from N to D as well but no near as bad. Seems to be worse after it sits all night but it is still noticeable even when fully warmed. There is some literature on the web about this problem but I couldn't find a straight forward answer. Fluid is original and plan on having a full exchange done instead of doing multiple D/F's. I don't think new fluid was solve the problem though and need to figure it out before paying for new fluid.

Any ideas/thoughts/advice?

What does the literature you found mention? It sounds like a bad motor mount from you description.

usually a clunk from shifting (P-R or R-N R-D) etc
is a bad motor or transmission mount.

Update:

Mounts were good. Did some digging and found a TSB from Ford issued in 2007 for all Milans built prior to 9.24.2006 (this car built 10/2005) that fit the symptoms perfectly. PCM & TCM updates at the dealer ($85) and a trans flush ($189) and this thing is like a new car. With only 78,000 miles this car has a ton of life left. Really impressed at how smooth this car runs.

Yea I know, flushes are bad and the stealership is expensive. I know and I agree 100% but it's my sisters car and I don't have time with it to do X amount of D&F's. Was easier and time saving to have the dealer do it while it was there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back