Lexus Toyota V6's - Fitment for 2GR-FSE vs. 2GR-FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's come to my attention that with 191k miles on my '09 Lexus IS350 (135k of those under my watch), I've possibly been using an improperly-sized cartridge oil filter.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

I'd long used the TRD part number PTR43-00082 as recommended by both Toyota/Lexus parts departments, and due to availability, recently switched to the identically-sized Fram XG9972. These filters are all 2.64" long. After a lot of digging, it seems these are specific to the non-FSE engines, i.e. the 2GR-FE and 4GR-FE. The IS250 has the more potent 2GR-FSE.

The actual Toyota part number for the IS350/2GR-FSE is 04152-YZZA3 and is 3.2" long!

Have I been allowing dirty oil to bypass my shorter choice of filter for the last 6 years, or is there something in Toyota's cartridge housing that allows for use of different filter lengths?

I've always had Toyota perform my OC's, as they do a full vehicle inspection and OC all for a $12 rack rate... deal of the century! I bring them my own TRD filter as described above, usually with a jug of Wally World PP/PU. Not one tech has ever mentioned a fitment problem. Also, my Blackstone reports have indicated solid filtration.

What gives?!?

FWIW, I'm now on 7.5k mi OCI's on nearly endless Napa Synthetic 0W-20 I scored for $2.99/qt... First OCI will be via oil extractor at home, and filter/oil change will be every other OCI at 15k via Toyota.

Also, the XG9972 decision was based on this comparison along with a few other threads. I'd love to keep using it if still possible: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3117205

Many Thanks,
Nick

191K total miles, and for sure 135K miles under this regimen...

I wouldn't worry about it one bit. Just start using what is deemed the correct size from now on.

Originally Posted By: wemay
191K total miles, and for sure 135K miles under this regimen...

I wouldn't worry about it one bit. Just start using what is deemed the correct size from now on.

Thanks and would otherwise agree... but my real question comes down to this: if I really need the longer element, I'd like one of higher quality so I'm comfortable going 15k on it, and haven't seen many options there. And if for some reason the shorter element "works fine", which is possible given my longevity and UOA's, then Fram's XG9972 element is by most opinions of very high quality and preferable going forward.

Amsoil EA15K49 is 1yr or 15K miles guaranteed.
Mobil M1C-256A is 1yr or 20K miles guaranteed

Both are manufacturer by same company, I believe.

Doesn't seem to be any other High-mileage alternatives for your engine.

Originally Posted By: IllinoisSparky
Amsoil EA15K49 is 1yr or 15K miles guaranteed.
Mobil M1C-256A is 1yr or 20K miles guaranteed

Both are manufacturer by same company, I believe.

Doesn't seem to be any other High-mileage alternatives for your engine.

Great suggestions! Just noticed there's also a Purolator Boss PBL25609, but it's rare to find and all three options are really spendy! Was hoping there would be a good option closer to $10.

Originally Posted By: BeerLube

The actual Toyota part number for the IS350/2GR-FSE is 04152-YZZA3 and is 3.2" long!
Nick

Does the longer one even fit in there?

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: BeerLube

Nick

Does the longer one even fit in there?

Yah I've used the longer K&N PS-7023 for one shorter OCI and it installed fine... again AFAIK because I didn't get any feedback otherwise from the installing technician...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back