Beware of your surroundings

Status
Not open for further replies.
My deepest condolences to the victim's families and a quick recovery to survivors.

Now enlighten me this: How could kids under 14 be aware of their surroundings at a concert?

Last edited:
The problem is these things are capable of happening in any place with a large amount of people present. Concerts, sports games, fair grounds, schools, planes, etc.

It is hard to beware of things you can't identify easily.

There is no absolute safety. Terrorists and criminals will always find a way. Still, the odds of falling victim to terrorism are statistically negligible.* Much more probable to die in your own home. Slip and fall in the bathroom and impale on toilet brush, fall from ladder and break neck, get run over by own car in front of garage door because you forgot parking brake, drink too much vodka and suffocate in own vomit... whatever. Be imaginative. Dangerous [censored] happens all the time, and most of the time it does not involve other people intentionally harming you.
So why bother and let fear ruin life?

*unless fighting terrorists/criminals is your profession. Of course, in law enforcement or when deployed in a theatre of war or a crisis region with the military, the odds of getting harmed by violence are much higher. But for a civilian in a stable western civilized country?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turboseize
There is no absolute safety. Terrorists and criminals will always find a way. Still, the odds of falling victim to terrorism are statistically negligible.* Much more probable to die in your own home. Slip and fall in the bathroom and impale on toilet brush, fall from ladder and break neck, get run over by own car in front of garage door because you forgot parking brake, drink too much vodka and suffocate in own vomit... whatever. Be imaginative. Dangerous [censored] happens all the time, and most of the time it does not involve other people intentionally harming you.
So why bother and let fear ruin life?

*unless fighting terrorists/criminals is your profession. Of course, in law enforcement or when deployed in a theatre of war or a crisis region with the military, the odds of getting harmed by violence are much higher. But for a civilian in a stable western civilized country?
Sure, disconnect your airbags, don't use seatbelts, and don't vaccinate your children..make it REAL interesting.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Keep your eyes open these days................concerts are dangerous places sometimes.....

What would you have people look for?

How well do you anticipate being able to see those things in a crowd?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Sure, disconnect your airbags, don't use seatbelts, and don't vaccinate your children..make it REAL interesting.

Yeah, cross the street without looking, run with scissors, the possibilities are endless.

The airbag exmaple is rubbish. Of course you do not deactivate your airbags for reasons of manliness if you car has them, but you would not retrofit airbags to a a car that does not have them. (Actually, I have two classic cars without airbags, and until last summer have driven one of them daily. But then, they are Saabs, and are quite a bit safer than the typical car from that era).
Next example. Putting on a seatbelt is no hassle and does not compromise driving in any way, but the seatbelt is the single most important safety feature ever invented. Airbags have had a much lower impact on safety than seatbelts.
Third, vaccinations. Vaccins have a great risk-reward ratio. Minor and temporary inconvenience getting vaccinated, greatly reduced risk longterm.

But attending a concert and then not paying attention to the music, but screening everybody around you for suspicious moves? Well, if you can't enjoy the music/show, why go to the event in the first place? You put in a lot of effort to the point of ruining the main activity, when the risk you are trying to reduce is already extremely small? That just does not make any sense.

It is all about managing risk. And most humans are very bad at evaluating risk, and blow some things completely out of proportion, while neglecting the real dangers.

After the Berlin christmas market attack, when everybody in the german media was going crazy, I did some calculations. Even if from then on we would have one of these terrorist attacts every week, life in Germany would still be safer than ten years ago. For the very simple reason that the number of traffic deaths alone dropped by several thousands. Was I afraid of dying when I left my home in 2005? Nope. And if, even if we had a terrorist attack every single week (which we don't!), my life was safer overall in 2017 than 2005, why should I bother? The risk is still so small that it completely pales in relation to the risks of your daily life - traffic, household accidents, cardiovascular diseases/metabolic syndrome aquired by bad diet and lifestyle, improperly sanitized bathrooms in hospitals... and so on. THESE are killing people. THESE are worth worrying about. But terrorists? Meh...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Keep your eyes open these days................concerts are dangerous places sometimes.....

What would you have people look for?

How well do you anticipate being able to see those things in a crowd?

With all due respect for the gravity of the situation,
I think we are being bored-trolled!

The people who orchestrate these acts, have to find some dupe to put on a vest full of explosives. In a society that pays lip service to civil liberties, how do you prevent such things?

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
If this is anything like the London bridge "attack", where the girl that supposedly died in the hospital, posted picks from Vienna on her facebook page few days after her supposed death, then I'll pass on this story as well.

Ditto.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
If this is anything like the London bridge "attack", where the girl that supposedly died in the hospital, posted picks from Vienna on her facebook page few days after her supposed death, then I'll pass on this story as well.

Any sources for this?

So you are doubtful there was an actual attack in Manchester at all? Seems like faking an attack of that scale would be a deception very hard to pull off, with zero benefits to anyone with the resources to do it?

ANY public gathering can be dangerous! Not just concerts.
Prayers to the families of the beautiful young women who lost their lives in the senseless attack at the Ariana Grande concert.

The countries are letting in known problems and always you hear they were on the watch list making the government and itsemployees no better that the murderers. These occurrences have to be a set up by the governments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back