Utilities costs....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at purchasing my first home and would like to get an idea of what people spend on utilities. Yes, I know this varies GREATLY. The home in question is was built in 1959 and is on city water, sewer, gas, and trash service. I would be the only person living there so I'm trying to get an idea for cost on all these utilities. Also worth mentioning, furnace, hot water heater, washer and drier all run on gas.

I am estimating:
(per month)

$200 electric
$50 gas
$50 water
$25 trash
$25 sewer
$50 internet

Start factoring maintenance costs as well. What's the cost of a roof? It'll need one some day, budget for monthly saving for one. Pipe starts leaking in a wall, cost of that. Lawn care and any tree removals needed? Mowers and equipment can be pricy. Appliances getting old? 200 amp breaker box already?

Call the local utility and say you are the Realtor trying to sell Xxx house. Say your client was wondering the average gas and or electric prices last year.
In Chicago they told me.

Your estimates are probably fine but, most utility rates have some variance by community. I know there is a difference between my small town and down the pass in Colorado Springs. You should be able to contact your utility and service providers to get rates and compare against your current bills.

Nick1994 is offering some good advice on factoring maintenance costs. A home inspection helps but, they don't just get deep enough. building a repair and replace budget will set you ahead of the game. Home ownership is a misnomer. You won't own the house, it will own you
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Your estimates seem about right but could go much higher in a hurry if you weren't alone
extreemly low compared to here.

Power $300
Water $500
Trash $73
Internet $90

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Your estimates seem about right but could go much higher in a hurry if you weren't alone
extreemly low compared to here.

Power $300
Water $500
Trash $73
Internet $90

You pay $500 a month for water?

2 adults, 2 elementary school girls

$60-180(8.16 cents per kilowatt-hour, 3rd cheapest in US) electric
N/A gas
$54-70 water+sewer
$33 trash ( they take my used oil and coolant
48.gif
)
$60 internet
$40 HOA

It probably means more if someone from FL chips in as utility costs vary from state to state and even city to city. Some have electricity so cheap that it's cheaper than using gas due to low hydro costs. The utilities around here are national and those all tell you what the high low and average is but won't break it down by month. All you have to is call them and tell them you're interested in buying a property at a certain address. Also for maintenance a rule of thumb is about 1% of the purchase price per year, but that can also vary depending if you're in a high cost or low cost state.

I'm "grid-tied" solar (about 1200 watts) and
get my water from a well on my property (100% solar pump),
septic system,
recycle 80%+ of my garbage,
and WISP internet is only $20 for me because I am a first responder.
Propane cook stove.
Solar hot water (wood fired on cold & cloudy days) and the propane tankless water heater is only used about once every 2 months...

All of my "property utilities" combined are only about $100 a month, often less.

My cell phone is $82 a month for 2 lines. What a ripoff.

Originally Posted By: Chris142

Power $300
Water $500
Trash $73
Internet $90

Definitely varies by region, our water bill in NYC is well under $500 annually with light irrigation in the summer. Our power is under $300, but not by much.

Contact the utility company and find out what the averages are in the area where you're purchasing. You can also find out the history of usage from the current owners. Then you'll know for certain rather than guessing.
Originally Posted By: gregk24

I am estimating:
(per month)

$200 electric
$50 gas
$50 water
$25 trash
$25 sewer
$50 internet

Some of those seem extremely high. Unless it's a huge house or very poorly insulated, $200 in electric is very high. In the summer, when the air conditioning is running almost constantly we're 1/2 that to keep around 4,400 square feet cool (April's bill was $47). Same with gas-we use propane to heat the house and shop in the winter, along with cooking, grilling and clothes drying; if you were to amortize it out over 12 months it is less than $50/month. Water is around $30/month (septic tank so no monthly sewer costs).

You left out one of the most important factors: number of people living in the house.

I live by myself and here the the typical costs. Seeing you are in FL as well, the cost estimates will be closer than some of the outrages costs seen in this thread.

$30-100 Winter/Summer electric
$50-20 Winter/Summer gas
$50 water 1 PERSON multiply this by number of people living in house (Sewer and trash are included in the bill where I live)
$(see above) trash
$(See above) sewer
$70 internet

I also factor in property taxes and home insurance a month, but that will vary on the price of the house, also see if there is an HOA fee, if it is not in a gated neighborhood, it could be around $500 a year. If gated, double that at least.

I spend about $90-100 a month on electric in the winter and fall. In the summer using the AC, it jumps up to $180-200. I have oil heat, and I spend on average $171 per month. All other appliances are electric. I spend $35 a month for trash pickup. No water or sewer bill, as I have a private well and septic tank.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Contact the utility company and find out what the averages are in the area where you're purchasing. You can also find out the history of usage from the current owners. Then you'll know for certain rather than guessing.
Originally Posted By: gregk24

I am estimating:
(per month)

$200 electric
$50 gas
$50 water
$25 trash
$25 sewer
$50 internet

Some of those seem extremely high. Unless it's a huge house or very poorly insulated, $200 in electric is very high. In the summer, when the air conditioning is running almost constantly we're 1/2 that to keep around 4,400 square feet cool (April's bill was $47). Same with gas-we use propane to heat the house and shop in the winter, along with cooking, grilling and clothes drying; if you were to amortize it out over 12 months it is less than $50/month. Water is around $30/month (septic tank so no monthly sewer costs).

The OP is in Florida. Totally different climate.

Depending on square footage and A/C or Heat pump SEER rating, $200 might be very optimistic. With 3 kids in the house, and all the electronic gizmos running, in the summer heat, we had a few electric bills in the $350 range. That's in a newer house, with a good AC unit but with all of the heavy users home...and coastal VA isn't quite Florida hot...

Ask the previous owner to see bills for summer and winter. House size matters, typically gas is cheaper than elecrric.

for us, a family of four I budget about $400 for electric and gas as it is in 1 bill - dead of winter and heat of summer costs the most. Sewer is 156 per 6 months. Fios is about 200 per month. Water is around 45 month.

Be aware that a house in FL may not be covered 100% by insurance. AC units seem to go quicker and you may have additional expenses due to the climate. My MIL was in Fort Myers and what I am saying happened to her but it may not be true throughout Fl.

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
You left out one of the most important factors: number of people living in the house.

I live by myself and here the the typical costs. Seeing you are in FL as well, the cost estimates will be closer than some of the outrages costs seen in this thread.

$30-100 Winter/Summer electric
$50-20 Winter/Summer gas
$50 water 1 PERSON multiply this by number of people living in house (Sewer and trash are included in the bill where I live)
$(see above) trash
$(See above) sewer
$70 internet

I also factor in property taxes and home insurance a month, but that will vary on the price of the house, also see if there is an HOA fee, if it is not in a gated neighborhood, it could be around $500 a year. If gated, double that at least.

Thanks for that info, but I didn't leave number of people out. Re-read my post.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Start factoring maintenance costs as well. What's the cost of a roof? It'll need one some day, budget for monthly saving for one. Pipe starts leaking in a wall, cost of that. Lawn care and any tree removals needed? Mowers and equipment can be pricy. Appliances getting old? 200 amp breaker box already?

I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back