Pressurized expansiontank slightly overfilled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hallo.

Got our car back from a service today, and they have topped up the coolant. Now..when hot it is filled to 7-10 mm above the MAX line. I know it is rarely a good idea to owerfill any fluid. But should I worry? He cooling system is with a pressurized expansiontank. At least..they used the right fluid.

The car is a 2014 Toyota auris 1.6 valvematic.

Thanks all. And have a nice day.

Søren

On that i wouldnt worry. You can always go to the dollar store and buy a turkey baster if it really bothers you. If there is too much fluid the car will just puke it out when hot.

If this service involved draining the system, drive a few times to work any trapped air up to the reservoir before taking any out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mk378
If this service involved draining the system, drive a few times to work any trapped air up to the reservoir before taking any out.

It was only a top off. Not a fluid change.

Originally Posted By: mk378
exactly! I often o
ver fill then slightly for this reason

No biggie, the reservoir on my Buick has been probably a couple inches over MAX for the past 3 years (does have a huge reservoir tank though)

10mm is not that much over. leave it especially if there is still more room.

if the tank were completely full i would take different action.

another consideration is you said this is a top off. that means you had a loss somewhere. so in some time it will come down to max.

a lot of folks go with the theory thatthe slight expansion tank losses are evaporation of water only, which means to top off with just plain distilled water and only replace the h2o, as all the other chemicals remained just in concentrate.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
10mm is not that much over. leave it especially if there is still more room.

if the tank were completely full i would take different action.

another consideration is you said this is a top off. that means you had a loss somewhere. so in some time it will come down to max.

a lot of folks go with the theory thatthe slight expansion tank losses are evaporation of water only, which means to top off with just plain distilled water and only replace the h2o, as all the other chemicals remained just in concentrate.

Yep, pretty much what raytseng said.

I little over doesn't matter, as long as it's not completely full, and it will probably drop a little with time.

My car expansion tank level was on the dot when I got a new water pump fitted about 2 years ago. Over that time it has slowly dropped to 10 mm below the line. Just last week I added some demineralized water, and put it a bit above the line.

Last edited:
I agree . No problem . Drive it for a few days or a week & check it again .

As long as it is not belching coolant from the overflow tube . Even if it does , I would guess it is a self correcting issue .

God bless
Wyr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back