STP basic blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at the STP basic blue oil filters the other day at the auto parts store and every box I opened has a metal core and not one was ecore plastic cage in the center. All the ones I have seen cut open here and other places has a plastic center cage did they improve them?

They state 93% efficiency on the box is that about normal range for an entry level filter?

My understanding is they changed suppliers and all going to Korean made with all of them being metal center tube design. My local VatoZone still has a mix of old Champ made filters with the newer Korean made ones replacing them by attrition.

All STP blue were never all ecores anyway. Some applications like the shorty 6607 was 'classic' Champ metal endcap construction. At least in this area at last check not too long ago, the AZ STP 'Blue' filters were still a combination of the old 'fram filtration' filters. In other words, some fram fiber construction some Champ made, including some ecore like the popular 3614. That may change at some point, but what I've seen at area AZs to this point.

It's an entry level value tier filter, consistent with a ~5k mi. max oci/fci.

As for the efficiency, I can't remember if the boxes have a micron rating to go with the percent. If not, doesn't mean much. But either way 'imo', if it's really a priority for you, use something else.

Champion no longer supplies the STP filter. AZ buys direct from an offshore manufacturer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Motorking
Champion no longer supplies the STP filter. AZ buys direct from an offshore manufacturer.

Thanks for the info Jay
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Motorking

Jay, that is good to know. Thanks.

I've previously read the comment about the STP Blue being "off shored" dating to the first of February as posted HERE, same OP. Checking local AZ stores today, been no change since that post. The STP blue are still the old 'fram filtration' filters. Examples include the S2808 which is fram fiber construction. The S6607 is still classic Champ metal endcap with blue button bypass. And the S3614, an ecore as it's long been. Manufacture dates are as recent as late March on some of the filters. That would be new stock since February. Have some pics which I may post at some point.

But to this point at area AZ here no change from previous manufacturer or construction. Only STP blue I saw off shored (Korea) was a cartridge, but that would be similar to fram and others.

As noted in link, STP XL made in Korea by Daewha. But that information a couple/few years old now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back