Best injector cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Techron or Regane. Either one that I find on sale gets used twice a year. I use nothing but Top-Tier fuel except for the once a month fill up using the Kroger points.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Techron as per bottle directions. Top Tier gas.

Forget MMO and Lucas.

I knew the response had to be from Donald as soon as I finished reading the second sentence.
Apparently MMO didn't sit well with him at one time or another

Had two different Subarus throw a PO420 code. In one case new O2 sensors would not keep it off. In both cases STP Ultra cleaned things up and it never returned. I tried a number of other cleaners including cataclean and they did not work. One bottle of STP Ultra and the code light stayed off on both vehicles.

Last edited:
It seems that the STP Ultra might be one of the "real deal" among the laundry list of garbage STP products. It's fairly readily available here, but the price is a bit jaw dropping. If I can get Red Line at a better price every day of the week, that's a problem.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:
Gumout Regane High Mileage has a nice pricepoint.

Yep. Currently $4.44 on Rollback at WM through August 3. It and Techron CFSC are my two favorites. Got the latter (20oz size) on a nice rebate deal last year, ~$3 a bottle AR iirc.

I snagged half a dozen of the Gumout Regane HM "old" style bottles for 99 cents each at O'Reilly a while back. Still have one or two left.

Truly the best way to clean the injectors is to remove them and send them off for ultrasonic cleaning... if you can go without the vehicle for a few days.

About the additives on your list, I have only used Techron, Lucas UCL & injector cleaner, SeaFoam, and MMO.
My opinion of these 4 that I have used:
-- Techron is the best, SeaFoam is very good, Lucas is good and MMO is more of a UCL than anything else.
-- Techron and SeaFoam may solve certain driveability issues but will not substitute for a repair, if needed.
-- Lucas is more of a maintenance thing (I use it every other tankful)
-- I might not need any fuel additives if I ran premium fuel brands all the time, unfortunately they aren't available everywhere I go... gotta use cheap gas once in a while.
-- Many tests have been done of the various fuel additives on the market... one could spend all day watching YouTube videos on this topic.

Diesel does have a load of additives in it, but the stuff about supermarket diesel is nonsense, all fuel is refined in the same refineries, it doesn't matter which brand you use, the fuel in a particular area will have come from the refinery that is closest to where you buy it
ATF or even engine oil can help with lubricity (a ridiculous made up word) modern low sulphur diesels do not have the lubrication of older fuels, so you can have injector problems as a result, but be careful what you put in, oils have additives too and some of them can damage the fuel system :idea:

The best thing to use is the Lucas upper cylinder lubricant and injector cleaner https://wheelstips.com/best-diesel-injector-cleaner although even that is unnecessary, injectors will go a million miles without it. Some people will of course swear by their additives, saying they've used them from day one and not had a problem, it's kind of like putting a notice on your fridge saying that no elephants are allowed inside, you can guarantee that it will work, but I don't have a notice on my fridge, yet I've never had an elephant in it, maybe I'm just lucky :lol:

Any other additives that promise increased mpg are pure snake oil, especially ones that can also be added to the crankcase to protect your engine or the oil in it. The only way to improve fuel mileage from the diesel is to improve its BTU content and diesel is one of the most efficient substance on the planet for BTU content, for any product to work it would need to have a better BTU value than diesel and cost less than diesel, none of them do, so you may as well save your money and just buy diesel in the first place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back