You a 1/2 ton, 3/4, or 1 ton pickup owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take the time to lube anything that pivots/moves.Seats and doors and such. Amazing at what a little bit of lube will do to make things last longer.

Depends on where the truck has gone.Good to check if any water has been crossed.There are vents.But better to over do it than to ignore stuff and pay out big time later.

Originally Posted By: ron17571
Depends on where the truck has gone.Good to check if any water has been crossed.There are vents.But better to over do it than to ignore stuff and pay out big time later.

Nobody said anything about ignoring maintenance. We are talking the excessive dollars spent on "over maintenance" here on BITOG.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: southernjeeper
Change your rear DIFFERENTIAL fluid.

You will not believe how this oil is overlooked by owners on getting drained and refilled.

Those ring and pinion gears need oil that is not broken down completely, especially when TOWING, heavy stop n go traffic and water crossings (which we all know is a no no) unless you are asking for trouble.

Make sure you add the additive for the limited slip.

80w90
75w140
And so on

It smells terrible but change the fluid. 15,000 severe, 30,000 normal.

But who has a truck and drives normal/ideal. A truck is a workhorse not a show pony.

That's way too often dude.

Oil is cheaper than a new rear end or parts/labor.

I changed mine last year because it was a fleet truck. Tire wear and just knowing better than just driving it with how it was was not probably changed very often was why I drained it.

Amsoil is very expensive and would be worth it if I towed really heavy loads.

But I opted for Valvoline 75w140 full syn instead.
I didn't add the Mopar additive due to the bottle shows that it is already in the oil for the limited slip.

But I do have the additive now to add to the Valvoline. Mobil 1 full syn when I think the Valvoline cleans out any more crud as I didn't really check for fine metal shavings or grit.

Maintenance is far better than replacing gears and axle shafts.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Change your rear DIFFERENTIAL fluid.

You will not believe how this oil is overlooked by owners on getting drained and refilled.

Those ring and pinion gears need oil that is not broken down completely, especially when TOWING, heavy stop n go traffic and water crossings (which we all know is a no no) unless you are asking for trouble.

Make sure you add the additive for the limited slip.

80w90
75w140
And so on

It smells terrible but change the fluid. 15,000 severe, 30,000 normal.

But who has a truck and drives normal/ideal. A truck is a workhorse not a show pony.

That's way too often dude.

I changed mine last year because it was a fleet truck. Tire wear and just knowing better than just driving it with how it was was not probably changed very often was why I drained it.

I didn't add the Mopar additive due to the bottle shows that it is already in the oil for the limited slip.

But I do have the additive now to add to the Valvoline. Mobil 1 full syn when I think the Valvoline cleans out any more crud as I didn't really check for fine metal shavings or grit.

Rear ends don't go out much these days-if they are not abused. Again-no one said anything against maintenance...but 15,000 mile change out is absurd.

My new 17 3500 calls for some short indexes. If frequently towing do it every 24,000km. Well I will definitely change it out then and replace with some better than the 75w85 unicorn p1ss they want in it.

Originally Posted By: BrianF
My new 17 3500 calls for some short indexes. If frequently towing do it every 24,000km. Well I will definitely change it out then and replace with some better than the 75w85 unicorn p1ss they want in it.

Having set-up too many sets of gears to recall, and having seen the results of a lack of proper break-in, and an oil change after the break-in, I plan to change the factory fill on my '17 3500 at around 5k. By then I'll have towed heavy several times, and the gears should be fully work-hardened. I want to get any break-in debris out of the housing.

I'm still liking the truck. Thanks for the bad influence.
grin.gif

So is the 80w90 oil better for SUVs and sports cars?

And the 75/85w140 is the ideal oil to use for 1/2, 3/4,1tons?

If I were going use the Severe gear that Amsoil sells I would change at a longer interval due to it being a beyond the top of the line Gear oil.

The Mobil 1 and Valvoline would be the only other I would consider.

The bulk oil that is sold by the barrels is good, but depending on brand would be good enough?

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
What size would my truck be considered? It is a 97 toyota t100 (basically same size as a tundra).

3/8's ton. It's smaller than a full size but not a mini. Maybe 7/16's since it was larger than the Dakota.

wink.gif

Amsoil 75w-140 seems to be around the same price as Valvoline, and cheaper than M1.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
I don't believe mine has ever been changed in my pickup.

I think it over done. I never do differential oil changes and never had a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back