Quiet down an old engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a good oil additive that I can use to quiet down the engine in my 05 Ford focus. I know that many people will say something like "tear apart the engine and fix the problem." Well for me, that just really isn't an option. I'm just wanting to know what a good additive is, that is well known for making engines run more quiet. I'm running royal purple 5w20 in the engine. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Most people wont say to add an oil additive. Most will say go up an oil grade. Like my Pontiac. Factory is 5w-30. I run 10w-40. Quiet and runs smoother.

Write down a bunch of oil names on little pieces of paper, put them in a hat, and draw them blindfolded.

Then go to Walmart and pick that oil out in a 5w30 or 10w30 weight.

+1
a good oil contains the additives needed for your engine.
off the shelf additive were popular many years ago specially if you were selling the car and wanted to make the engine or g/box quieter!!

when you say noisy engine, it is too vague to me. Is it piston slack, valve clatter; a little more info on the type of noise will help.

A thinner grade oil can make some internal components rattle. That can happen with high mileage engines or if you have used the wrong grade in the first place

5w20 looks awfully low to me. 5w30 is good or 0/5w40 better still

Torco MPZ will reduce piston slap and also using a heavier grade oil will dampen some of the sound.

MPZ is pricey at nearly $20 for 12 oz. but it definitely makes a difference.

STP and Lucas Oil Stabilizer are typically used to quiet down engines that are tired, worn, or have mechanical issues. Lucas was a favorite at a couple of dealerships I worked at to try and pass off bad trades to wholesalers.

How many miles on the engine? I had a 2.0 with a weak hole on my Ford Connect and for $400 had a engine with 7k on it delivered for $400. That little engine was used in 13 models.

Originally Posted By: bennylava
I'm looking for a good oil additive that I can use to quiet down the engine in my 05 Ford focus.

There's really no such thing. A 12 year old car engine shouldn't be making so much noise that it's really bothersome; if it is then you have issues that need addressed with something more than snake oil. Find out what's causing the noise if it's more than just normal engine noise.

Originally Posted By: bennylava
I'm looking for a good oil additive that I can use to quiet down the engine in my 05 Ford focus. I know that many people will say something like "tear apart the engine and fix the problem." Well for me, that just really isn't an option. I'm just wanting to know what a good additive is, that is well known for making engines run more quiet. I'm running royal purple 5w20 in the engine. Thanks in advance!

Wow, running 5/20 syn in an engine that needs work? First off ditch the synthetic oil.

The answer is easy, run conventional oil such as Super Tech, Castrol (any conventional oil from Walamrt) in the 10/40 weight since you live in Texas.
Colder areas or extreme winter maybe a 5/30.

(I think I just answered a bot)

Last edited:
I've never used oil additives but many report a smooth quiet engine with Liqui Moly MOS2. Maybe run that with some 10W30 Pennzoil yellow bottle conventional.

The early duratecs with the plastic intake manifold had problems with "swirl flaps" in the runners breaking off and going into the engine. Do some reading on it as it can sound like engine noise when they get loose.

Don't use any additives.
Just stop using 20 wt oil and go to a good 10-30.
If that doesn't help,try a10-40 but no thicker.
If that makes no difference, then either fix it or just live with it.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Your problem may not be the engine at all. It could be the flap valves in the intake manifold. Here is a video explaining this issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRXRMHl34Ho

Agreed.

I have the same motor and before it hit 100k miles the issues I've had which affect engine noise are:
-bad motor mount (only use Ford OEM part, anything else will fail). Also caused excessive vibrations in the interior
-leaking exhaust flex pipe

I also added a thick goop of under body insulation. I applied this to the underside of the hood to absorb noise. It stays flexible when it dries to absorb the noise. Seems to have reduced some noise as these cars were never fitted with anything like this from the factory (but should have been). Later model Focus' including the current generation all have a pad attached to the underside of the hood.

These engines are not nearly as refined as those offered by the Japanese competition. As a result, they need additional care which would usually not affect cars of this age. This will be the last Focus I own mostly because of the excessive NVH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back