Tire Pressure Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pressures should be set cold, cause riding 1 mile down the road, pressure can jump 4 psi. I would never run 40 psi cold on a track, unless it was a 600 to 1000 pound bike. a light weight bike, would have no traction.

Originally Posted By: shanneba
Michelin suggests 32.2 psi for the rear.

is that 32.2 psi maximum cold?
I did that michelin link you posted again and I put in my classic model and it came up 30.8 psi front / 35 psi rear, are these numbers on the michelin site maximum psi cold?
I was going to put in 34F/37R but looks like I should put in 30.5F/35R

http://motorcycle.michelinman.com/US/en/tires/KAWASAKI/VN 800 Classic/2005.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Degreaser
... are these numbers on the michelin site maximum psi cold?

Tire pressure recommendations from manufacturer's are always cold (ambient temp) pressures.

I have found the same as Zee mentions.
With radial tyre the process is the same.
The pressure goes up with temperature
You need to up the tyre pressure (normally the back one only) if you are carrying extra weight or a pillion

Also the percentage change varies with the size (and the amount of air it holds). Your thinners front tyre will go up & down more than the fat rear

Of course if you use nitrogen, then in theory, pressure change is reduced!

Originally Posted By: bonjo

I think Nitrogen has to obey the gas laws just the same so pressure will vary with temperature but being dry there should be no extra issue with water content.

Really!?!

To what theory are you referring?

The ideal gas law, not to mention Boyle's Law, would say otherwise. Don't UK grammar schools teach science anymore? Boyle was a Brit, wasn't he?

smile.gif

Sure gases compress or expand with temperature but do they all react the same way? Maybe your guy boyle has something about it.

I'm not going to use the word theory again
cool.gif
but from my experience riding a motorcycle. When I changed to nitrogen, I could feel the ride was a little harder from cold whereas with normal air there was more compliance when the tyres were cold

I think the key difference is what barryh referred to which is the other element such as air humidity and nitrogen fills have much less impurity in them (and also larger molecules which should reduce long term leaking) anyway that's the theory (ooops)

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Really!?!

To what theory are you referring?

The ideal gas law, not to mention Boyle's Law, would say otherwise. Don't UK grammar schools teach science anymore? Boyle was a Brit, wasn't he?

Science denial is a strong thing...

science is never absolute and can be taken apart. Neither are most other things.
what's right today has a good chance of being wrong in 15 years later. My view is that nature is too complex for science or any other thought process can ever explain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back