Anyone headed to Sturgis this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to be my first one. I'm thinking I might spend a day there, and a couple in Wyoming.... MT. Rushmore, Devils Tower...

Sturgis is on my to-do list also; I lived up in that area for almost 4 years. Don't miss out on the Little Bighorn National Monument, it's 1 hour East of Billings, MT and an easy ride from everything you're already there for!

Took a guided tour through the area a few years ago. Beautiful country. I'd love to visit again on a motorcycle. We passed through Sturgis 1 week before the event. Cyclists were thick even a week in front. Vendors were already set up...
Joe

Originally Posted By: montero1
Going to be my first one. I'm thinking I might spend a day there, and a couple in Wyoming.... MT. Rushmore, Devils Tower...

I've been there about a dozen times over the years. You are going to need more than a day to see just the two things you listed. For the full flavor I suggest camping at the Buffalo Chip for a night or two, but don 't expect to sleep much
smile.gif

I've been a few times. The last couple I attended, it seemed more like a Motorcycle Trailer Rally. No plans to go back during the 'Motorcycle Trailer Rally'.

I'm going this year (also bringing my bike on a trailer because I live in Virginia). Staying in Wall, SD and riding to Sturgis for the rally and also going to ride the Badlands. Should be lots of fun. Don't know why some people criticize the guys who bring their bikes in on trailers I ride a Dyna and am old. Don't want to be miserable. Want to have fun, but to each their own.

Originally Posted By: blueglide88
Originally Posted By: montero1

I've been there about a dozen times over the years. You are going to need more than a day to see just the two things you listed. For the full flavor I suggest camping at the Buffalo Chip for a night or two, but don 't expect to sleep much
smile.gif

I'll probably be there a good four days, If I really enjoy it, I may head back up in October. I'm more in it for the riding in the area, not the boobs, bars, and beer.

The Badlands National Park is the place to ride. The entrance is near Wall, SD. I toured it in a car 2 years ago, but on a motorcycle should be really cool.

Originally Posted By: monterol

I've ridden (and also camped) in that area many times over the years. Beautiful area!

I will say though, if you're going during the Bike week, it's CRAZY crowded in that entire part of SD and WY. Roads are packed, restaurants are packed, parking lots are packed, hotels are packed. Did I mention it gets crowded everywhere? The Black Hills get inundated during that week. It can get crazy; just be prepared. If people-watching and social buffoonery are what you crave, you'll be in the right place. Once that week passes, it becomes "normal" again.

I always plan my trips to avoid that week. But many crave that experience, often more than once. To each his own. I am not saying it's not any fun; I hear great stories and fantastic things happen (some good; some a bit harrowing). It's just that, IMHO, there are two reasons to go to Sturgis:
a) going to enjoy the entire Black Hill experience; the scenery in that 200 mile radius offers a ton of great riding and stuff to see
b) going to enjoy the zaniness that is a bike-week extravaganza
It's hard to enjoy "a" when you're caught up in "b", is all I'm saying.

If you really want to have it both ways, then do it twice. Once during bike week, then again on any other of the summer/fall weekends where the crowds and stupidity dwindle down.

Last edited:
Do the Badlands early in the morning...the afternoon is hot and not a comfortable ride. Enter from Wall area, the Pinnacle area and travel eastward along the Loop, when you get to the end make a right on 377 and then 44 west to Scenic, which is a neat little ghost town..the Tatanka trading post is there and the town population (3-10) will be out there selling cold drinks and food items..

I'll be heading to Glacier National Park (Going to the Sun) and Beartooth Pass, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Jackson Hole, Zyon NP and Bryce Canyon this year on the scoot..about 4500 mile trip!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I'm going this year (also bringing my bike on a trailer because I live in Virginia). Staying in Wall, SD and riding to Sturgis for the rally and also going to ride the Badlands. Should be lots of fun. Don't know why some people criticize the guys who bring their bikes in on trailers I ride a Dyna and am old. Don't want to be miserable. Want to have fun, but to each their own.

As I was flying from New England to the western US today, it reminded me of this thread. From 30,000+ feet, you can see the USA, but it's not the same as viewing it from the seat of a Motorcycle.

It's not my intention to belittle anyone that chooses to trailer their bike anywhere. I'm just saying that as a Motorcyclist, it is quite the experience to ride across this great Nation. It's an experience every Motorcyclist should have at least once.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I would prefer major dental work to Sturgis.

Tell us how you really feel, lol. I went to Sturgis to work for a vendor about 02. Quite a trip. I did meet a local that I have stayed in touch with and look forward to seeing him and getting to ride around the area--after the rally this year.I would never go there again during the rally. Of course I went to the Dragon and once was plenty for me there, too, but many love the heck out of both those places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back