why no extra efficient air filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Denso doesn't offer an air filter for my truck.

I snagged one of the last Purolator PureOne air filters in my area yesterday for a little over $13 out the door using online discount code and Speedperks reward. I think these have been discontinued as AAP says they have zero remaining warehouse stock. Next closest store with one is over 100 miles away.

LINK

Last edited:
Yes sir you are correct in that assumption. My AAP did not have the Purolator Pureone air filter either. They gone. It leaves only the STP premium air filter at Autozone. The TG air have been discontinued at Wally World already. I have a STP premium air in my car now.

Walmart still offers the FRAM Tough Guard TGA 9401 for my truck but I have to order it from Walmart.com, for either free delivery to store or home delivery. Amazon also carries this filter. Unfortunately for me these are currenty reduced (75%) pleat height models so I'm snagging NOS full pleat height filters for my truck when I find them. Got two full pleat height TGA 9401 off eBay for $12.50 each to my door recently as well as my local Pure One air filter find. The STP PSA 9401 is also a reduced pleat height model and $10 more than the reduced pleat height TGA 9401 available through Walmart.com and Amazon.

Motorking / Jay informed me Walmart stopped stocking FRAM Tough Guard air filters on shelves when they started stocking K&N air filters on shelves if K&N offered a filter for the same application as a FRAM TGA.

FRAM has lost a lot of retail shelf space in the last few years. Motorking / Jay says FRAM will offer their own on-line store by the end of this year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CR94
You can create your own "extra efficient" air filter simply by putting a few miles on any decent quality ordinary filter.

This.

Lots of people looking to throw away their money in this thread.

Annual air filter changes on all my vehicles
cheers3.gif

Better filtration in an equal-size filter will result in more air restriction. High flow and high filtration do not co-exist in this application. It's one or the other aka compromise. Stock air filters that are used in stock engines will be fine for 90% + of drivers. The factory/OEM air filter is probably the best filtration you will get without spending beaucoup bucks for a consumable item such as an *air filter.* The only way to improve (as another said) is to perfect the seal inside the air box. Get some air filter grease if you really want to.

BITOG is full of OCD worry warts. I do it sometimes too, so I'm not pointing fingers, I'm just saying. In this case I can say with confidence: there are better things to worry about.

If one were apply a step system to the filtration, coarse, medium, fine filters, in 3 seperate layers, would you lose airflow as you maintained surface area.

Originally Posted By: DGXR
Better filtration in an equal-size filter will result in more air restriction. High flow and high filtration do not co-exist in this application. It's one or the other aka compromise. Stock air filters that are used in stock engines will be fine for 90% + of drivers. The factory/OEM air filter is probably the best filtration you will get without spending beaucoup bucks for a consumable item such as an *air filter.* The only way to improve (as another said) is to perfect the seal inside the air box. Get some air filter grease if you really want to.

BITOG is full of OCD worry warts. I do it sometimes too, so I'm not pointing fingers, I'm just saying. In this case I can say with confidence: there are better things to worry about.

Perhaps higher particle capture with adequate flow is achievable.

I see many who posit OEM air filters as best choice but never see such posts including numerical data to support that assertion.

The Mopar air filter for my truck has 98% efficiency on the side of the filter alongside the model number, rated flow rate, COO, etc.

Motorking has repeatedly posted standard Fram CAXXXX air filters exceed 98% efficiency, it rounds to 99%. Similarly, Purolator PureOne and Wix air filters state 99% and 99.5% efficiency, respectively. The Fram TGAXXXX series must exceed 99% efficiency by capturing double the dirt of the standard CAXXXX series air filters.

So, at least in this application, the data disproves the assertion OEM air filter is the best choice. Factor in price of OEM at typically 2 to 3 times that of the various aftermarket options I mentioned and you have a case of lowest efficiency at highest price by choosing OEM.

Now, installer grade air filters like current Microgard by Wix and Purolator Classic quote efficiencies in the 96% range, so these options are less efficient than OEM but at a significantly lower cost than OEM.

Pentius states their aftermarket air filters meet or exceed OEM in both efficiency and flow capacity. I bought some Pentius air filters for my application brand new from Amazon for less than $3 per filter, about one tenth the cost of OEM.

For me an analytical approach to air filter purchase choice for my truck has value. It's a far cry from "worrying" in my case, simply being data driven instead of emotionally driven.

YMMV

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha

Motorking has repeatedly posted standard Fram CAXXXX air filters exceed 98% efficiency, it rounds to 99%. Similarly, Purolator PureOne and Wix air filters state 99% and 99.5% efficiency, respectively. The Fram TGAXXXX series must exceed 99% efficiency by capturing double the dirt of the standard CAXXXX series air filters.
Now, installer grade air filters like current Microgard by Wix and Purolator Classic quote efficiencies in the 96% range, so these options are less efficient than OEM but at a significantly lower cost than OEM. ...
A filter that stops 99% of particles is not "capturing double the dirt" of one that stops 98%, which would be stopping 196%, which is impossible. Instead, it's passing half as much.

What size particles are those numbers assuming? In dusty environments, permitting 4% of all abrasive particles to get through would be an awful lot.

Methinks you don't really understand math.

Consider a hypothetical filter that allows 5g of dirt get past, and captures 95g of dirt.

Then a second hypothetical filter that lets 2.5g of dirt get past, capturing 97.5g of dirt.

The second filter has twice the ability of the first filter for stopping dirt, on an absolute mass basis. The world of numbers doesn't consist only of percentages.

You should Google around regarding coarse test dust and fine test dust used for automotive air filter testing to answer your own questions, and explore Motorking's posts in the Air Filters section of this board. He did state most such manufacturers quote numbers for air filters based on coarse test dust which at least does yield same basis comparisons.

But I didn't intend to cause you worry.

While you're at it, post up some OEM efficiency numbers for us.

Last edited:
OEM air filter system leakage wound up giving me a dirty MAF sensor and a light film of dirt going up the pipe into my intake. Wasn't too happy about that. MAF sensor was so dirty I gave up trying to clean it and wound up just replacing the little devil.

The OEM air filter would plug up within a couple months as well, causing a restriction on the air intake (as evidenced by my vacuum gauge on the intake popping closed due to the heavy suction created by the intake air draw). I am very happy with my S&B filter. 4 months so far without needing to clean it yet, a bit dirty but still seems to be moving air nicely.

Last edited:
Because resistance to air flow.

You want to see perfection in a UOA? Impossible. Million mile Joe would laugh at your UOA concern.

I say buy a pressure tank and feed it sweet, purified air. Raise the o2 content while your at it. Sure you have to stop a lot for refills...
How large would a centrifuge/whirlpool type air cleaner need to be to seperate the heavier particules? Yep spelled that wrong.

My Focus has a lifetime air filter system, with a mechanical gauge that hasn't moved as far as I can tell. Some people replace the system but I've never heard of issues with it. It also happens to be a nearly perfect CAI as well with OBDII air intake temps matching ambient when its not idling.
Unless you are seeking the last 1-2% of engine performance, the factory systems are good enough, and often better than the aftermarket systems, in filtration effciency and intake air temps...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back