oil consumption problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 Chevy Classic with the 2.2L 4 cyl. This started at about 150000 miles. It doesn't need oil after a change for about 3000 miles. I normally change at 5K intervals. After it starts needing oil it goes progressively less before needing another qt. Last time I changed it at 4700 miles because it needed oil. It used 3 qts between 3k and 4700 after not needing any the first 3k. No noticeable leaks and dry underneath. Currently running Pennzoil HM 5w30. I've also tried Valvoline Maxlife. What causes this? Any advice is appreciated.

Is that an ecotec? In mine the valve guides sorta went all of a sudden(not really but the seals give out all of a sudden.) Mine never used a drop until one day it did. Sad truth is a motor that doesnt use any is bad. The valve seals seal so good it runs the guides dry until there is so much play it ruins the seals. No oil can solve this. Just keep adding oil or have the head rebuilt.not sure why it shows up how you say it does though....maybe the high mileage additive package swells the seals up good and then wears out. Maybe change at 3k.

You're lucky it goes that long before consuming.The Classic was a fleet only car,with only 1 drivetrain...the Ecotec 4 with automatic,and some fleets aren't so keen on changing the oil when its required,especially when they plan on unloading it when its a few years old.That initial lack of maintenance would only get worse over time.If you got 150K before that started happening,you got lucky.

The 2.2 also has big issues with the timing chain tensioner getting loose and good by valves. A kit to replace with upgraded tensioner is under $100. Mine in a HHR went south at around 155k. Look up a replacement video on Youtube

It was a rental. I bought it 6 years ago at 93000 miles. Only thing I've had to do to it of note was replace a fuel pump. I've got my money's worth out of it and I'm not complaining I just don't understand the oil consumption pattern.

Try 10w30. Its summer. Will be easy to figure out by winter if its the 5w30 grade with somewat high noacks.

I know mine consumes on the highway (long drives).
So take note of city v hwy.
Once its low it should go south faster i would think.
Downward spiral?
But qsud 10w30 did cure my ford after trying a lot with different grades including 5w30.

I live in northern Arkansas so I may try the 10w30. I appreciate all who weighed in on the thread.

I have had a couple vehicles that started burning 1/2 way through an interval like yours does....no real explanation for it.

I checked the vent hose and it was open with no oil around it. This car has no pcv valve interestingly enough.

Originally Posted By: bovine1
I checked the vent hose and it was open with no oil around it. This car has no pcv valve interestingly enough.

It's got to have one somewhere. You may have checked the fresh air inlet hose and not the pcv. The pcv will go into the intake manifold somewhere past the throttle plate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back