Rarest Sound in Aviation - Have you heard ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mentioned MD-80s in an earlier post, and I thought this might be interesting to anyone here who is a pilot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R0CViDUBFs

This is a commentary by Kent Wien on the interesting oddities of the MD-80 aircraft. Kent Wien is the son of Merrill Wien, and grandson of Noel Wien. Their family started Wien Air Alaska, dating back to the 1920s, and are truly legends of aviation here in Alaska.

This is a pretty good sound... from some old mechanics who do a bit of picking.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
We had old Grumman HU-16s when I was in the service (USCG 1978-1982) but they were phasing them out then. I think they used a 9 cylinder engine.

Yup, Wright 9 cyl 1820's, used to watch them practice JATO takeoffs when I was stationed at NAS Agana Guam in the early 70's, they would takeoff like a howling banshee and go almost straight up, but when the Jatos quit the plane would start to settle quickly till those old recips screaming at max power would catch up and get the plane flying again
lol.gif

Rarest sound has got to start with the 1903 Wright Flyer engine... not
only did the Wrights solve 3 axis controlled flight they designed and
built their own 4 cylinder aircraft engine consistently delivering 12
horsepower...

Cylinders: 4
Stroke: 4 in (10.2 cm)
Bore: 4 in (10.2 cm)
Displacement: 201 in3 (3.3 l3)
Horsepower:12
Ignition: Make-and-brake powered by low-tension (10-volt) magneto.
Weight: 180 lbs (81.6 kg)
Unique features: Aluminum block, no carburetor.

engburn.gif

elecsys.gif

lubesys.gif

timing.gif

powert.gif

fuelsys.gif

com2.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Originally Posted By: Astro14
When it was fire season in Colorado, the fire bombers were often flying from JEFFCO, 4 miles from our house. I used to love hearing the sound of the big radials as the PB4Y Privateers (a single tail, USN version of the B-24) would climb out over our house...with all 4 PW R-1830s at full power...

There's just nothing like them...

Back in the 60's and 70's the airtankers, (Borate Bombers) as they were called back then would fly over our house when they would turn east towards the Sierras fighting another wildfire, the sound of those recips was like music to my ears, B17's,F7F's,TBM's, C119's,DC4's,DC6's AND 7's and an ocassional PB4Y, PBY. They would fly out of the Porterville Air Attack Base.

To this day I think of summertime in Porterville when I hear a large recip. Our neighborhood must have been near their pattern.

There is a B-25 housed at the Co Spgs airport that regularly flies around; when it comes back in from the north at cruise altitude, it goes over my place. It's a mechanical symphony! You can hear it 30 miles away as it drops altitude to land at KCOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back